General Motors talks up the Corvette ZR1 in a new ad

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: General Motors talks up the Corvette ZR1 in a new ad

Thanks

Submitted by Patrick Rall on Wed, 03/23/2011 - 19:55

This past weekend brought the racing world the 59th running of the 12 Hours of Sebring but before General Motors was permitted to enter their race-built Corvette ZR1 in the American LeMans Series (ALMS), they were asked to modified the ZR1 for the race - by removing 168 horsepower.

The American LeMans Series GT class is comprised of some of the most recognizable street cars in the world, with competitors from BMW, Ferrari Porsche and Chevrolet among the regular heavy hitters and with GM touting the Corvette ZR1 as one of the world’s best-performing sports cars, it would only make sense that the highest performance Corvette ever would take to the track at Sebring. The problem (for GM) is that the ALMS required the automaker to strip 168 horsepower from the supercharged V8 supercar, effectively cutting the output of the LS9 from 638 horsepower to “just” 470.

It is not at all unusual for a company to perform some heavy modifications to even the world’s best sports cars before a they can last through a half-day marathon of auto racing like the 12 Hours of Sebring. However, for GM to be required to water-down the Corvette ZR1 so substantially before entering the ALMS was big enough news that the company has put together a new commercial spot bragging about the amount of power pulled to make it “fair” for some of the biggest names in the sports car world.

Unfortunately (again, for GM) stripping 168 horsepower from the race-ready Corvette ZR1 proved to be a bit too much as the top two spots in the GT class were claimed by a pair of BMW M3 coupes but the detuned Corvette ZR1s finished 3rd and 4th - beating the best from Ferrari, Porsche, Jaguar, Lamborghini and Doran Ford.

Even though the Corvete ZR1 didn’t take the win, General Motors offered up a new commercial (check it out below) featuring a handful of clips of the black and yellow ZR1 GT racer practicing, mixed in with shots of a white ZR1 used in the Corvette commercial that launched in 2010. The commerical boasts that the Corvette ZR1 is so powerful that GM was forced to pull power to make it fair for the other teams. While GM didn’t win, this commercial pokes fun at the competitors that were able to beat the watered down ZR1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViS5g...layer_embedded
    Full text here: http://www.torquenews.com/106/genera...tte-zr1-new-ad
    2010 Infiniti FX35
    2007 Yukon XL Denali
    2012 Porsche 911 Carrera S

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: General Motors talks up the Corvette ZR1 in a new ad

Does this guy know that the Pratt & Miller GT2 Corvette does not run an LS9... but a GM built 5.5L v8 that is required by ALMS rules?

Heres a snapshot I took of the engine, since I was @ Sebring this past weekend!
    Last edited by bonecrrusher; 03-25-2011 at 07:02 AM.
    Hidden Content
    2005 Lemans Blue C6, T56 w/ Z51!
    2008 Pontiac G8 GT - CAI, SLP long tube headers, Corsa Cat back! - SOLD
    2014 Chevrolet SS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bonecrrusher View Post
    A true work of art! Absolutely beautiful.
    Current rides: 2014 GMC Terrain, 2011 Dodge Durango.
    Past rides: 2013 Buick Verano, 2006 GTO, 2005 Vibe (best car I've ever owned), 2006 Odyssey (the worst vehicle I've ever owned), 2005 Envoy, 2002 Wrangler, 2002 S10, 2000 Sierra C1500, 1997 Sierra K1500 (2nd best car I've ever owned), 1996 Stratus, 1996 SW1 Saturn, 1994 Toyota Pickup (4x4 - 2nd worst car I've ever owned), 1992 Dakota, 1988 GMC Suburban, 1987 S10 Blazer, 1985 Scrambler, 1980 Tercel

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

It is a good sounding engine - and not bad HP #s if going by that article.

470hp with 5.5L's , e85 for fuel - not bad at all.
    Hidden Content
    2014 Chevrolet SS

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Impala Fleet Mobile

Does this guy know that the Pratt & Miller GT2 Corvette does not run an LS9... but a GM built 5.5L v8 that is required by ALMS rules?

Heres a snapshot I took of the engine, since I was @ Sebring this past weekend!
    Isn't it based on the Gen-V V8?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TuffG929 View Post
    Isn't it based on the Gen-V V8?
    I was wondering the same thing - I thought that the new 5.5 ltr racing motor was to serve as the basis for the next gen small block?

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Yes - built in house from GM. If you look at the back of the block it says 7.0 stamped on the back of it. I do not think that Katech developed this motor like that did the C5R and C6R blocks....

Hidden Content
    2014 Chevrolet SS

Thanks

It is a good sounding engine - and not bad HP #s if going by that article.

470hp with 5.5L's , e85 for fuel - not bad at all.
    the corvette has to run (2) 28MM air restrictors in the induction system. all the engines in this class have some type of air restrictors to even up the HP so no one has a advantage
    chevy owner since 1953,30 new chevys and 11 new corvettes since 1959 ,# 11 2008 corvette in the garage ,2004 impala,1988 2500 silverado,former NASCAR tech inspector,retired race engine builder. 2008 corvette sold waiting for the C-7. old 88 silverado gone and replaced with a new 2013 ext cab silverado.

Thanks

Yes - built in house from GM. If you look at the back of the block it says 7.0 stamped on the back of it. I do not think that Katech developed this motor like that did the C5R and C6R blocks....

the engines have to use production cylinder blocks
    chevy owner since 1953,30 new chevys and 11 new corvettes since 1959 ,# 11 2008 corvette in the garage ,2004 impala,1988 2500 silverado,former NASCAR tech inspector,retired race engine builder. 2008 corvette sold waiting for the C-7. old 88 silverado gone and replaced with a new 2013 ext cab silverado.

Thanks

Anyone who follows road racing will heavily discount the misleading ad. I'm a big Corvette fan, however, I don't for one second believe that BMW didn't deserve the win even though the #4 Corvette lost 3 laps early in the race because of an unfortunate accident. It made up two of them.
    1966 Corvair Corsa

Thanks
    My Ride
    1987 Chevrolet R10

The Corvette team did a great job but I do think that they will come back strong as they continue to improve upon the race car. They do great work and I don't doubt that they will be making the car a greater force to be reckoned with.

In the sea of new automotive faces,
    there's nothing like the appreciation and beauty of an older model. Let's represent!

~ZvetteGuy

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

I know the ZR1 can't run the lemans series off the show room floor, but does anyone think it could run the 12 hours straight without problems? or 24 hours? I would love to see real cars running races again.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SS SCHGD View Post
    I know the ZR1 can't run the lemans series off the show room floor, but does anyone think it could run the 12 hours straight without problems? or 24 hours? I would love to see real cars running races again.
    GM did a 24 hour run with the original ZR-1 maybe they will do it with this one and beat their own records. read all about it. http://www.zr1netregistry.com/endurance_epic.htm
    Last edited by motorman; 03-25-2011 at 11:54 AM.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,872 Times in 2,737 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Pacifica Touring L Plus

I like the commercial.

This GT season is going to be interesting and it really sucks that the US TV stations refused to pick up the season to broadcast. I dont get ESPN3 so I dont get to watch it at all.
    Hidden Content

Hers:
    2020 Palisade SEL

Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 Cadillac ATS 2.0T

those are definitely new heads. did you catch what it said on the placard?

that's a damn sexy engine! i'd rather see that under the hood of the zr1 than the plastic engine cover

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information