GM Inside News Forum banner

Could Williams be heading to DTM with Opel?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Robert Ryan 
#1 ·

COULD WILLIAMS BE HEADING TO DTM WITH OPEL?

German car maker could be returning to tin-tops with the help of Brit F1 team

Opel could be set to return to the German touring car championship (DTM) – and it could be doing so with the help of Williams.
[...]

-> http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=22302

#2 ·
A DTM car is probably the most costly "touring or GT" car in the world. They are way more sophisticated than any stockcar or GT car seen here in Nascar or ALMS or IMSA. A DTM car costs more than a FIA GT1 car for example. These cars are prototypes in their own right....far from any "tin top" you could imagine. I believe thanks to Eurovision this is still the world's most watched Touring/ GT racing series...run at 11/10th's every second the cars are on the track.

#4 ·
This is one of the very few racing series worldwide that I'm not obsessed with, just because the coverage here is spotty. Can anyone explain to me where the tin-tops thing comes from? And is GM's involvement limited to Opel? Are the cars totally non-stop or are there any stock elements?

#7 ·
This is one of the very few racing series worldwide that I'm not obsessed with, just because the coverage here is spotty. Can anyone explain to me where the tin-tops thing comes from? And is GM's involvement limited to Opel? Are the cars totally non-stop or are there any stock elements?
About as stock as NASCAR. "Tin-Tops" European term for Stockcars , that run on roadcourses. They can be modified stock or a "Sillouhette" formula like NASCAR/DTM. German based so only OPELS used.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.