Chevy almost nixed future NASCAR participation

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chevy almost nixed future NASCAR participation

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,115 Times in 1,032 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Chevy almost nixed future NASCAR participation

Chevy's future tied to 'Gen 6' car?
    Updated: February 16, 2013
    By David Newton | ESPN.com

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- Chevrolet may have pulled out of NASCAR had the governing body not developed the new "Gen 6" car that returns brand identity to the sport.

"It would have been a good chance," team owner Rick Hendrick said on Saturday at Daytona International Speedway. "As a matter of fact, I'm sure they might have."

Hendrick, the owner of Hendrick Motorsports and one of the top owners of automobile dealerships in the United States, made the comment during the unveiling of the 2014 Chevrolet SS production car that will debut in NASCAR this season.

NASCAR president Mike Helton said Chevrolet led the charge two years ago for a return to manufacturer identity that was lost with the CoT that was used from 2007 through last season.

"Mark kind of voiced that, that if we can't be relevant we don't race," Hendrick said. "We had a lot riding on that, and we needed it anyway. We had beaten that COT to death."

NASCAR introduced fuel injection to its cars last season because manufacturers wanted it, then worked with Chevrolet, Ford and Toyota to make the body of the cars look like those on the showroom floor for this season.

"They backed us in a corner and said, 'Here's what you guys need to think about doing,'" Helton said.
    CONTINUE AT ESPN
    "La vita č come un albero di Natale..c'č sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,115 Times in 1,032 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Re: Chevy almost nixed future NASCAR participation

Interesting. The article says that Reuss tempered his statement when asked about it, but good for him (and others) in pushing to make the cars more relevant and related to their production counterparts. In fact, it kind of makes you wonder how they let things get so far afield to begin with, since, in Nascar, the manufacturer's image is very much wrapped into their racing efforts.

I'm glad that this changed -- and perhaps Nascar had no choice but to comply. Losing Chevy would have been huge, especially now that Dodge is no longer participating.
    "La vita č come un albero di Natale..c'č sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

Thanks

Matches what PDL was saying. Personally I wish Chevy had pulled out of NASCAR. It ain't what it used to be.
    Past
    1984 Ford Crown Victoria
    1994 Buick Park Avenue
    1995 Ford Probe GT
    2001 VW Jetta TDI
    2002 VW Jetta TDI
    2005 VW Passat TDI
    2005 Chevy Trailblazer
    2006 VW Jetta TDI

Present
    2011 Buick Regal Turbo T05 Manual
    2011 Chrysler Town & Country

Future
    2015 Volt 2.0

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member vanshmack's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by krusshall View Post
    Matches what PDL was saying. Personally I wish Chevy had pulled out of NASCAR. It ain't what it used to be.
    Very true. It's way better than it used to be!
    1987 Pontiac Trans Am GTA
    1958 Chevrolet Apache - The wife's project
    1988 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z L98
    2015 BMW X1 xDrive35i M-Sport
    2020 GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vanshmack View Post
    Very true. It's way better than it used to be!
    We've gone back and forth on this before. The competitiveness may be better but the relevance is not what it used to be.
    Past
    1984 Ford Crown Victoria
    1994 Buick Park Avenue
    1995 Ford Probe GT
    2001 VW Jetta TDI
    2002 VW Jetta TDI
    2005 VW Passat TDI
    2005 Chevy Trailblazer
    2006 VW Jetta TDI

Present
    2011 Buick Regal Turbo T05 Manual
    2011 Chrysler Town & Country

Future
    2015 Volt 2.0

Banned
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Chevrolet & Cadillac

Good for Mark for keeping this real. Some folks think keeping stuff real doesn't matter. It Does... And I'm glad this good man sees that and does what he can. Something like that takes balls. Maybe I'll watch this year.. I've loved to race late models for years as a personally hobby to enjoy on the weekends but rarely tuned into Nascar. Now if he could only fix NHRA.

Somebody obviously has a clue though in the halls of RenCen concerning that sport as well though. The COPO is proof of that.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member vanshmack's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by krusshall View Post
    We've gone back and forth on this before. The competitiveness may be better but the relevance is not what it used to be.
    I guess we'll just need to agree to disagree!
    1987 Pontiac Trans Am GTA
    1958 Chevrolet Apache - The wife's project
    1988 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z L98
    2015 BMW X1 xDrive35i M-Sport
    2020 GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation

GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,421 Times in 3,326 Posts

Maybe next time.....

I miss old NASCAR. When they used to actually use real cars. When the drivers had personality and were real people. I wish Chevy and everyone else would pull out of today's NASCAR and let them broil in the juices of their generic, non-discript NASCARs, and corporately imaged drivers.
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Buick Rendezvous /99 GMC

Im glad to see NASCAR putting a little more" Stock" in Stock Car Racing. This is a move in the right direction.
    I'm glad GM put pressure on them to restore brand identity.This should help boost fan enthusiasm and up the TV ratings. The new cars look great.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Z284ever View Post
    Maybe next time.....

I miss old NASCAR. When they used to actually use real cars. When the drivers had personality and were real people. I wish Chevy and everyone else would pull out of today's NASCAR and let them broil in the juices of their generic, non-discript NASCARs, and corporately imaged drivers.
    I hear what you are saying and miss seeing actual production cars racing around Daytona. But you do know that today's production filled to the rim with roll bars could be nowhere as safe as the Gen 6 cars.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 KingElvis's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '10 DODGE RAM ST RC HEMI 4.10

I just can't see anyone buying a car because of NASCAR when there's nothing in the the racecars that relates to the production ones. That is news to me that they finally have adopted fuel injection. Wow!
    Check out my automotive blog Hidden Content

Thanks
    Thanked 1,428 Times in 910 Posts

I might start watching again if they start using production based drivetrains again. I won’t hold my breath but it would be nice to see.
    Join the Code 130R Facebook Group! Hidden Content

"Trying to be the world's fastest trombonist is like trying to be the world's tallest midget."
    Alan Raph, NYC Bass Trombonist

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Evo69's Avatar
    Thanks

My best case NASCAR scenario would be seeing mostly stock but high performance Malibus Fusions Avengers Altimas Camrys Mazda6s Sonatas Accords Passats Optimas etc. in corporate livery battling it out on the Oval race track. But that would take a total mind shift of all those that are involved with the sport. Cars like the Chevy SS Dodge Charger Mercedes E Class BMW 5 series belongs to a super car racing series like in Australia and Europe.
    Hidden Content
    I find it sad that some people wish for GM to fail and can't comprehend any good news. A plausible explanation for this kind of behavior is that you have a miserable life so you wish the same to others. Cory Pham, Autoblog Poster

GM must return its divisions to being interdependent entities within the corporation. Decentralize and free the different divisions talents to foster brand differentiation and customer loyalty.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    07 Vette Cruze 2015 Colorado

If GM had gotten out, it would have killed NASCAR. Toyota's would be racing among themselves. When I was a kid it was a race between the Fords, GM's and Chryslers. Today the media hardly mention what the drivers are driving.

NASCAR has made many stupid decisions over the years. One of them is the restriction of using new technologies. Carburetors should have been gone decades ago and has only recently disappeared. NASCAR use to be a test bed for new technologies, not so today. Years back many new technologies came from NASCAR to regular automobiles. Cubic inches should be the limiting factor for going too fast. NASCAR would be a lot more interesting if cars could use the latests tech. The restrictions are way too much. Like I said, cubic inches should be the big main big restriction.

By the way, the old rule that a company has to make and sell 500 cars with some of the new tech used in NASCAR, should still apply. Otherwise that tech might never reach the street.
    Last edited by Al465; 02-21-2013 at 11:16 AM.

Thanks

I wish NASCAR would run true stock cars. Off the lot 'Bus, Fusions, and Camry four cylinders.

It'd be more relavant and entertaining than the stock car facade series they've run for a generation or two.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information