GM Eyeing World Rally Championship Return

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GM Eyeing World Rally Championship Return

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

MotorAuthority
    November 30, 2010
    by Viknesh Vijayenthiran

General Motors is looking at making a return to the World Rally Championship after a hiatus of more than 20 years. The move is being considered as just one strategy to boost the performance credentials of its Opel division, which remains unprofitable in Europe.

The information was revealed by the president of GM’s European operations, Nick Reilly, who spoke recently with The Detroit News. According to Reilly, some success in motorsport will help attract younger buyers to GM and its respective brands.

"Sport is an important area, and to me, a car company ought to be able to compete," Reilly said. "It's very significant to us, the brand image, and in our view it's not as strong as the product. We're winning lots of awards but Opel and Vauxhall probably don't command the prices they deserve."

The World Rally Championship currently has just two automakers competing, Ford and PSA Peugeot Citroen. But just a few years back there were several firms including Subaru, Mitsubishi and Suzuki, all of which have pulled out from the competition due to financial reasons.

Reilly admits a return to the World Rally Championship was possible, though he concedes that it is an expensive option. However, GM has had much success with its Chevrolet Cruze touring cars in other sports, even winning the World Touring Car Championship last month, and Reilly admits that this has helped the Chevrolet brand considerably in Europe.

You can bet the same would happen if GM proves successful in the heated arena that is the World Rally Championship.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Re: GM Eyeing World Rally Championship Return

Toyota joined Nascar to seem more American and I think it makes sense for a European brand owned by GM to go rally racing (or F1 racing) to seem more European.

Maybe a Opel Astra rally car.....

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 91fairladyZ's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 GMC Acadia SLT2 Silver

I would love to see Ford and GM go up against the PSA group in the WRC. Especially with the new rules change, this would be a good time to get in. I also hear that mini is getting back in.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,114 Times in 1,031 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Interesting. I'd say it should be Chevrolet that should go to WRC rather than Opel, but either one makes sense.

However, if Caddy EVER gets their act together in Europe, I definitely think they should be the brand that GM pushes into F1. Still, considering how many other things they've got on their plate (and the incredible expense of hosting an F1 team) I think those dollars are best spent elsewhere.

Just my opinion.
    "La vita è come un albero di Natale..c'è sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,304 Times in 4,032 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by nadepalma View Post
    Interesting. I'd say it should be Chevrolet that should go to WRC rather than Opel, but either one makes sense.

However, if Caddy EVER gets their act together in Europe, I definitely think they should be the brand that GM pushes into F1. Still, considering how many other things they've got on their plate (and the incredible expense of hosting an F1 team) I think those dollars are best spent elsewhere.

Just my opinion.
    Chevy :- Le Mans & Road Racing
    Opel:- WRC
    Cadillac :- F1 or DTM

Thanks
    My Ride
    1992 Supra Turbo

I was waiting for this. Nice!

Thanks

WRC costs tons of money. GM should stick to road racing where,IMO, there is more transfer from racetrack to showroom. The WRC cars don't look like anything that is available for the street. The only arm of GM that should be competing is Chevrolet and it must be in relevant racing,i.e. the cars must be based on what is available in the showroom. The WTTC, Grand AM Continental CUP and ALMS are the best venues. NASCAR has to remain a focus simply because of the publicity it receives.
    1966 Corvair Corsa

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    WRC costs tons of money. GM should stick to road racing where,IMO, there is more transfer from racetrack to showroom. The WRC cars don't look like anything that is available for the street. The only arm of GM that should be competing is Chevrolet and it must be in relevant racing,i.e. the cars must be based on what is available in the showroom. The WTTC, Grand AM Continental CUP and ALMS are the best venues. NASCAR has to remain a focus simply because of the publicity it receives.
    I would argue that a current spec WRC or IRC car looks as much like its production counterpart as a a World Touring Car or British Touring Car, which is miles ahead of how a DTM compares to its production counterpart. I'm partial to rallying so I would welcome this move. Rally is another one of those sports that is big everywhere but the U.S.

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

If I am not mistaken the Evo and WRX built their reputations and styling on the Rally circuit. They were extremely successful and at least visually the Fords look pretty street.

http://www.wrcford.com/servlet/Conte...gename=DFY/WRC Probably gives an already good vehicle more street cred.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member Toto's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Opel Corsa GSI

Considering that Opel has a long tradition in Europe for both, rallying and road racing, a comeback is long overdue.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ9zUCBDHvc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ9zUCBDHvc[/ame]

Thanks

That is a pretty sharp looking car in the original post - I would like to see a civilian high performance version for sale!
    2010 Infiniti FX35
    2007 Yukon XL Denali
    2012 Porsche 911 Carrera S

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,977 Times in 1,399 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

I say Rally is the best PR racing to get into think EVO/ WRX I do not need to say the maker because EVERYBODY already knows
    + Imagine BUICK showing up would give instant street cred to REGAL/ VERANO IF "real" high performance models show up

Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

I am in love with this idea!!! even tho most would disagree, i would love to see Jeep move into WRC/RallyCar. say next-gen compass?
    Hidden Content

-JD

My Rides
    -2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II 4WD 5.7L V8, with Selec-Terrain and Quadra-Lift in 'Blackberry Pearl'
    -2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 4x4 hardtop in "Deep Water Blue Pearl"

Project Car: 1969 Javelin SST 290

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    Chevy :- Le Mans & Road Racing
    Opel:- WRC
    Cadillac :- F1 or DTM
    good point. Maybe not DTM, but F1 is dangerous. They MUST WIN!

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 SDRacing's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '12 K2500 Duramax

An AWD cruze or the new aveo coming out would be sweet!

What happened to this?:

Dreaming for a Fullsize Silverado ZR2 Raptor fighter!!
    Hidden Content
    - Long live the Kodiak 4x4s -

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information