Champ Car, Indy Racing League working on truce

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Champ Car, Indy Racing League working on truce

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,115 Times in 1,032 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

SOURCE: AutoWeek

By CURT CAVIN

The off-again, on-again talks between the Indy Racing League and Champ Car World Series appear to be on again in an 11th-hour attempt to unify the two series for 2008.

IRL officials confirmed on Friday (Feb. 8) that league chairman Tony George and two of his top associates, along with Robert Clarke, the former head of Honda Performance Development, will fly to Motegi, Japan, this weekend to meet with Motegi track officials. Their pitch: Moving the April 19 Motegi race so that this year's Long Beach Grand Prix can be added to the IndyCar Series schedule.

Long Beach, which has been on Champ Car's schedule since 1984, is set to host its race April 20. The Long Beach promoter has a contract with the California city to stage the event and says the date is not changeable. Honda owns the Motegi track, which explains Clarke's presence on the trip with George.

The Motegi/Long Beach situation is just one of the key issues yet to be resolved, but George's willingness to fly 13 hours from Indianapolis to Japan indicates he is dedicated to finding a solution.

There are several things that must be accounted for before the two series can become one.

Champ Car has a handful of contracts with race promoters that need to be resolved. George said he's willing to add as many of those races to the IRL's 2008 schedule as possible. Date conflicts with existing IRL races are part of the obstacles, he said.
    MORE HERE
    "La vita č come un albero di Natale..c'č sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,115 Times in 1,032 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Re: Champ Car, Indy Racing League working on truce

If it happens, AMEN.

I knew they've been split for awhile, but I hope they can unify the series to create a true, premium open-wheel race series for the US.

The sooner this happens, the better.
    "La vita č come un albero di Natale..c'č sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nadepalma View Post
    If it happens, AMEN.

I knew they've been split for awhile, but I hope they can unify the series to create a true, premium open-wheel race series for the US.

The sooner this happens, the better.
    ...I couldn't agree more. Hope it FINALLY happens!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

DMC
    1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

I hope fans never forget that Tony George is to blame for the current state of American Open Wheel Racing. This is the man that will apparently be hailed as its savior if this deal is done.

Thankfully, I have ALMS to watch. I will never spend a dime on anything owned by Tony George.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

I'm happy they're coming together, but whoa... So close to the start of the season?

Making the CHAMP guys switch to Dallaras for the season is going to be tough, since so much effort has been put into the Panoz chasis. I would like to see them merge this year, however still run their own races (much like Rolex series or American LeMans). This way, this allows the CHAMP guys to familiarize themselves with the Dallara cars before competing. The only problem would be the Indy 500, as you can really have just one winner.

However, I like were this is going. Tony's idea of creating an inexpensive, oval-only series for Americans has been a flop... The series has gotten expensive, major car manufacturers have left, road courses have been added and the field is full of foreign drivers. With F1 gone from the US, let's hope that the merge ingnites Americans love of open wheel racing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Family Man View Post
    Making the CHAMP guys switch to Dallaras for the season is going to be tough, since so much effort has been put into the Panoz chasis. I would like to see them merge this year, however still run their own races (much like Rolex series or American LeMans). This way, this allows the CHAMP guys to familiarize themselves with the Dallara cars before competing. The only problem would be the Indy 500, as you can really have just one winner.
    Why can't Dallara and Panoz compete?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 New_Mexico_Sunset_on_Rt66's Avatar
    Cedar Rapids, IA (formerly sunny New Mexico (y muchacho lo falto))
    Thanks

Ehh, I'm more interested in the ALMS and Rolex Series. The Rolex Series has an awesome roster of drivers this year. I saw McNish was driving a DP at the '24hrs of Daytona'. I assume he is only doing that until the ALMS starts up again. I'm looking forward to another exciting summer of road racing. The "chase" between Gurney, Pruett and Angelelli last year was epic. And obviously I'm pulling for my boys Ron Fellows and Jan Magnussen with Pratt and Miller.
    Last edited by New_Mexico_Sunset_on_Rt66; 02-08-2008 at 04:29 PM.
    1979 Chevy Van
    1978 Pontiac Firebird
    1985 GMC S-15 Jimmy
    1992 Pontiac Grand Am
    1998 Oldmobile Intrigue
    2002 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28
    1972 Chevrolet C-10 P/U
    1979 Chevrolet K5 Blazer
    2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
    2001 Chevrolet Silverado LT 4x4 Ext Cab

"Sometimes you gotta say, 'What the *********'. "What the ********* gives you freedom, freedom creates opportunity, ... opportunity - makes your future." - 'Risky Business' 1983

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Hunid Racks's Avatar
    Thanks

Maybe they can come up with the "Indy Car of Tomorrow"?

Oh the heck with that, there's already one group that races stickers.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC funkietowne's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierRon View Post
    Why can't Dallara and Panoz compete?

The kmart car is a 1993 Lola with Nigel Mansell driving back when there was only 1 series. The current champ car chassis was designed specifically for champ car by panoz and is built more for roadcourses rather than the IRL dallara which is designed with oval racing in mind (crush zones, suspension setup, wing configuration, etc.). The engine champ car is currently using is quite similar to the one in Mansell's car pictured tuned to around 800hp whereas the IRL honda engine is around 600hp.

The whole open wheel racing thing is a big mess now and there has been talk of this every year since CART went bankrupt.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 camaro_freak's Avatar
    Thanks

Good move and about time... they better come together if they want to keep going.

Thanks

I don't see it happening for 2008. The cars are completely incompatible so the losers in this deal would be the Champ Car teams. Where would they get the money to buy the Indy car and even if they had the money,are any cars available? What about Ford? and Honda? 2009 at the earliest.
    1966 Corvair Corsa

Thanks
    My Ride
    16 Traverse LT/ 08 Malibu 2LT

This is something they should have been working on 4 months ago when it was clear many teams and top driver on both sides were leaving the sport.

This is the first year I have not renewed my seats to the Toronto Indy because the event has slowly gone down hill and my kids wanted to go to a NASCAR race. Only so many dollars to spend so we are heading to Michigan in August. Many of the top Champ Car, F1 and Indy Car drivers are there anyway.

Thanks
    My Ride
    16 Traverse LT/ 08 Malibu 2LT

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    I don't see it happening for 2008. The cars are completely incompatible so the losers in this deal would be the Champ Car teams. Where would they get the money to buy the Indy car and even if they had the money,are any cars available? What about Ford? and Honda? 2009 at the earliest.
    I agree. It's WAY too late. What they should do is work on a joint Indy 500 event and then a plan for 2009. That could build on hope and much better super series for the future!

Thanks

It would be nice if they allowed more than one type of car and engine to compete in the series. I think they would get more interest in open wheeled racing in the US if GM and Ford were involved.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dederer View Post
    It would be nice if they allowed more than one type of car and engine to compete in the series. I think they would get more interest in open wheeled racing in the US if GM and Ford were involved.
    Bring back the stock blocks!

Imagine a LS9 powering an open wheel racer...
    geozinger

95 Pontiac Sunfire GT (Quad4)
    97 Chevy Cavalier (245,000 miles & counting!)
    04 Pontiac Sunfire (Ecotec)
    09 Pontiac G6 Sedan (Ecotec & 6 speed)

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information