Corvette Racing to Take on 2013 Viper @ Mid-Ohio Tomorrow (Aug. 4)

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corvette Racing to Take on 2013 Viper @ Mid-Ohio Tomorrow (Aug. 4)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar PistonsFan's Avatar
    Thanks

Corvette Racing to Take on 2013 Viper @ Mid-Ohio Tomorrow (Aug. 4)

Corvette Racing at Mid-Ohio: Midterm Report and a Rivalry Renewed
    A Look Back and a Look Ahead at the Midpoint of 2012 ALMS Season
    Corvette Racing

LEXINGTON, Ohio, - With five races completed and five to go, Corvette Racing will be halfway home at its home track. Saturday's Mid-Ohio Sports Car Challenge at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course signals the start of the second half of the 2012 American Le Mans Series. At the season's midpoint, Corvette Racing and Chevrolet stand atop the driver, team, and manufacturer championship standings. The fierce competition that has been the hallmark of the GT category is about to become more intense with the return of one of Corvette's longstanding rivals to ALMS competition.

In the first five races, Corvette Racing scored back-to-back wins with Oliver Gavin and Tommy Milner in the No. 4 Compuware Corvette C6.R in Long Beach and Laguna Seca. Third-place finishes in Sebring and Lime Rock put the pair in the championship lead after the first four rounds. Then a setback in Mosport, combined with the No. 3 Compuware Corvette's fourth runner-up finish in five starts, saw Corvette aces Antonio Garcia and Jan Magnussen take the lead in the championship chase by seven points over their teammates.

"When you look at Corvette Racing's record for the first half of the season, the results demonstrate the experience and knowledge the team has gained since the debut of the GT-spec Corvette C6.R at Mid-Ohio in 2009," said Corvette Racing program manager Doug Fehan. "With the level of competition we face at every ALMS event, to have two victories, eight podium finishes, a one-two finish, and a pole is a very successful first half by any measure.

"Everyone on the team fully understands that it's not going to get any easier for the rest of the year," Fehan continued. "We're working continuously to improve every aspect of our performance. There is still a great deal of development to be done with the wide-body Corvette C6.R that we introduced this year. I expect that Corvette fans are going to see a great show for the rest of the season."

When Corvette Racing first entered international endurance racing in 1999, its chief competitor was Viper. That rivalry will be renewed at Mid-Ohio with Chrysler's return to ALMS competition.

"History has come full circle, and now it's once again Corvette versus Viper in ALMS - this time with world-class competitors such as Ferrari, Porsche, BMW, and Lotus in the mix," Fehan noted. "Chrysler's return makes a huge statement about the strength of the American Le Mans Series."

Corvette Racing has recorded three straight runner-up finishes in the GT class at Mid-Ohio - Magnussen and Johnny O'Connell in 2009, Gavin and Olivier Beretta in 2010, and Gavin/Magnussen in 2011. Last year's race ended with a red flag when a monsoon inundated the track; among the drivers who spun off in the deluge was Milner, who was running second when the torrential rain arrived.

The two-hour, 45-minute Mid-Ohio Sports Car Challenge, the sixth round of the 2012 American Le Mans Series, will start at 1:05 p.m. ET on Saturday, August 4, and will be broadcast on ABC at 2 p.m. ET.

Read more:
    http://www.corvetteracing.com/histor...midohio1.shtml

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Corvette Racing to Take on 2013 Viper @ Mid-Ohio Tomorrow (Aug. 4)

The new Dodge Viper will be making its competitive debut...

Good to see more American muscle in the series.

Thanks

I will be there in person. Although I am looking forward to watching the new Viper in action and hope it performs well, I'm still going to root for Corvette Racing.
    Current Rides: 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek, 2012 Mitsubishi Outlander GT S-AWC

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

You can't be mad at some good homegrown competition. I'm looking forward to it.
    "More powerful, quicker and outright faster than a comparable BMW, Cadillac’s newest model is the best reason to skip the letter M and head all the way down the alphabet to V."
    Current Rides: 13’ Audi A3 Hatch TDI
    17’ Cadillac CT6 3.6
    16’ Cadillac ELR

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member BigAls87Z28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Corvette is running 1 and 3 right now, Viper's are near the back of the pack.
    Alexander Villani
    GMInsideNews Writer/Editor

Have some news?
    Email Me: Hidden Content
    Follow me on twitter: @AlexVGMI

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PistonsFan View Post
    The new Dodge Viper will be making its competitive debut...

Good to see more American muscle in the series.
    Glad to see more competition in GT, but I don't feel like Corvette vs. Viper is the same as Camaro vs. Mustang. Corvette is America's sports car and Viper has always been a cheap kit car.

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoAura View Post
    I will be there in person. Although I am looking forward to watching the new Viper in action and hope it performs well, I'm still going to root for Corvette Racing.
    I will be at Road America in two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
    Corvette is running 1 and 3 right now, Viper's are near the back of the pack.
    Corvette wins. They probably would have gone 1,2 had the GT3 porsche not crashed into the other Corvette ending it's day.

On a different note the ALMS website was down for at least the first hour of the race and the ABC telecast sucked. The ABC and ESPN telecasts are 1/2 commercials and 1/2 explaining the series. I wish ALMS would go back to Speedvision.
    From the office of the Burnout Czar.

Thanks

Corvette Racing Wins GT in Mid-Ohio Sports Car Challenge
    Gavin and Milner Score Third Win of Season, Take GT Championship Lead
    Corvette Racing

LEXINGTON, Ohio, - In Olympic terms, Corvette Racing drivers Oliver Gavin and Tommy Milner won the gold today in the GT class at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Challenge, the sixth round of the American Le Mans Series. Instead of medals, Gavin and Milner were awarded silver trophies and the maximum championship points as they notched their third win of the season in the No. 4 Compuware Corvette C6.R.

The pair reclaimed the lead in the driver standings with a .283-second victory over the No. 45 Porsche of Joerg Bergmeister and Patrick Long, and extended Chevrolet's lead in the GT manufacturer championship. The win was the eighth for Corvette Racing at Mid-Ohio, but the first in the GT class after a string of three consecutive runner-up finishes that began in 2009.

The No. 3 Compuware Corvette C6.R of Jan Magnussen and Antonio Garcia was running third with 20 minutes remaining when contact with a GTC Porsche punctured the left-front tire and damaged the suspension. The Corvette crew repaired the car and returned Magnussen to battle, but the 12 minutes lost in the pits dropped the No. 3 Corvette to 13th at the finish.

Gavin made the decisive pass for the victory immediately after the final round of pit stops with one hour remaining in the two-hour, 45-minute race. Gavin caught Magnussen on his out-lap and then passed race leader Bergmeister with a daring outside move to notch his third ALMS win at Mid-Ohio and the 37th of his career.

"I had one lap on my new tires, and I caught Jan going into Turn 2," Gavin said. "My crew chief radioed that Joerg was on cold tires and told me to go for it! Last year I passed him around the outside into Turn 4, and I did the same again. I thought I could pull it off, and I'm so pleased that I did."

Bergmeister responded by putting intense pressure on the Corvette as the pair raced nose-to-tail in the closing laps.

"At the end of the race, there wasn't much between us and I got caught up in some traffic," Gavin reported. "It was tough, and those last few laps were really hard. I'm thrilled with the result and what it means for the championship. This is exactly what we needed after a couple of difficult races."

Milner started sixth on the GT grid, but rocketed to third on the first lap. He held that position until the first pit stop at the 30-minute mark as the team got both Corvettes in just seconds before a full-course yellow closed the pits. That strategy vaulted the Corvettes to second and third when racing resumed.

"I had a great start," said Milner, who scored his third career ALMS victory today. "I'd like to say that I planned it, but it was more about being in the right spot at the right time. I gained three spots and then the Corvette crew did a great job with the first pit stop. That was a brilliant call that put me ahead of the BMW. I ran down the No. 45 Porsche, but just couldn't get close enough to pull off a pass. I tried on the restart on Turn 2 and got alongside him, but couldn't make it stick.

"The pit stop and Oliver's out-lap made the difference," Milner explained. "The stop was flawless and that got us ahead of the No. 3 Corvette, and then the No. 45 Porsche. It was a perfect day from the crew – the right calls and flawless execution."

Crew chief Brian Hoye agreed: "Pit stops did make a difference," he said. "We've been practicing over and over, week after week. We knew it was going to come down to a pit stop in one of these races, and the hard work paid off today."

Garcia started fifth but was bottled up at the start as the field raced two-wide around the narrow 2.25-mile, 13-turn circuit. He was seventh after the first lap, but worked his way back to fifth two laps later. Garcia also benefited from quick pit work on his first stop, emerging in third after the pit stop cycle.

"We were packed up at the start, two and three wide, and at that point you are stuck in one line," Garcia said. "An LMP spun in front of us and I lost positions. I made up as many spots as I could, but the Ferrari was very fast and aggressive. A great pit call by the Corvette team gave us the opportunity to run up front again and make a charge on the Porsche. I had a very quick car, and every time they opened a gap in traffic, I could make up time. We got caught in some traffic on my in-lap for the second stop; it was a good call by the No. 4 car to get a clean run into the pits a lap earlier."

Magnussen was in hot pursuit of the Porsche for second place when he was caught out by a GTC driver in Turn 6. "He opened the door and then slammed it shut," Magnussen said. "I came up to the GTC car and he opened the door for Joerg to go through. I was a car length behind and was going through on the same gap, and just as I made the move, he shut the door. I was committed and I hit him. We're racing for positions and running for a championship. We all have to race, and I feel bad for all the guys. I had a great car and great pit stops."

Today's victory gave Gavin and Milner a 12-point lead in the unofficial standings over BMW drivers Joey Hand and Dirk Mueller (93-81). Magnussen and Garcia are one point back (80). Chevrolet increased its lead in the GT manufacturer championship to 20 over BMW (114-94) with four races remaining.

Corvette Racing's next event is the Road America Road Race Showcase at Road America in Elkhart Lake, Wis., on Saturday, August 18.

Mid-Ohio Sports Car Challenge GT Results (Top 10)
    Pos./Car No./Drivers/Car/Laps
    1. 4 Gavin/Milner, Corvette C6.R, 115
    2. 45 Bergmeister/Long, Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, 115
    3. 55 J. Mueller/Auberlen, BMW E92 M3, 114
    4. 17 Henzler/Sellers, Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, 114
    5. 56 D. Mueller/Hand, BMW E92 M3, 114
    6. 01 Sharp/van Overbeek, Ferrari 458 Italia, 113
    7. 44 Neiman/Holzer, Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, 113
    8. 02 Brown/Cosmo, Ferrari F458 Italia, 112
    9. 48 Miller/Maassen, Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, 112
    10. 91 Wittmer/Farnbacher, SRT Viper GTSR, 111

b4z
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Pontiac GTO, 19 F150 2.7

Wonder idmthe viper gets worse fuel mileage and if it has to make more pit stops?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by b4z View Post
    Wonder idmthe viper gets worse fuel mileage and if it has to make more pit stops?
    I'm not sure. Though the car is running an 8 liter motor in ALMS.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) germeezy1's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Quote Originally Posted by spd98 View Post
    I'm not sure. Though the car is running an 8 liter motor in ALMS.
    So the answer would be yes the Viper does have worse fuel mileage.
    I want a car so violent that the mere thought of full throttle would cause a heart attack. That actually going wide open throttle in would result in nothing less than instant death!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

How does Viper get to run 8L's and everyone else is capped at 5.5L?

Thanks
    My Ride
    1992 Supra Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Sinner View Post
    Right now the Viper is saddled with a tiny restrictor.
    Straights are for fast cars, corners are for fast drivers.

1992 Supra Turbo (Modified)
    2014 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ RS (Trifecta Tune Coming Soon)
    Past Rides:
    Nissan Murano SLE AWD
    Chrysler Conquest TSI (Modified)
    Toyota Celica ST
    '77 COTY Chevrolet Caprice Classic w/F41 option

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    97 monte carlo 3.1

So glad to see them keep winning I have been following team corvette all season awesome drivers with great cars. I love watching them beat down the germans haha.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by supraracer View Post
    Right now the Viper is saddled with a tiny restrictor.
    Possibly the same size restrictor as the Corvette. The restrictors are there to limit peak power so that it doesn't become a competition of who can make the most ridiculous amount of horsepower with a huge budget.

The Viper has a lot of torque, probably similar power to the Corvette, but more weight. High torque tends to drive up weight (chassis rigidity, suspension, driveline, etc).

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sinner View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PistonsFan View Post
    Possibly the same size restrictor as the Corvette. The restrictors are there to limit peak power so that it doesn't become a competition of who can make the most ridiculous amount of horsepower with a huge budget.

The Viper has a lot of torque, probably similar power to the Corvette, but more weight. High torque tends to drive up weight (chassis rigidity, suspension, driveline, etc).
    I'm curious as to why the Viper is allowed to run with the 8.0 L when the rules clearly state the maximum displacement engine for this class is 5.5L. Corvette was forced to downsize their engine to 5.5L to meet class rules, why not Viper? Could it be that ALMS is desperate for the business?
    From the office of the Burnout Czar.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information