Honda Frantically Trying to Catch Chevrolet Before Indy 500

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Honda Frantically Trying to Catch Chevrolet Before Indy 500

Thanks
    My Ride
    16 Traverse LT/ 08 Malibu 2LT

Honda Frantically Trying to Catch Chevrolet Before Indy 500

Honda Racing stuck with its longtime tradition of gathering its IndyCar drivers the day after the Grand Prix of Long Beach for visits to three of its California offices.

They had little to celebrate Monday, though, not after Honda was smoked by rival manufacturer Chevrolet for the third time this season. Chevrolet claimed its third win in three IndyCar races this season with yet another dominating performance on Sunday.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireSto...y-500-38494389

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,308 Times in 4,035 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Re: Honda Frantically Trying to Catch Chevrolet Before Indy 500

Quote Originally Posted by dindak View Post
    Honda Racing stuck with its longtime tradition of gathering its IndyCar drivers the day after the Grand Prix of Long Beach for visits to three of its California offices.

They had little to celebrate Monday, though, not after Honda was smoked by rival manufacturer Chevrolet for the third time this season. Chevrolet claimed its third win in three IndyCar races this season with yet another dominating performance on Sunday.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireSto...y-500-38494389
    The moment Indy let manufacturers develop their own aero kits, Chevrolet brought its engineering muscle to bear. FYi they both develop their engines with Illimor racing assistance , but Honda is using another supplier, Anyways, Chevrolet hopefully wins at Indy. But as long as Chevrolet dominates, I doubt any other manufacturer will enter Indy.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,284 Times in 4,981 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

It would be nice if GM marketing could translate this into technical superiority to the average person who doesn't care about racing. I bet if you asked anyone not interested in cars which is technologically superior, Honda or Chevy, most would pick Honda.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Honda seems to put all its eggs into the Indy 500 basket. I wouldn't be surprised if they won it and not much else this year. The Indy Car championship pales when compared to the 500 winner.
    1966 Corvair Corsa

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    The moment Indy let manufacturers develop their own aero kits, Chevrolet brought its engineering muscle to bear. FYi they both develop their engines with Illimor racing assistance , but Honda is using another supplier, Anyways, Chevrolet hopefully wins at Indy. But as long as Chevrolet dominates, I doubt any other manufacturer will enter Indy.
    Wrong, only Chevy has used Illmor for the current 2.2 V6, Honda's is developed in house through Honda Performance Development.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Brocaine View Post
    Wrong, only Chevy has used Illmor for the current 2.2 V6, Honda's is developed in house through Honda Performance Development.
    That is what Honda Claims. There is no way they do it in-house. There is Mugen for one and all sorts of suppliers like Borg Warner that supply turbos, etc...

Even GM Indy Engines come out of GM technical center in Warren, but GM is not shy about giving credit where its due, to its suppliers.

go to their page here , they do not acknowledge Illmor supplied their engines till 2003 to 2011 .. its all Honda that did it.. Jeez, you wonder why Illmor kicked them back to Mugen...
    Last edited by mbukukanyau; 04-19-2016 at 11:07 PM.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    That is what Honda Claims. There is no way they do it in-house. There is Mugen for one and all sorts of suppliers like Borg Warner that supply turbos, etc...

Even GM Indy Engines come out of GM technical center in Warren, but GM is not shy about giving credit where its due, to its suppliers.

go to their page here , they do not acknowledge Illmor supplied their engines till 2003 to 2011 .. its all Honda that did it.. Jeez, you wonder why Illmor kicked them back to Mugen...
    One, Illmor is not a supplier and two, they are well known in racing and they don't have a product that needs to be advertise. The engine is done in house by Honda Performance in Socal same as their F1 engine is done by Honda's Japanese engineers, maybe that's why they are underperforming same as the F1 power unit, but it is an in house effort. You keep giving props to Chevy engineering prowess, but is it really Chevy or Illmor? Either way whatever combination of outside suppliers or engineering Chevy has used is working well.
    Last edited by Rock Brocaine; 04-20-2016 at 09:42 AM.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Brocaine View Post
    One, Illmor is not a supplier and two, they are well known in racing and they don't have a product that needs to be advertise. The engine is done in house by Honda Performance in Socal same as their F1 engine is done by Honda's Japanese engineers, maybe that's why they are underperforming same as the F1 power unit, but it is an in house effort. You keep giving props to Chevy engineering prowess, but is it really Chevy or Illmor? Either way whatever combination of outside suppliers or engineering Chevy has used is working well.
    Okay, Honda makes its race engines without supplier support.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,079 Times in 1,905 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Porsche Cayenne

GM performance is at the top of its game right now. ATS-V.R, CTS-V, C7/Z06/R, INDY CAR, Camaro SS/1LE/ZL1, etc

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dslay04 For This Useful Post:

ekseubert (04-21-2016)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by dslay04 View Post
    GM performance is at the top of its game right now. ATS-V.R, CTS-V, C7/Z06/R, INDY CAR, Camaro SS/1LE/ZL1, etc
    Even AMG is benchmarking Corvette.

Thanks
    My Ride
    16 Traverse LT/ 08 Malibu 2LT

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Honda seems to put all its eggs into the Indy 500 basket. I wouldn't be surprised if they won it and not much else this year. The Indy Car championship pales when compared to the 500 winner.
    True but it's not all about engines at Indy - Chevy has more of the top drivers also.

Thanks
    My Ride

Indy is centered around the drivers and Chevrolet needs to find a way to have the broadcast be about Chevrolet and not some hot shot driver.. otherwise it makes no sense for them..

16. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information