Geek out on the 2016 Corvette Racing C7.R Aero updates

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Geek out on the 2016 Corvette Racing C7.R Aero updates

Thanks
    My Ride
    1992 Supra Turbo

Geek out on the 2016 Corvette Racing C7.R Aero updates

Body Aero Secrets of the 2016 Corvette Racing C7.R
    www.hotrod.com
    January 31, 2016
    By Elana Scherr

Chevrolet has plenty of practice fielding road-race Corvettes, and with experience comes confidence, which makes the team one of the friendliest and most open in the GT Le Mans (GTLM) paddock. We got a private tour of the 2016 C7.R during the hours leading up to the start of the 24 hours of Daytona. Mark Kent, director of Chevrolet Racing and technical director Doug Louth let us poke and prod at the Corvettes in the garage, and answered all our dumb questions about sports car racing rules and the new aero and safety changes on the 2016 race car.

Full article is available at this link
    Straights are for fast cars, corners are for fast drivers.

1992 Supra Turbo (Modified)
    2014 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ RS (Trifecta Tune Coming Soon)
    Past Rides:
    Nissan Murano SLE AWD
    Chrysler Conquest TSI (Modified)
    Toyota Celica ST
    '77 COTY Chevrolet Caprice Classic w/F41 option

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to supraracer For This Useful Post:

91fairladyZ (02-04-2016),eb110americana (02-04-2016),GM Insider News (02-03-2016)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,081 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Red c8 corvette z51 fe4

Re: Geek out on the 2016 Corvette Racing C7.R Aero updates

I'm not a fan of all these fins and spoilers...

I don't need that much downforce considering all these add ons.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JBsZ06 View Post
    I'm not a fan of all these fins and spoilers...

I don't need that much downforce considering all these add ons.
    You are correct, you and i dont need all of this down force as we are not trying to win a race....

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,081 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Red c8 corvette z51 fe4

We all managed to enjoy fast vehicles before all these wings and spats got on our vehicles..

What ever happened to beautiful forms without all these add on attachments?

I'm all for aerodynamics but at a certain point it becomes ridiculous..

In many areas of the country if you park and leave a vehicle with all these ad dons...when you come back someone will just break them off out of principal or jealousy or whatever...

At a certain point all these add ons become obnoxious....

I know I wouldn't want them On my car...

Ferrari does most of its aerodynamic work beneath the car.....

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,306 Times in 4,033 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Great shot.

In many ways Corvettes are now the premier performance car on track and street, they have Surpassed the 911, and Ferrari.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JBsZ06 View Post
    We all managed to enjoy fast vehicles before all these wings and spats got on our vehicles..

What ever happened to beautiful forms without all these add on attachments?

I'm all for aerodynamics but at a certain point it becomes ridiculous..

In many areas of the country if you park and leave a vehicle with all these ad dons...when you come back someone will just break them off out of principal or jealousy or whatever...

At a certain point all these add ons become obnoxious....

I know I wouldn't want them On my car...

Ferrari does most of its aerodynamic work beneath the car.....
    None of these are road cars.... you do know that....? not sure why whats on our road cars have anything to do with whats on a race car. Unless you are not talking about these cars at all and are instead talking about cars like the C7 Z06 and ACR Viper?. I am going to assume that the answer is yes, the reason why they went this route is because if you look at cars like the Porsche 918, Mclaren P1, and Ferrari La Ferrari they are packing 900BHP. If you want to go as fast as (or in the case of the ACR Viper faster) then those cars with 200-300BHP less you need to carry more speed through the corners and brake later. It all comes down to there being different ways of going fast around the track with their own limitations. Dropping weight has the limitation of you can't get rid of the driver so there is a min. weight you can reach. Lotus has models that are around 2,000 pounds, they hit that weight without expensive carbon fiber. However you really can't make a "normal" road car that is much lighter then 2,000 pounds before it becomes something that really should only be driven only be driven on a track. You can add power however you get to limitations with that to, such as what to do with all of the heat and how do you put the power down. As tire technology improves the amount of power you can put down increases. You can add aerodynamic down force, though you really need to be over a certain amount of power before that makes sense and you really see big gains at lower mass. This is why even though the Mclaren P1, Porsche 918, and the Laferrari are packing around and over 900BHP they were beaten by the Viper ACR. It has a superior (for track performance) mix of low mass, power, and down force without destroying your bank account like a Laferrari would.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 63GrandSport001 For This Useful Post:

ekseubert (02-04-2016),GM Insider News (02-04-2016)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,306 Times in 4,033 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by 63GrandSport001 View Post
    None of these are road cars.... you do know that....? not sure why whats on our road cars have anything to do with whats on a race car. Unless you are not talking about these cars at all and are instead talking about cars like the C7 Z06 and ACR Viper?. I am going to assume that the answer is yes, the reason why they went this route is because if you look at cars like the Porsche 918, Mclaren P1, and Ferrari La Ferrari they are packing 900BHP. If you want to go as fast as (or in the case of the ACR Viper faster) then those cars with 200-300BHP less you need to carry more speed through the corners and brake later. It all comes down to there being different ways of going fast around the track with their own limitations. Dropping weight has the limitation of you can't get rid of the driver so there is a min. weight you can reach. Lotus has models that are around 2,000 pounds, they hit that weight without expensive carbon fiber. However you really can't make a "normal" road car that is much lighter then 2,000 pounds before it becomes something that really should only be driven only be driven on a track. You can add power however you get to limitations with that to, such as what to do with all of the heat and how do you put the power down. As tire technology improves the amount of power you can put down increases. You can add aerodynamic down force, though you really need to be over a certain amount of power before that makes sense and you really see big gains at lower mass. This is why even though the Mclaren P1, Porsche 918, and the Laferrari are packing around and over 900BHP they were beaten by the Viper ACR. It has a superior (for track performance) mix of low mass, power, and down force without destroying your bank account like a Laferrari would.
    Corvette is actually the only road going car that puts down top of the heap track numbers without silly wings and diffusers...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

spd98 (02-04-2016)

13. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information