GM Cancels 2 Contracts With NASCAR Tracks.

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GM Cancels 2 Contracts With NASCAR Tracks.

Banned
    Thanks

GM Cancels 2 Contracts With NASCAR Tracks.

Troubled General Motors Corp. has notified two racetracks that run NASCAR events that their current contracts will not be renewed as part of an overall $10 billion cost-cutting program.

That seems to be just the first step in what could be a huge drop in support by GM, Ford Motor Co. and Chrysler LLC for tracks and teams in NASCAR's top three professional divisions, the NHRA and other racing series in the face of the weakest U.S. auto sales in a decade.

GM announced Tuesday that it had suspended its stock dividend and will sell up to $4 billion in assets, moves made necessary by the downturn in sales and the rising cost of gas.

And motorsports sponsorships will not be exempt from the cutbacks.

"Like all areas of the business, these areas have not gone without a certain level of scrutiny, and there will be modifications and changes in our promotional footprint in all of those areas," Troy Clarke, president of GM North America, said Tuesday. "We're not going to talk about the details today, and specifically NASCAR, but all those areas have been reviewed and will continue to be as we work these action plans through."

http://www.nascar.com/2008/news/head...cks/index.html
    Last edited by likearock00; 07-17-2008 at 07:48 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    16 Traverse LT/ 08 Malibu 2LT

Re: GM Cancels 2 Contracts With NASCAR Tracks.

I don't think those sponsorships sell many cars anyway. GM needs to let people know about their fuel efficient cars now with direct ads. Times have changed. That said, not so much for me. I still would love an Impala SS or a G8 GT!

:-P to gas prices. Life is fun!

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

I wonder if we will see more Toyota in NASCAR soon as the Big 3 begin to withdraw.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) F14CRAZY's Avatar
    Thanks

or Honda? Nissan?
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 197k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 102k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455-4/7.5L. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday. Wife's: '07 Subaru Forester XT. World Rally Blue Mica.

'87 BMW K75c. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 marinerbc's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Dodge Charger R/T

Quote Originally Posted by give_it_all_ View Post
    I wonder if we will see more Toyota in NASCAR soon as the Big 3 begin to withdraw.

Quote Originally Posted by F14CRAZY View Post
    or Honda? Nissan?
    Always able to see a silver lining in the cloud, that could be a good thing. people like me could easily leave NASCAR behind with an all-non-North American lineup of 43 ricers.

I said this would happen 3 years ago, and it is. Amazing, and congrats Yoter, you finally killed the golden goose.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) F14CRAZY's Avatar
    Thanks

would anyone care at that point?
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 197k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 102k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455-4/7.5L. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday. Wife's: '07 Subaru Forester XT. World Rally Blue Mica.

'87 BMW K75c. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV.

Thanks

I hope GM drops clear out of NASCAR.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content
    (Jungle Jim Liberman)---------(Bruce USA-1 Larson)
    (Hidden Content )

Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

not only toyota.. but i see honda joining soon.. maybe even nissan somewhere down the line.
    Hidden Content

-JD

My Rides
    -2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II 4WD 5.7L V8, with Selec-Terrain and Quadra-Lift in 'Blackberry Pearl'
    -2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 4x4 hardtop in "Deep Water Blue Pearl"

Project Car: 1969 Javelin SST 290

Thanks

GM is only pulling ads, not sponsorship/team support.... yet. As for advertisements, don't we already see enough? There is at least 1 Tundra ad every commercial break and Toyota logos posted on a lot of the billboards around the track. Hell, there's even a Toyota running order thing done during every race so we can see how poorly the Non-JGR Toyota's are running.

Its definitely a lot more than the Big 3. Hopefully it couldn't get any worse.

Quote Originally Posted by GMusa View Post
    not only toyota.. but i see honda joining soon.. maybe even nissan somewhere down the line.
    I don't know. I don't think Honda would work well with us Nascar people. The whole we are better than you, we're corporate America type people, and we're nowhere near your level just doesn't appeal to Nascar fans.

O, wait, that's Acura. Sorry, I keep getting those two brands mixed up.

Nevermind.
    2016 Silverado 2500HD High Country

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 RamJet502's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2001 Chevy Silverado

Somebody needs to start a new series with the Chevy Camaro, Ford Mustang, and Dodge Challenger

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 TheGeneral's Avatar
    Thanks

The nascar image in my northern(yankee) mind doesn't really help sell cars like the malibu.
    2008 Chevy Malibu LTZ
    2007 Mazda3 I Touring

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 marinerbc's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Dodge Charger R/T

Quote Originally Posted by F14CRAZY View Post
    would anyone care at that point?
    Good point. I don't know that I'd care if they cared.

Enough people think like that, and the Sport is toast. NASCAR began playing with fire when it did this, and it could (not saying it WILL) backfire on them.

doh
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 doh's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marinerbc View Post
    Always able to see a silver lining in the cloud, that could be a good thing. people like me could easily leave NASCAR behind with an all-non-North American lineup of 43 ricers.

I said this would happen 3 years ago, and it is. Amazing, and congrats Yoter, you finally killed the golden goose.
    GM and NASCAR haters have a look at what advertising in this sport does. The "Biggest Spectator Sport going" and also the most "Brand Loyal Fan Base"

Like it or not 1 in 3 Adults in the USA are NASCAR fans. http://www.hlglicensing.com/nascar.htm

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RamJet502 View Post
    Somebody needs to start a new series with the Chevy Camaro, Ford Mustang, and Dodge Challenger
    They were talking about doing that with the Nationwide (Busch) series, but Toyota would have nothing to compete with so it won't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGeneral View Post
    The nascar image in my northern(yankee) mind doesn't really help sell cars like the malibu.

Ummmm, you Yankees can be bigger rednecks than some down here. The NASCAR image is what? Rebel flag wavin, beer drinkin, rowdy crowd? Go to any track up in the Northern tier and you'll see the exact same thing at any Walmart around you. I was born and raised in upstate NY and can assure you there are "rednecks" in every town of every state. There is a huge following for NASCAR, and it does give fans an automaker to root for. If they love the automaker on the track, they might just buy a new Malibu.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Uzzy's Avatar
    Thanks

Win on Sunday and sell a completely unrelated car on Monday...just doens't work the way it used to. NASCAR is pointless. I've said it before. Make them real stock cars, slow them down, make it meaningful in some way. Right now, it means nothing.
    Speramus Meliora; Resurget Cineribus
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.
    'Ich bin ein Detroiter'

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Chris Buckley, president of CAW Local 222
    General Motors is the enemy, brothers and sisters

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information