Chevrolet, Still Lagging Behind, Gets A NASCAR Upgrade

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Chevrolet, Still Lagging Behind, Gets A NASCAR Upgrade

Thanks
    Thanked 1,224 Times in 658 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Cadillac XT5 - 16 Traverse

Chevrolet, Still Lagging Behind, Gets A NASCAR Upgrade

Chevrolet introduced the muscle-bound Camaro ZL1 as its NASCAR Cup brand at the outset of the 2018 season, and the dang thing won the pole position for the Daytona 500 and the race itself. Remember Austin Dillon? Then the Camaro was not so muscular, winning three races the rest of the season. In comparison, Ford won 19 races and the 2018 Cup title, and Toyota 13 races. This year has only been a little better for Chevy. The Camaro has seven Cup victories, but Toyota has 17 and Ford has nine, and Chevyís two drivers have lots of ground to gain in the eight-car playoffs.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davecal.../#58982ca27ade

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar IROCNROL1's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2020 Camaro/next year, anyway.

Re: Chevrolet, Still Lagging Behind, Gets A NASCAR Upgrade

I was a NASCAR fan a long time ago. First thing that gave me pause was when other manufacturers complained that the mid 1990s Monte Carlos had an unfair areodynamic advantage. Maybe they did but the templates matched the rather boring production models almost exactly. What was that thing about STOCK?

Next up was Dale Earnhardt's death. He was my 'favorite' driver but that isn't where I'm going here. He was the last of the larger than life untouchables. NASCAR could now clamp down and control drivers. Remember Kevin Harvick's suspension for driving like Dale?

Win on Sunday, sell on Monday? Didn't work for Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Dodge, or Chevrolet did it?

NASCAR claims it's goal is parity but if that were true Chevrolet would win the most, Ford would be second, and Toyota last based on numbers alone. It's just the opposite.

There's also the matter of sand bagging. Toyota has been accused of it but of course it's drivers laugh that off. Curiously though, Toyota dominates the races until they will be well represented in the playoffs. Then Ford and Chevy can eek out a few token wins. Top three right now are all Toyotas, btw.

Lastly, I believe NASCAR isn't really about racing anymore and hasn't been for quite some time. The main priority is to put on a well orchestrated and controlled spectacle in an attempt to draw more fans in. It isn't working though.

Just my opinions on the 'sport'.
    It sounded pretty good until I actually said it.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IROCNROL1 For This Useful Post:

mbukukanyau (11-03-2019),posaune (11-04-2019)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,680 Times in 3,242 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

The moment I found out Toyota was in was the moment I knew it was all fake. Toyota does not have a production V8 worth speaking of, there is nothing Toyota about Toyota in NASCAR.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,975 Times in 1,937 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    The moment I found out Toyota was in was the moment I knew it was all fake. Toyota does not have a production V8 worth speaking of, there is nothing Toyota about Toyota in NASCAR.
    It's sad that so many things in life these daze(sic) have to be phonied up.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Self Reliance's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    NASCAR is stuck in the 1950s though, no modern car resembles a stock car
    26 + 6 = 1

09W
    Thanks

^ Well; the 1980s. Still stock bodied, with some of the stock trim. By '90, it was done.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 09W For This Useful Post:

Self Reliance (11-05-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,427 Times in 909 Posts

I might start watching again if the stock part of NASCAR was to comeback some.
    Join the Code 130R Facebook Group! Hidden Content

"Trying to be the world's fastest trombonist is like trying to be the world's tallest midget."
    Alan Raph, NYC Bass Trombonist

12. The Following User Says Thank You to posaune For This Useful Post:

Self Reliance (11-05-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gb2000 View Post
    Chevy could take 10 years off and still be number 1 with overall wins in NASCAR it's not even close.
    Maybe GM should and save some money. NASCAR is irrelevant as far as modern car engineering is concerned, and by that I mean the technology is not transferable to a street car, unlike say 24 Hours of Le Mans or WRC.
    26 + 6 = 1

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Self Reliance For This Useful Post:

Let Them Fail (11-04-2019)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Sierra Denali Ultimate

People still watch NASCAR?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wallus13 View Post
    People still watch NASCAR?
    Mostly for the drama
    26 + 6 = 1

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by IROCNROL1 View Post
    Lastly, I believe NASCAR isn't really about racing anymore and hasn't been for quite some time. The main priority is to put on a well orchestrated and controlled spectacle in an attempt to draw more fans in. It isn't working though.
    I used to watch a lot also but many of the big personalities like Earnhardt, Stewart and Harvick are all long gone. Add in the stupid "stage racing" and it has lost it's luster. Good racing is good racing but NASCAR has become extra dull.

Still watch Indy Car - much better. F1 can be good but some races are pretty dull also.

I think 2 quick fixes would help NASCAR a bit - More road courses and get rid of the stage racing. Longer term they need to grow the sport out of the country and make the races more exciting. Indy cars have "push to pass" - that might be an idea!

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar IROCNROL1's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2020 Camaro/next year, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by kool1 View Post
    I used to watch a lot also but many of the big personalities like Earnhardt, Stewart and Harvick are all long gone. Add in the stupid "stage racing" and it has lost it's luster. Good racing is good racing but NASCAR has become extra dull.

Still watch Indy Car - much better. F1 can be good but some races are pretty dull also.

I think 2 quick fixes would help NASCAR a bit - More road courses and get rid of the stage racing. Longer term they need to grow the sport out of the country and make the races more exciting. Indy cars have "push to pass" - that might be an idea!
    IMHO the dullness actually comes from NASCAR trying to add TOO much glitter. Like I mentioned, they want to put on a show, not a race. I fully agree with more road courses. I said the same for years and years and then quit watching.

I realize it was just one race but take a look at the results from Martinsville. 500 laps. Truex led 464. Hamlin led 30. Kyle Larson led 6. So then, Toyota led 494, Chevy got 6, and Ford managed 0. I haven't watched a race in years but I can easily imagine how tough it was for the commentators to put an excitement spin on that borefest. At least no one can accuse Toyota of sandbagging in that race.
    Last edited by IROCNROL1; 11-05-2019 at 11:08 PM.
    It sounded pretty good until I actually said it.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by IROCNROL1 View Post
    IMHO the dullness actually comes from NASCAR trying to add TOO much glitter. Like I mentioned, they want to put on a show, not a race. I fully agree with more road courses. I said the same for years and years and then quit watching.

I realize it was just one race but take a look at the results from Martinsville. 500 laps. Truex led 464. Hamlin led 30. Kyle Larson led 6. So then, Toyota led 494, Chevy got 6, and Ford managed 0. I haven't watched a race in years but I can easily imagine how tough it was for the commentators to put an excitement spin on that borefest. At least no one can accuse Toyota of sandbagging in that race.
    Funny - my buddy is a huge NASCAR fan - even he posted on FB that it was a snooze of a race.

NASCAR has always been a big show - I don't see that as different today vs 15 years ago. I do see a lack of connection between fans and the drivers and I do see the races being less exciting. Can't remember the last time I saw Logano or a Truex Jr sticker or shirt on someone younger than 50 either. I took my son to 2 races and he has no real interest. Last time he was on his phone for 1/2 the race.

20. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information