Beneath them: Mercedes shuns V8 Supercars entry

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beneath them: Mercedes shuns V8 Supercars entry

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member JoeT's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2003 Holden Monaro CV8

Beneath them: Mercedes shuns V8 Supercars entry

Mercedes shuns V8 Supercars

Peter McKay
    8 August 2012
    www.drive.com.au

Mercedes-Benz has declared it won’t be joining Holden, Ford and Nissan in the long-running V8 Supercar championship, ending months of nagging speculation that the German luxury car maker would be the fourth brand to enter the race series.

The announcement has V8 Supercars scrambling to add a fourth manufacturer - as pledged by chairman Tony Cochrane earlier this year - to the two-make series that will in 2013 welcome the return of Nissan to local touring car racing.

Cochrane and Car of the Future boss Mark Skaife headed a four-man deputation which pitched its case to Mercedes-Benz Australia executives on Monday.

But Mercedes-Benz Australia decided swiftly that it would not be racing in V8 Supercars, dealing a major blow to the series that has for almost two decades relied on Ford and Holden.

While V8 Supercars claims the sport is more successful than any form of Australian motor sport before it, the Holden Commodore and Ford Falcon that have formed the basis of the purpose-built racing machines have suffered plummeting sales.

Between 1998 and 2011 sales of the Falcon dropped almost 73 per cent and Commodore more than 57 per cent. In the same time the new-car market has grown almost 26 per cent. And so far this year Falcon sales have nosedived another 29 per cent and Commodore sales 26 per cent.

Mercedes-Benz Australia senior manager of corporate communications David McCarthy confirmed that approaches have been made in the past for Mercedes-Benz to field a factory team in V8 Supercars under the 2013 Car of the Future rules, which were intended to encourage new participants.

In a statement provided to Fairfax, McCarthy said: “Our position is that we will not be fielding a factory team in V8 Supercars under the Car of the Future rules.”

Drive understands that this recent proposal for Mercedes-Benz to join the series was initiated by local race team Erebus which already fields SLS GT3 cars in the Australian GT championship. The Stone Brothers V8 Supercar team was also associated with the proposal, although McCarthy said no-one from Mercedes-Benz Australia had spoken directly with the Stones.

McCarthy said the discussions with V8 Supercars were based on AMG supplying engines and technical assistance to the mooted Erebus-Stone Brothers V8 Supercars entry via the AMG Customer Sports programme.

“Mercedes-Benz has thoroughly investigated this possibility and after serious consideration the company has resolved that we will not be proceeding with this as it is not a 'fit' with the Australian and New Zealand brand positioning.”

The Mercedes rebuff comes in a bad week for Tony Cochrane and V8 Supercars. Yesterday motorcycle world champion Casey Stoner dismissed speculation that he would race in the series in 2013. And the man who helped push through the controversial, taxpayer-funded Homebush V8 street race, disgraced former Labor minister Ian Macdonald, is back on the front pages with the Independent Commission Against Corruption starting its enquiry into the ex-politician’s alleged abuse of his government position to do favours for mates.

Skaife agreed that V8SA had put a serious proposal to Mercedes-Benz Australia and was disappointed with its decision not to join the series.

“Mercedes is not the only manufacturer we’re talking to,” Skaife said, when asked if Mercedes was the much-speculated fourth manufacturer expected to race in V8 Supercars next year.

Skaife said any fresh entry by a car maker was now extremely “time critical” due to the complex testing required to ensure performance parity with existing brands. “We have to allow time for a new manufacturer or team to build their Car of the Future, and offer it to V8SA for the exhausting and scientific parity testing of aerodynamics and engine.”

Performance parity is a crucial element to V8 Supercars, which Skaife says has a philosophy of “giving its brands an opportunity to win, but they can’t dominate”.

Skaife said he believed the end of this month was the cut-off point for a new manufacturer looking to being part of the series in 2013.

Click here to continue article

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Re: Beneath them: Mercedes shuns V8 Supercars entry

Typical German behavior but they are all too happy to take your Aussie dollars back to the fatherland. Hold on tight to your Holden's boys.
    From the office of the Burnout Czar.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Suziebob's Avatar
    Thanks

Figures. The German automakers won't compete anywhere that they can't spend their opponents into oblivion.
    "When one side only of a story is heard and often repeated, the human mind becomes impressed with it insensibly."
    -George Washington

"You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do."
    -Henry Ford

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member NoStopN's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,451 Times in 1,434 Posts
    My Ride
    19 Ram, 69 GMC, 04 Alero

Interesting to see Nissan campaigning an Altima-bodied racecar.
    Hidden Content

I love you, Dad. 8/25/57-3/28/11

Hidden Content

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,605 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

I suspect that Hyundai or Kia will be next

Toyota probably not i think they looked at it once before and for cultural reasons backed away

V8SC is a great sport ranked 3rd in the country behind the major football codes in attendance

The management has high hopes of making it a truly international sport which could happen if the Texas round is a roaring success
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Suziebob View Post
    Figures. The German automakers won't compete anywhere that they can't spend their opponents into oblivion.
    Mercedes doesnt really do much motorsport anyway

No loss they would be too embaresed by being beaten by "lowly" Fords ,Hodens and Nissans

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Suziebob's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VS Ute 5Litre View Post
    Mercedes doesnt really do much motorsport anyway

No loss they would be too embaresed by being beaten by "lowly" Fords ,Hodens and Nissans
    Like I say, they'd only do it if they could come in and buy the best teams and then outspend everyone else in R&D and have their cars making 4,000 percent more down force than everyone else.

Then again I'm pretty sure that if GM were willing to spend the money they could probably help Holden out engineer the best Mercedes could throw at them, anyway.
    "When one side only of a story is heard and often repeated, the human mind becomes impressed with it insensibly."
    -George Washington

"You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do."
    -Henry Ford

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Suziebob View Post
    Like I say, they'd only do it if they could come in and buy the best teams and then outspend everyone else in R&D and have their cars making 4,000 percent more down force than everyone else.

Then again I'm pretty sure that if GM were willing to spend the money they could probably help Holden out engineer the best Mercedes could throw at them, anyway.
    The cars are all teh same bar money spent on parts they can still engineer themselves

You see the top teams making their own stuff inside the parameters of V8SC which is very strict

888 racing used to dominate when they used Fords they still dominate now they use Holdens for example - if Mercedes wanted to dominate V8SC they would have to buy a top team like what Nissan are doing with Kelly racing

Not saying they will win every round but they will be very competitive

Thanks

Where in the article does it say Mercedes said it is 'beneath them'?

Holden doesnt compete in the European Touring Car Championships, and i dont hear anyone in Europe saying it is because it is 'beneath them'.

I dare say if Mercedes wanted to they would, and maybe clean up, but then they would probably be banned like Nissan was when their GTR was too good for Holden and Ford back in 1992.

Sounds like a beat up to me.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by V-Car View Post

Holden doesnt compete in the European Touring Car Championships, and i dont hear anyone in Europe saying it is because it is 'beneath them'.

I dare say if Mercedes wanted to they would, and maybe clean up, but then they would probably be banned like Nissan was when their GTR was too good for Holden and Ford back in 1992.

Nissan GTR was never "banned"

Group A as a format was dropped because all the manufacturers and teams found it was too expensive

Thats was a decision made elsewhere

What Australia did was make a series the fans wanted to see that didnt require truckloads of money and a limited run of 500 cars to qualify

The UK and Europe have their own series that never caught on here as it wasnt relevent

Germany used a similar route to Australias V8SC with DTM but again this was too expensive

BTW i still have my "I'm an arsehole Jim Richards said so " T shirt

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks

Mercedese doesnt really NEED to be in V8 Super Car Racing, They Already have the C-Class Coupe and Sedan in other forms of Racing but it would be cool to see the E Class racing. Maybe Infinity (Or Nissan i guess) would be Next.

I found this online hehe... (not real)

Last edited by 69gtsdart; 08-09-2012 at 02:07 AM.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2005 SV6 Manual, Impulse Blue

With all the rumours I never expected Mercedes to be serious I would have thought Chrysler more likely. However in saying that Mercedes Australia has no direct say even if they wanted to go racing all must be decided at Head Office. Merc Australia did however say that if a team wanted to run Mercedes bodywork in COTF guise that they may be able to do so pending approval from Germany but it would not be factory backed except in the fact engines and technical info may be provided but a team would have to basically go it alone. Pending the OK from Europe. Source was last weeks Auto Action Magazine
    Quote Originally Posted by V-Car View Post

Well actually Holden are serving up some euro tin top action via the Chevrolet badged Lumina CR8 (HSV) run by Solaris Motorsport. In the SuperStars Series against BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, Maserati, Audi and Chrysler.
    Standing 7th Overall after six rounds with 32 competitors. So whilst not in top 3 still not a bad effort for a GM product. You'll see a familiar looking shape at the 44 second mark

Thanks

I would have been surprised if they did participate in the V8SC series. They would get very limited marketing potential out of it because, like it or not, the audience is hardly that of which Mercedes would like to purchase its cars. In fact I'd say that competing would have been counter productive to their marketing demographic.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2005 SV6 Manual, Impulse Blue

I'd like to see The Chrysler group bring the dodge charger here and then go racing with that more so than the 300 however Nissan have commited with the Altima being there product of choice running a 5 litre V8 sourced from one of the 4x4's models they have in their stable. The engine is currently being tested in the Kelly brothers facilities and getting it right whilst assembling the Chassis and attaching the body pieces sourced from the US. ( apparently they shut down manufacturing to facilitate the pressing of all the bits required a couple months ago. with about 20 crates of bits and pieces arriving early last month I read somewhere. (Auto action Magazine) from memory.
    Quote Originally Posted by 69gtsdart View Post
    Mercedese doesnt really NEED to be in V8 Super Car Racing, They Already have the C-Class Coupe and Sedan in other forms of Racing but it would be cool to see the E Class racing. Maybe Infinity (Or Nissan i guess) would be Next.

I found this online hehe... (not real)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member BigAls87Z28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I did read that Chevrolet will use the VF Commodore/ Chevy SS in some Euro racing series. Can't find the article at the moment though.
    Alexander Villani
    GMInsideNews Writer/Editor

Have some news?
    Email Me: Hidden Content
    Follow me on twitter: @AlexVGMI

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information