Corvette Racing Completes Successful Two-Day Test in Sebring

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Corvette Racing Completes Successful Two-Day Test in Sebring

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar PistonsFan's Avatar
    Thanks

Chevrolet Team Continues Development of New Corvette C6.R Race Cars
    2012-02-09
    Source: AmericanLeMans.com

SEBRING, Fla., Feb. 9, 2012 - This was only a test - but as the final shakedown before the season-opening 60th Anniversary Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring, the two-day ALMS Winter Test at Sebring International Raceway was crucial for Corvette Racing. The Chevrolet team continued to develop its new Compuware Corvette C6.R race cars and integrate its new driver lineups. The team also unveiled its 2012 livery that features Jake, the team mascot, in the striking yellow and black graphics.

Corvette Racing participated in the series' official preseason test with two new chassis, one new driver, and a revised lineup. Twenty-year-old Jordan Taylor of Apopka, Fla., made his public debut as a Corvette Racing driver, sharing the No. 3 Corvette C6.R with co-drivers Jan Magnussen and Antonio Garcia. Tommy Milner settled in with the No. 4 Corvette C6.R that he now shares with teammates Oliver Gavin and Richard Westbrook.

Announced last month as the third driver for the Sebring, Le Mans, and Road Atlanta endurance races, Taylor adapted quickly to both his new race car and new team. "It's been exciting so far, being teamed with Jan Magnussen and Antonio Garcia for the three long-distance races," Taylor said. "It's a lot of pressure, but also a huge opportunity for me to drive with these guys and to learn from them.

"Every time I get out of the car, I compare the data with them to see where I can improve," Taylor explained. "Yesterday Jan was helping me with Turn 1 and now I'm on pace with the quicker guys. Things are going really well so far!"

The twin Corvette C6.R race cars completed nearly 15 hours of track time without any significant issues. While long runs took priority over fast laps, both Corvettes ran considerably quicker than the 2:01.561 lap time that won the GT pole at Sebring last year. The No. 4 Corvette was clocked at 2:00.700, and the No. 3 Corvette turned a lap in 2:00.799 on the historic 17-turn, 3.7-mile circuit.

"The work that the team has done during the off-season gives me a lot of confidence," said Milner. "I can really feel the results when I drive the car, and that's very encouraging. Every test matters and every outing counts because the racing is so competitive in GT. Everyone at Corvette Racing is looking toward our ultimate goals - winning races, winning the 24 Hours of Le Mans, and winning the ALMS GT championship. Testing here in Sebring with our competitors has given us a benchmark to see how our work has paid off."

Milner's co-driver, Oliver Gavin, agreed: "The new car is very good, and the wider track has helped with the balance," the Briton said. "I would almost say that this GT Corvette C6.R handles like the GT1 Corvettes we raced several years ago. It's simply amazing how the technology, the aerodynamic development, and all of the work done by Corvette Racing's engineers and crew have taken us a step forward for 2012."

Corvette Racing's next event is the season-opening 60th Anniversary Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring at Sebring International Raceway on March 17.

Read more: AmericanLeMans.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar PistonsFan's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Corvette Racing Completes Successful Two-Day Test in Sebring

I know there's a handful of people here that follow the series, so I figured I would share. There were some significant changes to the Vettes this year and they are looking good so far.

It's only a Winter Test session, so we won't really know who's the fastest until Sebring. But as of now, it looks like Ferrari in the front and Corvette close behind. Glad to see BMW's not leading the pack this year.

And a tenth of a second on a 2:00 lap is nothing, especially for a 12 hour race. Hoping for better season this year (hope the Corvettes don't crash into each other this year).

Test session results:
    http://www.americanlemans.com/primar...esults#current
    Last edited by PistonsFan; 02-09-2012 at 07:58 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    1992 Supra Turbo

Thanks. It's going to be a great season!
    Straights are for fast cars, corners are for fast drivers.

1992 Supra Turbo (Modified)
    2014 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ RS (Trifecta Tune Coming Soon)
    Past Rides:
    Nissan Murano SLE AWD
    Chrysler Conquest TSI (Modified)
    Toyota Celica ST
    '77 COTY Chevrolet Caprice Classic w/F41 option

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) germeezy1's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

The C6R, is and has been by far one of my favorite race cars. I often dream of picking up a C5R as a track day only car.
    I want a car so violent that the mere thought of full throttle would cause a heart attack. That actually going wide open throttle in would result in nothing less than instant death!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    1992 Supra Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by PistonsFan View Post
    It's only a Winter Test session, so we won't really know who's the fastest until Sebring. But as of now, it looks like Ferrari in the front and Corvette close behind. Glad to see BMW's not leading the pack this year.

And a tenth of a second on a 2:00 lap is nothing, especially for a 12 hour race. Hoping for better season this year (hope the Corvettes don't crash into each other this year).

Test session results:
    http://www.americanlemans.com/primar...esults#current

Nobody is going to show their true pace and risk early season restrictions...
    Straights are for fast cars, corners are for fast drivers.

1992 Supra Turbo (Modified)
    2014 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ RS (Trifecta Tune Coming Soon)
    Past Rides:
    Nissan Murano SLE AWD
    Chrysler Conquest TSI (Modified)
    Toyota Celica ST
    '77 COTY Chevrolet Caprice Classic w/F41 option

Thanks
    My Ride
    Cadillac ATS 2017 Blue

Quote Originally Posted by supraracer View Post
    For sure everyone is not showing their cards yet.............one additional ex- team car this year ?? Anyone know who owns last year teamcars ??

Thanks

I can't wait for the season to start.
    "More powerful, quicker and outright faster than a comparable BMW, Cadillac’s newest model is the best reason to skip the letter M and head all the way down the alphabet to V."
    Current Rides: 13’ Audi A3 Hatch TDI
    17’ Cadillac CT6 3.6
    16’ Cadillac ELR

b4z
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Pontiac GTO, 19 F150 2.7

Quote Originally Posted by supraracer View Post
    This.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Hopefully Corvette Racing takes no prisoners this year and hopefully the win LeMans and the ALMS championship!
    Last edited by Burnout Czar; 02-10-2012 at 08:50 PM.
    From the office of the Burnout Czar.

6.0 Liter L76 V8 Premium Member jbernie's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Chevrolet Volt

very much enjoy the C6R and ALMS/LMS..hey I am wearing my Corevtte Racing polo today... go Corvette Racing!!!
    Talk is cheap, sometimes it is on sale.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,308 Times in 4,035 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Man I hate BMW, they were damn fast last year..
    I would like corvette racing to put cameras in the rear and side...so that we can see the feed as they race side by side.. and hear the noise loud!! I also want them to be fastest.. Screw Ferarri, make them faster...

Meanwhile does anyone know if they are running a direct injection motor this year?

Based on all those tests, there is 1 Porsche there to be afraid off. They however need to take care of raw speed before the first race, and the rest of it just comes to discipline at the track and especially at the pits.
    Last edited by mbukukanyau; 02-11-2012 at 03:01 AM.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information