Jimmie Johnson wins record fourth straight NASCAR title

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jimmie Johnson wins record fourth straight NASCAR title

Thanks
    My Ride
    16 Traverse LT/ 08 Malibu 2LT

Jimmie Johnson wins record fourth straight NASCAR title

Jimmie Johnson took fifth place at the Ford 400 to secure his record-setting fourth consecutive Sprint Cup Sunday night at Homestead-Miami Speedway. Denny Hamlin led the final 56 laps to win the race.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2009...SCAR/911229997

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 American_Muscle's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Monte Carlo SS/2001/Black

Re: Jimmie Johnson wins record fourth straight NASCAR title

While I'm always glad a Chevy wins, its amazing how lucky this guy gets. Does he have talent? Yeah, he's a good driver, but not GREAT by any means. His team however is amazing (when they aren't cheating). Great team + endless amounts of luck + a mediocre driver gets you a championship.

But that's how NASCAR likes its new Chase for the Cup, you can suck all year long but as long as your good 8 out of the last ten races in a season, your a champion.

And incase anyone wants to call Jimmie the greatest driver of all time, when have you ever see him win with a bad car? Or have to overcome something to win or finish bad. Getting 2 lucky dog passes in a row and staying out under green doesn't count. That falls under his luck and great team behind him. Anybody driving that car would have had 4 championships, yet I don;t think he would ever win on another team.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Suziebob's Avatar
    Thanks

Jimmie is a mediocre driver at best. Tony Stewart or Kyle Busch in a car, with a team of his caliber, would win twice as many races and the championship by twice as much. But he IS a nice guy.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Banned
    Thanks

I watched them interview all 3 Hendrick drivers,they thanked everbody and everything under the stars,but none of them thanked Chevrolet! Without chevy under their arses,they'd be sitting at the start/finish line pounding sand up their ass!

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 American_Muscle's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Monte Carlo SS/2001/Black

Tony Stewart will be winning yet another championship here within the next 5 years no question. But for the next three I'll be rooting for Mark "the kid" Martin or Junior..who is the opposite of Jimmie..good driver with bad team and NO luck at all. Can't even count the number of races this season he was running great, then got taken out by a wreck or his pit crew messed up.

Busch can drive, but he's a baby, and I don't think he can be consistent enough to win a championship.

Thanks

Jimmie Johnson wins championship? Who didn't see that one coming 3 months ago. I think this is the 1st year NASCAR didn't fine the 48 team. I've never seen Johnson win in a OK car let alone a bad car. Between his luck, NASCAR's rules and the HUGE money (not Chevy, more like Lowes and others) behind the 48 team and half-decent driving Jimi will win as many championships as he wants to.
    BTW: This was the most boring chase in its history. Other then when Jimi wrecked on the 3rd lap and points got close-ish (until the start of the next race), most people knew Jimi won the Championship after the first Chase Race.
    current rides:
    1993 Chevy Camaro Z28- LT1 auto, power everything, lots performance options, dark red.Hidden Content
    1994 Chevy Camaro-v6 auto, purple pearl metalic- running again (can't kill a chevy)Hidden Content
    1973 AMC AMX-304v8 auto, undergoing restorationHidden Content
    past GM's: 95 S10 Blazer, 89 beretta, 86 century, and alot of now dishwashers that once had bowties, blue ovals, pentastars, and one circled "H" on them.

Thanks

They didn't thank Chevy cause the only connection that GM has to NASCAR is sponsorship and a Bowtie sticker on the hood, just like every other manufacture. Chevy didn't win the championship. Chevy didn't make the engine (if they did, its to NASCAR specs. Which, other then Toyota 2 years ago, is the same engine as Dodge, Ford and Toyota.), chassis or body.
    current rides:
    1993 Chevy Camaro Z28- LT1 auto, power everything, lots performance options, dark red.Hidden Content
    1994 Chevy Camaro-v6 auto, purple pearl metalic- running again (can't kill a chevy)Hidden Content
    1973 AMC AMX-304v8 auto, undergoing restorationHidden Content
    past GM's: 95 S10 Blazer, 89 beretta, 86 century, and alot of now dishwashers that once had bowties, blue ovals, pentastars, and one circled "H" on them.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Impala/2009/Silver

Jimmie Johnson is one of the best drivers in the history of racing. I really don't like that he wins ALL THE FREAKING TIME (I'm a Junior fan) but there's no question he's a great driver. He's clearly better than his HOF teammates with the same resources, and he has done this for 4 straight years now. Before his 4 peat, he finished 2nd in points twice in a row, and he hasn't finished outside the top 5 in points in 8 straight years, etc. He also owns nearly 50 wins now.

Give the guy some credit. He is on Team Chevy, after all.

On a side note, how cool is it that Chevy won the manufacturer's title, won more races than any other make, powered the driver's champion, and powered the top 3 finishers in the points. Toyota, for all its spending and effort in Sprint Cup, isn't even coming close to dethroning Chevy as the NASCAR king.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 OLDSCHOOLGMFAN's Avatar
    Thanks

Congrats to Jimmie. He's a good guy and an excellent driver. And congrats to Chevy too for cleaning everyone's plum clock all up and down the race track!
    '07 MONTE CARLO SS, '09 AVALANCHE LTZ. [/B]

Present non-Chevy gm fleet: '05 Pontiac Bonneville gxp, '09 Buick Lucerne Super, '11 Caddy DTS platinum.

Big vehicles, big V8s, big V6s, auto transmissions, flamboyant styling, lots o' torque, lots of room, lots of comfort, lots of straight-line speed, yup, that's what I love, PURE AUTO AMERICANA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hidden Content

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 Premium Member
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '72 LT1/T56 Vega

Quote Originally Posted by American_Muscle View Post
    While I'm always glad a Chevy wins, its amazing how lucky this guy gets. Does he have talent? Yeah, he's a good driver, but not GREAT by any means. His team however is amazing (when they aren't cheating). Great team + endless amounts of luck + a mediocre driver gets you a championship.

But that's how NASCAR likes its new Chase for the Cup, you can suck all year long but as long as your good 8 out of the last ten races in a season, your a champion.

And incase anyone wants to call Jimmie the greatest driver of all time, when have you ever see him win with a bad car? Or have to overcome something to win or finish bad. Getting 2 lucky dog passes in a row and staying out under green doesn't count. That falls under his luck and great team behind him. Anybody driving that car would have had 4 championships, yet I don;t think he would ever win on another team.
    Thanks for spelling out the reason I watch ALMS exclusively. The Chase is a stupid, idiotic, moronic concept that is designed to "spice up" a boring race season.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Rocket 88 Hidden Content
    Well isn't that special, Mr. I love the Axis.
    According to the Alberta Energy and Utilities Board, Alberta's oil sand deposits contain approximately 1.7 trillion barrels of bitumen, of which over 175 billion are recoverable with current technology, and 315 billion barrels are utimately recoverable with technological advances. The Athasbasca Oil Sands Deposit is, by itself, the largest petroleum resource in the world. - Hidden Content - viewed 10-17-2007

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC thebuickguy's Avatar
    Thanks

All forms of oval racing has gotten qoute boring lately Nascar, IRL, and all the others.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by American_Muscle View Post

then why does the rest of the teams at hms win?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CamaroAMX View Post
    They didn't thank Chevy cause the only connection that GM has to NASCAR is sponsorship and a Bowtie sticker on the hood, just like every other manufacture. Chevy didn't win the championship. Chevy didn't make the engine (if they did, its to NASCAR specs. Which, other then Toyota 2 years ago, is the same engine as Dodge, Ford and Toyota.), chassis or body.
    They could ride around in go karts that have bowtie stickers on them and I will pull for the one driving the that kart!

nothing in stock car racing has had anything to do with gm in years so get over it! In offroad racing/staduim truck racing do they use the same parts as stock?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by landjet06 View Post
    I watched them interview all 3 Hendrick drivers,they thanked everbody and everything under the stars,but none of them thanked Chevrolet! Without chevy under their arses,they'd be sitting at the start/finish line pounding sand up their ass!
    Chevy has no connection to NASCAR other than a few million dollars in sponsor money, which is much less than Lowes pay them.

Maybe if GM had anything to do with building the car, but they don't, so I don't see why they'd deserve more than a passing thankyou.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Ambalanche's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,275 Times in 637 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Sonoma Red GMC Sierra SLT

Quote Originally Posted by landjet06 View Post
    I noticed that too, also, the other drivers DID thank their manufacturer sponsors. I think in this current environment especially, the Chevy drivers should have taken great pains to thank Chevy for sticking with them when it's an expense they really don't need right now.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information