Corvette Racing Wins Grand Prix of Mosport

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corvette Racing Wins Grand Prix of Mosport

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar PistonsFan's Avatar
    Thanks

Corvette Notches Ninth Win at Canadian Circuit, Scores First ALMS GT Victory of Season
    Corvette Racing

Bowmanville, Ont. - Corvette Racing returned to the winner's circle today at the Mobil 1 presents the Grand Prix of Mosport as Oliver Gavin and Jan Magnussen scored the team's first American Le Mans Series victory of the season. Gavin and Magnussen won the GT class by 4.4 seconds in their No. 4 Compuware Corvette C6.R over the Ferrari 458 Italia of Jaime Melo and Toni Vilander. Tommy Milner and Olivier Beretta finished sixth in the No. 3 Compuware Corvette C6.R after contact with a backmarker cost them valuable time on the high-speed Canadian circuit.

After qualifying sixth and eighth on Saturday, Corvette Racing rebounded with a strong race day setup that ultimately broke BMW's three-race winning streak. The two-hour, 45-minute race was anything but predictable as spins, crashes, close calls and penalties added to the drama.

"We had a team meeting after qualifying and agreed that we all just needed to do our jobs because anything can happen," said team manager Gary Pratt. "The crew made great pit stops, the drivers made smart decisions, the engineers made good calls, and here we are with a victory. You have to be able to take advantage of opportunities, you have to be able to close the deal, and today we did."

Gavin and Milner were the starting drivers, and slotted into sixth and eighth respectively as the race began. The running order changed dramatically after the first round of pit stops under a full-course caution, as Gavin emerged in third after two cars were penalized. When the second-place Porsche went off track shortly after the one-hour mark, Gavin moved into second and began an extended battle with Vilander in the Risi Competizione Ferrari.

"We started coming on these big clumps of traffic, and things started getting crazy," Gavin said. "I had this mad battle with Toni, where he passed me going into Turn 2 and then he went around the outside of a GTC car. I managed to undercut them both and come back around the outside into Turn 3 - it was fantastic racing!"

Contact with the Ferrari in Moss Corner punctured a tire, and the crew scrambled as Gavin dove into the pits with one hour and four minutes to go. Magnussen took over the No. 4 Corvette and emerged in third. The Dane passed the Ferrari with 30 minutes to go, and then took the lead with 20 minutes remaining when the leading No. 55 BMW driven by Dirk Werner was assessed a stop-and-go penalty for avoidable contact.

Mobil 1 presents the Grand Prix of Mosport GT Results (Top 10):
    Pos./Car No./Drivers/Car/Laps
    1. 4 Gavin/Magnussen, Corvette C6.R, 121
    2. 62 Melo/Vilander, Ferrari F458 Italia, 121
    3. 55 Auberlen/Werner, BMW M3 GT, 121
    4. 56 Mueller/Hand, BMW M3 GT, 121
    5. 17 Henzler/Sellers, Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, 120
    6. 3 Beretta/Milner, Corvette C6.R, 119
    7. 04 Murry/Lazzaro, Doran Ford GT, 119
    8. 44 Neiman/Holzer, Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, 118
    9. 01 Sharp/van Overbeek, Ferrari F458 Italia, 117
    10. 48 Miller/Maasen, Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, 117

Read more, complete press release:
    http://www.corvetteracing.com/histor...mosport3.shtml

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar PistonsFan's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Corvette Racing Wins Grand Prix of Mosport

The new BMW's are definitely faster this year (likely to change next season), but the Corvette guys aren't too far behind in championship points.

5 races to go...

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,079 Times in 1,905 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Porsche Cayenne

what about the cadillacs?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

I wish I could of made it to this race, it was a perfect weekend for it. Glad to see the Vettes win!

Thanks

I watched some of this race on ESPN 2. Great job, #4! I am looking forward to going to Mid-Ohio in two weeks!
    Last edited by TechnoAura; 07-25-2011 at 01:44 PM.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Premium Member CaddyLac10's Avatar
    Thanks

The field has been pretty competitive over the past couple years with BMW and Ferrari.

I'm glad team Corvette found a way to pull it out!

Thanks
    My Ride
    1992 Supra Turbo

It was a great race. Watched the entire thing. We'll see what effect the competition changes make for the next race.
    Last edited by supraracer; 07-25-2011 at 03:46 PM.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) germeezy1's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

America, GM, and the Corvette....we take a back seat to no one!

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 OLDSCHOOLGMFAN's Avatar
    Thanks

Congrats Vette! Show 'em how it's done, big American V8-style!
    '07 MONTE CARLO SS, '09 AVALANCHE LTZ. [/B]

Present non-Chevy gm fleet: '05 Pontiac Bonneville gxp, '09 Buick Lucerne Super, '11 Caddy DTS platinum.

Big vehicles, big V8s, big V6s, auto transmissions, flamboyant styling, lots o' torque, lots of room, lots of comfort, lots of straight-line speed, yup, that's what I love, PURE AUTO AMERICANA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hidden Content

Banned
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Chevrolet & Cadillac

Real Chevrolet rules all. It's that simple.. All others are just pretenders to the throne....

BMW, Porsche, Ferrari etc... They mean nothing to me. If Chevrolet were building BMW quality vehicles for day to day use in their trucks and cars, I'd pay more money for the Chevrolet.... Just the name Chevrolet in and of itself rolls off the tongue as sweet as Ferrari ever did. Quality, Class, Style and Prestige.. That's Real Chevrolet and the one that I grew up with. It's the only one I care to know....

Thanks

Qualifying was extremely close for the first of 8 GT of cars (2 Ferraris, 2 BMW's, 2 Corvettes, 2 Porsches). On a course like Mosport, strategy plays a big part. Those BMW's were very fast all weekend, and I honestly thought they would be able to pull away during the race.

Good job!
    "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '71 Chevelle or '14 Volt :)

Quote Originally Posted by PistonsFan View Post
    The new BMW's are definitely faster this year (likely to change next season), but the Corvette guys aren't too far behind in championship points.

5 races to go...
    Yep, Limerock really hurt our chances but with 5 races left we'll need to take 1, 2 or 3 in all in most of them to pull it out.

Frankly I love the competition... back when Corvette was more or less alone in their class it was nice to rack up victories but boring... I love seeing our team show the Germans and Italians that we're "just as good" at heads-up class racing!

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Congrats Corvette! Take no prisoners!
    From the office of the Burnout Czar.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 OLDSCHOOLGMFAN's Avatar
    Thanks

BMW sucks. Chevy rocks. JMHO.
    '07 MONTE CARLO SS, '09 AVALANCHE LTZ. [/B]

Present non-Chevy gm fleet: '05 Pontiac Bonneville gxp, '09 Buick Lucerne Super, '11 Caddy DTS platinum.

Big vehicles, big V8s, big V6s, auto transmissions, flamboyant styling, lots o' torque, lots of room, lots of comfort, lots of straight-line speed, yup, that's what I love, PURE AUTO AMERICANA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hidden Content

Thanks

Because the Corvettes won they will most likely be administered some extra weight for the next race as a success penalty. I love this type of racing, however, I truly dislike the way in which the cars are supposedly made "equal" . Too much like NASCAR, imo.
    1966 Corvair Corsa

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information