GM Inside News Forum banner

Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged Teams Make Strong Showing At Daytona

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Randle2I 
#1 · (Edited)
Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged Teams Make Strong Showing At Daytona
Backstretch Motorsports
Saturday, 27 January 2007

Team Cobalt California and Georgian Bay Motorsports Finish in Top Ten

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. Jan. 26, 2007 – Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged Grand-Am KONI Challenge Series teams made a strong showing in the first round run at Daytona International Speedway in the Street Tuner Class (ST) today.

Team Cobalt California with drivers Thomas Lepper and Bo Roach had the top finish for the Chevrolet contenders today. The pair managed to bring their number 48 Chevrolet Cobalt SS from their 16th place qualifying effort home to finish the three-hour race in ninth place.

“We ran a really clean race,” Roach commented about the three-hour race. “We had the strategy to go out and stay out of trouble and that is exactly what we did. The cars were so good under braking, that helped to us to make up a little ground. I really had to work the draft on the high bank to try and keep up. Our pit stop went well and we ran as high as fourth place.”

Last year’s top Cobalt SS team, Georgian Bay Motorsports, were headed for a stout top finish when a tire issue thwarted their charge. Jamie Holtam and Eric Curran ran toward the top in the ST class most of the race and ended up 10th.

“We had a shot at a top five or better,” relayed Holtom. “I was going into the Horseshoe turn and had a lot of understeer, which I did not before and I knew there was a problem. I had to pit as the left rear tire had gone down. It is too bad, we had a great driving car and we were well positioned for the finish.”

Enrique Gelpi, Chris Wehrheim and Victor Gonzalez came across the finish in 11th place. The Team Cobalt California trio had a rough start, but ended the day on a high-note.

Full Article: http://www.backstretchmotorsports.com/bm/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9368&Itemid=78

Note: The GS Class races alongside the ST Class - the Mustang in this photo is from GS:

See less See more
#3 ·
If they can keep this type of racing going they should be in a good position when the Nascar bubble burts. Much interesting to see "real" cars racing as opposed to generic shells with different logos.

Even if I don't mind watching Nascar, tv coverage of racing in Australia was much better, F1, British Touring Cars (crazy guys), 500cc motorbikes, Aussie V8 Touring Cars, etc.

#4 ·
Ming said:
Saw some photos of the race and it was sad how empty the stands were. Guess NASCAR personalities and supercharged advertising trump this brand of "stock car" racing....

Oh well, at least the sponsorship and award money for the series was bumped up this year. Baby steps...
well when the media only covers comprehensively nascar and it gets sooo much exposure, what do you expect. If they had races in the metro detroit area, I'd show up to one, but I doubt it for a while at least, ;). I like seeing real cars instead of dumbarse almost no skill cars whipping by at 186 mph. Yes it takes skill but relative to a road race or a LeMans track or FormulaOne, its less difficult I would venture to say. This is a decent start, keep it up Cobalt SS drivers!!!

CobaltSScrazy

#5 ·
It'll be interesting to see how the former Formula Driver Juan Pablo Montoya does in Nascar.

#7 · (Edited)
GotAWD said:
let him juan-der around the track and let his head spin wondering why did he ever leave a good race car series to become a celebratie. i think F1 would be more fun than Circle track racing.
It may be fun to drive in F1, but it's very boring to watch (imo)!

#9 ·
Ming said:
I haven't been following NASCAR much since I made an attempt to get into it a few years ago, but an F1 driver moving to NASCAR? I can't help but think of the rival French driver in Talladega Nights. :)
The best movie ever made. :D

I'd watch and support this type of racing if it got any coverage. I'm sick of all the NASCAR BS.

#10 ·
Grand Am Cup racing is fantastic. The Cobalts are great handlers and are very reliable. They are down on power to the Acuras and BMWs. If I remember correctly the Cobalts had weight added to them near the end of last year because they were winning successive races. I would imagine they will get a weight reduction and the Acuras an increase before the next race.

#11 ·
GotAWD said:
let him juan-der around the track and let his head spin wondering why did he ever leave a good race car series to become a celebratie. i think F1 would be more fun than Circle track racing.
Your attempt at bashing Juan shows your bias against him and his decision. I'm willing to place money on Juan doing very well in NASCAR as long as he has a good team supporting him. He's one hell of a driver and NASCAR suites his driving style very well. His assistance in piloting the Riley/Lexus to first place this past weekend in his first race is a testament to his skill.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.