Corvette Quickest at Le Mans Test Day

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corvette Quickest at Le Mans Test Day

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar PistonsFan's Avatar
    Thanks

Gavin Sets the Pace in GTE Pro in No. 74 Corvette C6.R; Taylor Walks Away from Encounter with Tire Wall in No. 73 Corvette C6.R
    Corvette Racing

LE MANS, France - Corvette Racing ended the Le Mans Test Day first and fourth in the GTE Pro category. Oliver Gavin ran the quickest lap in the two four-hour sessions at 3:58.971 in the No. 74 Compuware Corvette C6.R, more than half a second quicker than the car's qualifying pace last year. The No. 73 Compuware Corvette C6.R covered the 8.5-mile circuit in 4:00.062, the fourth fastest time in the production-based class, before being sidelined by an encounter with a tire wall.

"We made some changes to the suspension and gearbox, and the track was coming in," said Gavin after his fast lap. "The balance of the car was good. We didn't get a run on new tires because of rain and yellow flags, but the tires were reasonably fresh and I wanted to see what we could do. I think the chassis is very close and the engine department is making big steps forward. I'm with the best team in the pit lane and the crew has done a stellar job of preparing the cars."

At the top of the team's to-do list was qualifying rookie Jordan Taylor to drive the No. 73 Corvette at Le Mans. After co-driving the GT class-winning Camaro GT.R in the Chevrolet Grand-Am Detroit 200 on Saturday, the 21-year-old racer took an overnight flight to Paris and then hopped on a helicopter to Le Mans. He arrived at the circuit just before the start of the afternoon session at 2 p.m., and promptly completed his required 10 laps.

Taylor's Le Mans debut then ended abruptly in the tire wall at the entrance to the Porsche Curves. Taylor was uninjured, but the No. 73 Corvette had right-side body damage and did not return for the remainder of the afternoon session.

"Racing takes you from the highest highs to the lowest lows," Taylor said. "I was living the dream, driving at Le Mans, and the dream just ends when you lose it like that. I know the crew can put the car back together, but it shouldn't have happened.

"I was only supposed to get my 10 laps in and I guess I got a bit greedy trying to learn the track and get up to speed quicker," he explained. "My times were coming down every lap, but I went for it in the Porsche Curves and it caught me out. The hit felt bigger than it was, so I'm glad about that, but I feel terrible for everyone."

Before the accident, Taylor's co-drivers Jan Magnussen and Antonio Garcia put the No. 73 Corvette close to the 4-minute mark on a day that saw a mix of rain, sun, clouds and blue sky.

"All's good," Garcia said. "We have been trying different things today, getting the 2012-spec car dialed in to this track. At Le Mans, every lap always counts, even if it rains for a while. You never know what the weather and track conditions will be in qualifying and the race, so you try to get as much information today to work with next week when it matters. Compared to last year, the new car is a major improvement."

Magnussen agreed: "Overall we're in much better shape than last year at the same time thanks to the development the team did over winter," he said. "The balance is very good and the car is user-friendly which is important in a long race. The starting point is the best I've had in a long time, and I'm really happy."

Richard Westbrook, third driver in the No. 74 Corvette, was unable to attend the Test Day, but Gavin and Tommy Milner are confident that the car will suit all of its drivers. "It's always good when your car number is on the top of the timing screen," Milner said. "Compared to last year, the driveability of the car is better and the speed is there. This team is working very well together - the engineers, the crew, and the drivers are all in tune and have the same mindset. When race week arrives, we can focus on getting into a rhythm, getting Richard comfortable in the car, and go on from there."

Team manager Gary Pratt, a veteran of 12 Le Mans campaigns with Corvette Racing, knows what to expect at this race. "This place will jump up and bite you in a hurry," Pratt said. "That's the first mistake I've seen Jordan make. Tire walls look like they do a lot of damage, but it's mostly exterior panels so it's not a big deal. We'll have the No. 73 Corvette fixed and be ready to go again.

"All of the drivers are really comfortable with the cars," Pratt noted. "They feel they can be aggressive and attack the course. That's a great way to have a car to start the race. We may sacrifice a little on the straightaway to have the cars good in the corners, and I think that's better for the race."

Corvette Racing's next event is the 24 Hours of Le Mans in Le Mans, France, on June 16-17. The 80th running of the Le Mans 24 Hours will begin with technical scrutineering on Sunday and Monday, June 10-11, followed by practice and qualifying on Wednesday, June 13, and Thursday, June 14. The race will start Saturday at 3 p.m. local time (9 a.m. ET). SPEED and SPEED.com will provide continuous coverage starting at 8:30 a.m. ET on June 16; see local listings for program times.

24 Hours of Le Mans Test Day GTE-Pro Results
    Pos./Car No./Drivers/Car
    1. 74 Gavin/Milner/Westbrook, Corvette C6.R, 3:58.971
    2. 59 Makowiecki/Melo/Farnbacher, Ferrari 458 Italia, 3:59.050
    3. 51 Fisichella/Bruni/Vilander, Ferrari 458 Italia, 3:59.392
    4. 73 Garcia/Magnussen/Taylor, Corvette C6.R, 4:00.062
    5. 80 Bergmeister/Long/Holzer, Porsche 911 RSR, 4:00.287
    6. 77 Lietz/Lieb/Henzler, Porsche 911 RSR, 4:00.356
    7. 71 Bertolini/Beretta/Cioci, Ferrari 458 Italia, 4:00.690
    8. 97 Mucke/Turner/Fernandez, Aston Martin Vantage V8, 4:00.892

Release Date: June 3, 2012

Corvette Racing

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Re: Corvette Quickest at Le Mans Test Day

Those Ferrari's sure became competitive really fast, and the Porsche sure fell off of the face of the earth.

Thanks

PistonsFan,

Thank you for your post. I am happy to read that Corvette Racing performed quite well. Too bad about Taylor, however.

Over the past year and a half both my wife and I have become pretty big fans of the ALMS. After attending last year's ALMS race at Mid Ohio, we both became hooked on this series. My wife isn't even into racing! She enjoyed it so much that we're already set to attend again this year. Cant wait for August 4th and looking forward to watching Corvette Racing at LeMans.

Go Corvette Racing!
    Current Rides: 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek, 2012 Mitsubishi Outlander GT S-AWC

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,309 Times in 4,036 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

They are being sand bagged by BMW.. I hope they keep their cards close to their chest... till raceday

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar PistonsFan's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoAura View Post
    PistonsFan,

Thank you for your post. I am happy to read that Corvette Racing performed quite well. Too bad about Taylor, however.

Over the past year and a half both my wife and I have become pretty big fans of the ALMS. After attending last year's ALMS race at Mid Ohio, we both became hooked on this series. My wife isn't even into racing! She enjoyed it so much that we're already set to attend again this year. Cant wait for August 4th and looking forward to watching Corvette Racing at LeMans.

Go Corvette Racing!
    Mid-Ohio is a great track for spectators.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PistonsFan View Post
    Mid-Ohio is a great track for spectators.
    Agree.
    Current Rides: 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek, 2012 Mitsubishi Outlander GT S-AWC

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Suziebob's Avatar
    Thanks

As bad ass as that car looks... I wish they'd go back to the simpler all yellow scheme.

"When one side only of a story is heard and often repeated, the human mind becomes impressed with it insensibly."
    -George Washington

"You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do."
    -Henry Ford

Thanks
    My Ride

Porsche's just moved to a new Chassis, and Ferrari has had 2 years of development work, and corvette 3 years.

I would love to see corvette win this one for their 60th anniversary, but man!! its a whole 24 hours and people are already kissing walls before racing even begins....

I have learnt that showing your true speed in a long race before the race begins is a bad idea..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    Porsche's just moved to a new Chassis, and Ferrari has had 2 years of development work, and corvette 3 years.

I would love to see corvette win this one for their 60th anniversary, but man!! its a whole 24 hours and people are already kissing walls before racing even begins....

I have learnt that showing your true speed in a long race before the race begins is a bad idea..
    The 24 hour race has become such that at times its more like a 24 hour sprint race, that is brutal on the cars.

Thanks

Jordon,Rick and Wayne Taylor are as good as it gets in Motorsports. Totally sincere and honest. Dad, Wayne, must be incredibly proud of his boys. Let's hope the damage to the 74 Vette is indeed minor. From everything I have read about LeMans, the Corvettes have always been crowd favourites. The sound of the Chevy engine at full speed down the Mulsanne Straight is pure nervana.
    1966 Corvair Corsa

b4z
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Pontiac GTO, 19 F150 2.7

Porsches are built to last, or maybe outlast.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by b4z View Post
    Porsches are built to last, or maybe outlast.
    No wonder they have not won a race in oooh... I forget how long...

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Jordon,Rick and Wayne Taylor are as good as it gets in Motorsports. Totally sincere and honest. Dad, Wayne, must be incredibly proud of his boys. Let's hope the damage to the 74 Vette is indeed minor. From everything I have read about LeMans, the Corvettes have always been crowd favourites. The rumble of the Chevy engine at full speed down the Mulsanne Straight is pure Valhalla.
    fixed it for you
    Last edited by mbukukanyau; 06-07-2012 at 10:33 AM.

Thanks

In other series the new 911 has been pretty competitive against V8s I think Porsche has been sand bagging here early on.
    "More powerful, quicker and outright faster than a comparable BMW, Cadillac’s newest model is the best reason to skip the letter M and head all the way down the alphabet to V."
    Current Rides: 13’ Audi A3 Hatch TDI
    17’ Cadillac CT6 3.6
    16’ Cadillac ELR

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by bballer113 View Post
    In other series the new 911 has been pretty competitive against V8s I think Porsche has been sand bagging here early on.
    Not really, it takes time to develop a race car..at least 2 seasons... They would have been fast right of the start.. if they could.. Ferrari cars are now becoming competitive...

right now, I doubt anyone can run faster than BMW and Corvettes, they have had 3 years to work on their cars...

Thanks
    My Ride
    Cadillac ATS 2017 Blue

Ferrari got faster because they got new aero and wider rear wheels..........now Corvette has even newer aero and wider fenders to balance it out....they seemed to do the best job in the wind tunnel. They have the fastest cars , even they are down on power until the direct injection is allowed. What kills me is that the new Viper was allowed a 8.2 engine as a dispensation !! Viper will arrive later this summer.....not at Lemans. Wierd that the 5.5 is the basis for GT2 V8 rules and Viper is still V10.
    Last edited by JerryL; 06-07-2012 at 01:33 PM.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information