Corvette Racing finishes 2nd and 3rd at Le Mans

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Corvette Racing finishes 2nd and 3rd at Le Mans

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 New_Mexico_Sunset_on_Rt66's Avatar
    Cedar Rapids, IA (formerly sunny New Mexico (y muchacho lo falto))
    Thanks

Corvette Racing finishes 2nd and 3rd at Le Mans

Well, it seems the Aston-Martin team has fixed it's "duration" issues at Le Mans as the 009 Aston-Martin wins for the second consequetive year.

LE MANS: Aston Martin Victorious at Le Mans for the Second Consecutive Year

Written by: SPEED Staff
    SPEEDtv.com
    06/15/2008 - 11:41 AM
    Charlotte, North Carolina

A wrong tyre choice, or the smallest mistake from any of the drivers, would have cost the coveted victory. (Photo: Aston Martin Media) » More Photos

One year on from Aston Martin’s first victory in the GT1 class in 2007 – which was the first Le Mans win since the company triumphed overall in 1959 – the 009 DBR9 of David Brabham, Antonio Garcia and Darren Turner has claimed another GT1 win at the La Sarthe circuit.

Just like last year, the 009 car – this time resplendent in the iconic Gulf livery – took the class victory at Le Mans, for sports cars based closely on their road-going equivalents.

The race was one of the closest in history, in all the classes. The 009 car took the lead within the first three hours of the endurance classic, but it was shadowed constantly by its Corvette rival. Intermittent rain and safety car periods made the duel closer still: at one point halfway through the race 009 and its pursuer were separated by less than four seconds. Even at the finish, the two cars were less than five minutes apart – having covered more than 4,500 kilometres.

The suspense remained right up until the end of an epic race. More rain fell within an hour of the finish at 3pm on Sunday, making every decision crucial. A wrong tyre choice, or the smallest mistake from any of the drivers, would have cost the coveted victory.

<continued at link>

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...secutive-year/

1979 Chevy Van
    1978 Pontiac Firebird
    1985 GMC S-15 Jimmy
    1992 Pontiac Grand Am
    1998 Oldmobile Intrigue
    2002 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28
    1972 Chevrolet C-10 P/U
    1979 Chevrolet K5 Blazer
    2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
    2001 Chevrolet Silverado LT 4x4 Ext Cab

"Sometimes you gotta say, 'What the *********'. "What the ********* gives you freedom, freedom creates opportunity, ... opportunity - makes your future." - 'Risky Business' 1983

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Re: Corvette Racing finishes 2nd and 3rd at Le Mans

pretty good showing by the Corvette Teams
    Hidden Content

-JD

My Rides
    -2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II 4WD 5.7L V8, with Selec-Terrain and Quadra-Lift in 'Blackberry Pearl'
    -2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 4x4 hardtop in "Deep Water Blue Pearl"

Project Car: 1969 Javelin SST 290

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Bvonscott's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Sierra AllTerrain 6.2

Well that sucks. I was hoping the vettes would take it this year. Well at least the DBR's are weak in the AMLS, as the Vettes dominate there.
    Member of the: Real Truck Guys Club.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,306 Times in 4,033 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

If the Corvettes were just a little bit faster, they could have easily won. Whenever I watch this race, I notice that at the higher speeds Corvettes are somewhat slower than the Astons, the advantage they have is they power out of bends way better than anyone can manage.
    Cadillac should also go back. they left with their tails between their back legs.. shameful.
    Last edited by mbukukanyau; 06-15-2008 at 05:10 PM.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Le Mans is rigged. Team Corvette has to choke their motors with restrictor plates with an opening the size of a quarter while the Aston Martins get free reign all in the name of leveling the playing field. Apparently A decade of Team Oreca Vipers and Team Corvette winning has left a bad taste in the mouths of the French. GM needs to start making money in N.A so they can fund an all out assault on LMP1.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sinner View Post
    Le Mans is rigged. Team Corvette has to choke their motors with restrictor plates with an opening the size of a quarter while the Aston Martins get free reign all in the name of leveling the playing field. Apparently A decade of Team Oreca Vipers and Team Corvette winning has left a bad taste in the mouths of the French. GM needs to start making money in N.A so they can fund an all out assault on LMP1.
    The P1 class is on its way out.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,306 Times in 4,033 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

this sucks. The Corvettes are better. I will not waste my time watching this stupidity. It smells of "lance is a dopper allegations"...
    The French are sooo unfair!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 63GrandSport001 View Post
    Really? That sucks. I love watching the Joest/Audi Sport teams. Anyone who can change a transmission/rear end, 4 tires, the rear body kit, do fuel and a driver change in 4 minutes are Gods.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 New_Mexico_Sunset_on_Rt66's Avatar
    Cedar Rapids, IA (formerly sunny New Mexico (y muchacho lo falto))
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GMusa View Post
    pretty good showing by the Corvette Teams
    Nothing short of first is good enough for Corvette Racing, nor should it be.

Corvette has already stated winning Le Mans out right is the goal for the next Vette.

Mid-engined is my suspicion. Fans of the Corvette will miss the reverse opening bonnet. Unless they can keep that in a mid-engined model. I just think mid-engined is the logical evolution of the Corvette with the power they are now getting out of the LSx engine. I just hope the Corvette does not lose it's historical driving charateristics. Aggressive throttle modulation is a feature through corners, while the Porsche is prone to throttle-off over steer performing the same move. There are just certain things you can get away with in a front engined car, vs. a rear engined car. But I suppose there are more advantages to a mid-engined over a frone engined car.

A mid-engined Corvette will have different driving characteristics over the front engined model. This may upset many purists, and may upset some Corvette drivers. But if this is what it takes to keep it at the cutting edge, so be it. Corvette has always meant the "best of America". Even though Europe has 500 years more years of evolution over us.

Many Corvette drivers will need to "re-learn" how to drive a Corvette if it goes mid-engined.

Quote Originally Posted by Bvonscott View Post
    Well that sucks. I was hoping the vettes would take it this year. Well at least the DBR's are weak in the AMLS, as the Vettes dominate there.
    Aston-Martin is not even competing in NA in the ALMS. Lets hope that changes.

Ohh, c'mon 'bro. And I think you mean GT1, not P1. GM is not competing in LMP1. Although, if they can come up with a suitable diesel, this may change.

Quote Originally Posted by 63GrandSport001 View Post
    First I've heard of that. Maybe P2, or GT1, but not P1. From what I've heard P2 is kinda set up for "private" operations with less rules than P1. Penske didn't bring their Porsche RS Spyder this year in part because of the different rules between P1 and P2..
    Last edited by New_Mexico_Sunset_on_Rt66; 06-15-2008 at 09:49 PM.
    1979 Chevy Van
    1978 Pontiac Firebird
    1985 GMC S-15 Jimmy
    1992 Pontiac Grand Am
    1998 Oldmobile Intrigue
    2002 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28
    1972 Chevrolet C-10 P/U
    1979 Chevrolet K5 Blazer
    2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
    2001 Chevrolet Silverado LT 4x4 Ext Cab

"Sometimes you gotta say, 'What the *********'. "What the ********* gives you freedom, freedom creates opportunity, ... opportunity - makes your future." - 'Risky Business' 1983

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

I would have loved to see team Corvette and especially Ron Fellows take the class win, but the Aston Martin team deserves credit for being able to keep the car together for the full 24 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by New_Mexico_Sunset_on_Rt66 View Post
    Nothing short of first is good enough for Corvette Racing, nor should it be.

Corvette has already stated winning Le Mans out right is the goal for the next Vette.

Mid-engined is my suspicion...<snip>
    ...Many Corvette drivers will need to "re-learn" how to drive a Corvette if it goes mid-engined.

Ohh, c'mon 'bro. And I think you mean GT1, not P1. GM is not competing in LMP1. Although, if they can come up with a suitable diesel, this may change.

First I've heard of that. Maybe P2, or GT1, but not P1. From what I've heard P2 is kinda set up for "private" operations with less rules than P1. Penske didn't bring their Porsche RS Spyder this year in part because of the different rules between P1 and P2..
    While I think a mid engined Corvette (rear mounted) design has been considered for the C7, I'd have to say that between the new CAFE regulations, the collapse of the SUV market and other economic factors that have GM on the ropes, and the general public's concerns about fuel mileage, all bets are off as to what configuration the C7 has. I wouldn't be surprised if it is a rear mid engine design, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it's a progression of the C6 configuration or even something as radical as a tweaked up Kappa with a small V8 option.

With the rules being what they are at Le Mans, the ONLY way to really compete for the over all win is in the P1 class currently. The ACO will not allow the P2, GT1, or GT2 cars to be fast enough to compete for the over all win at Le Mans. Plus there have been rumors for over a year now that GM was looking at building a top level prototype for Le Mans that would be called a Corvette but would compete with the Audi and Peugeot. Although those plans would have been for a 2010 roll out of the car with a new class and set of rules that were supposed to have been put in place.

The P1 class was announced as going away. In 2007 the ACO announced that in 2010 they would phase out P1 and replace it with an EVO class that required closed cockpits, a front end that resembled the street car that the prototype was supposed to be based on, and reduced performance. Since then, it looks like Audi and Peugeot complained enough to get P1 rolled back in which means the new EVO class might be dead before getting started if the powers that be don't come up with a new plan for the EVO cars or change their mind and go back to dropping the P1 class.

So if GM still decides to go for the over all win at Le Mans, they'll be doing it in a car that has a lot less in common with the street car regardless of whether or not the street car is front mid engined or rear mid engined and regardless of whether the race car is a P1 car or an EVO car.

To throw another wrench into the works, there are supposedly plans underway to roll the GT1 and GT2 classes together with a spec that's closer to the GT2 class. If this happens and GM stays in the Le Mans based series' then they'll have to have a new car by 2010 no matter what.

Lastly, 2010 is when the contract with Pratt & Miller ends, so they might just decide to end their involvement in Le Mans/ALMS all together since the EVO class has been scrapped and the current cars won't be able to compete even if they are re-skinned for a C7 version.

Most of the above race/rules information is from articles at www.motorsport.com www.autoweek.com and www.automobile.com

Artist renderings of the proposed Corvette EVO Le Mans prototype in this forum:
    http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2014835

A quick synopsis of the situation the Corvette Racing team is facing with uncertain rules:
    http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...1/newsletter01

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by New_Mexico_Sunset_on_Rt66 View Post

No, I mean P1. The only way GM can take #1 overall is with a LMP1 car. The only way GM is going to develop a P1 car is if their bottom line gets better and they have extra cash to throw around.

The EVO class is such a stupid idea, it's just an EVOlution of the still born closed cockpit P1 class. Audi scraped their closed cockpit R8(it wasn't nearly competitive enough with the open cars) and sold the plans to Bentley.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tigger#76 View Post

To throw another wrench into the works, there are supposedly plans underway to roll the GT1 and GT2 classes together with a spec that's closer to the GT2 class. If this happens and GM stays in the Le Mans based series' then they'll have to have a new car by 2010 no matter what.
    A ZR1 would do quite well in GT2.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

I watched the beginning and the end of the race. What happened in the middle? Why did Aston win? Was is all about speed, or did the Corvette teams have some problems?

Thanks
    My Ride
    Cadillac ATS 2017 Blue

GT1 as we know it is going away...supposedly there will be one GT class so more brands can compete...like BMW for example. That also means the LS7 427 engine will be gone in the Vettes. So the car will be less like a ZO6 and more like the base car and the LS3. That means all new cars and all new development costs. If AM stays it will probably be with the Vantage model and not the DBR9. The Saleens with their 427 will be gone too.
    A very sad day for the current P&M team and GM in general is approaching. I wish we knew what was coming. The current team generates so much good will worldwide for Corvette, and image for the brand that I really hope they don't withdraw.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information