April Fooled: NASCAR Hoax Causes Web Frenzy

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: April Fooled: NASCAR Hoax Causes Web Frenzy

GMI Contributor Premium Member Ming's Avatar
    Thanks

by Claudine Zap
    April 1, 2009
    The Buzz Log

Sure, April Fools' Day comes but once a year, and some silly stories have been making the rounds. (Stairmasters in the NYC subway? Brad and Angelina married? Really? No.) But one thing is now clear: Keep the jokes away from NASCAR.

All Car and Driver magazine tried to do was drive a little levity into the auto industry bailout with a prank. The serious publication ran a joke story that announced that Obama had ordered Chevrolet and Dodge out of NASCAR if they wanted to keep their federal funds. For a brief web-fueled moment, NASCAR fans had to imagine a future of cheering on Japanese cars. Or worse, French ones. The horror.

Immediately, the Internet went crazy, with searches on "obama nascar" accelerating in Search and zooming across Twitter. Although the story was clearly marked a hoax, Car and Driver eventually pulled the fake story and apologized for going "too far."

Not to worry, NASCAR fans: Nobody's pulling out of NASCAR. Yet. As Automobile magazine's blog noted nervously, "Let's just hope that the auto task force doesn't read this and get any ideas."

http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/92422

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 645 Posts

Re: April Fooled: NASCAR Hoax Causes Web Frenzy

There's several articles about this all over the news. It was bigger than I thought it would be.

Car and Driver did a good job, if you ask me. The sad part is that it's too easy to believe.

Can you imagine someone from the White House standing over someone's shoulders at GM about their spending habits?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 goblue's Avatar
    Thanks

No - the sad part is it would be completely appropriate for GM to pull out. NASCAR vs Alpha Cadillac. Tough call. There is more than enough money from the last 4 years of GM NASCAR money to fund a new platform.

Why GM is wasting money on this is beyond me. They learn nothing technologically from it. The cars are so standardized the manufacturer has nothing to do with it.

Also, I'm not convinced they sell more cars because of it. If you're stupid enough to buy a Dodge simply because it won the day before - then you probably can't afford a new car anyway!
    Last edited by goblue; 04-01-2009 at 11:00 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

I seen this one coming from a mile away...............

I see the reason for nascar support, its no more to support "a brand/brand name" (engines only have small differences between makes) and as happens chevrolet and dodge are so deeply rooted in nascar, nascar is dead without it (realistically).

As far as a manufacturing standpoint it is merely nothing more then a moot point. In which I still advocate "race on sunday, sell on monday" which to a extent is represented in grand am/lemans...its been beat like a dead horse, as if GM returns to the black, GM should funnel in more support/$$$.
    Last edited by FireFox89; 04-01-2009 at 11:14 PM.
    Hidden Content

Rocket88 - "There is a fine line between paying for exclusivity and paying for stupidity."...

Autoblog - In response to luxury cars not optioned with dipsticks anymore...
    - "so, does this also mean the death of turn signals? People dont use them either."Hidden Content

News Contributor Premium Member V8GMT360 Guy's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    08 Sierra A/T, 09 Envoy Denali

Quote Originally Posted by Ming View Post
    [B]Not to worry, NASCAR fans: Nobody's pulling out of NASCAR. Yet. As Automobile magazine's blog noted nervously, "Let's just hope that the auto task force doesn't read this and get any ideas."
    Not going to happen. If nothing else, NASCAR is too good of a marketing tool for automakers, parts suppliers, and other members of the retail sector.

Even though the Chevy no longer looks like a Chevy going around the big oval, the nameplates and badges are still there staring everyone in the face.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet Silverado LT 4x

Well, I was april fooled!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Im glad that did that prank lol.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Holden Ute, 73 Caprice Convert

If I was running NASCAR, I'd still take it seriously

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member sigma's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goblue View Post
    No - the sad part is it would be completely appropriate for GM to pull out. NASCAR vs Alpha Cadillac. Tough call. There is more than enough money from the last 4 years of GM NASCAR money to fund a new platform.

Why GM is wasting money on this is beyond me. They learn nothing technologically from it. The cars are so standardized the manufacturer has nothing to do with it.

Also, I'm not convinced they sell more cars because of it. If you're stupid enough to buy a Dodge simply because it won the day before - then you probably can't afford a new car anyway!
    That money could mean another 250 million in advertising to get the Malibu another 40k sales a year. That money could mean a better interior in the Cobalt. That money could mean many things. But this we know, as long as it's spent on NASCAR it's being spent on something that means and ultimately does nothing for anyone involved except for NASCAR.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sigma View Post
    That money could mean another 250 million in advertising to get the Malibu another 40k sales a year. That money could mean a better interior in the Cobalt. That money could mean many things. But this we know, as long as it's spent on NASCAR it's being spent on something that means and ultimately does nothing for anyone involved except for NASCAR.
    Wrong. NASCAR may be a redneck **** sport that can only be tolerated in tiny doses, but it is a sales booster. Do you think Toyota joined for no benefit? It doesn't matter that the cars are no more stock than Paris Hiltons chest, but it will absolutely COST sales to remove them. In the end, $250M a year is irrelevant when you are losing 10 billion. The cost to lose NASCAR will be much more than that.

I can't stand HillbillyCAR, but I can understand basic marketing strategies, and it would be stupid to get out of it.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member paul8488's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,403 Posts
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

Man, people are crybabies! I just read on Yahoo that Car and Driver has 'apologized'!!! What the hell for? It's an April Fool's Day joke! Are Nascar fans really THAT sensitive??! I think that it was a good idea to lighten the mood a bit with respect to the auto industry. It's so silly that they have to apologize for a thing like this.
    Automotive stories and pictures for the rest of us:

Hidden Content

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member sigma's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by logansowner View Post
    Wrong. NASCAR may be a redneck **** sport that can only be tolerated in tiny doses, but it is a sales booster. Do you think Toyota joined for no benefit? It doesn't matter that the cars are no more stock than Paris Hiltons chest, but it will absolutely COST sales to remove them. In the end, $250M a year is irrelevant when you are losing 10 billion. The cost to lose NASCAR will be much more than that.

I can't stand HillbillyCAR, but I can understand basic marketing strategies, and it would be stupid to get out of it.
    Toyota is trying to penetrate that market. It's the last part of the country they haven't conquered. It does next to nothing or absolutely nothing for sales from the demographics GM needs to get. Thus it is a wasted expenditure.

6.0 Liter L76 V8 Premium Member jbernie's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Chevrolet Volt

They failed on the April Fool part as they came up with something which was too believable and thus shot themselves in the foot. They would have been better of going with something like:

"NASCAR mandates that all cars from 2010 must have have working indicators & tail lights" and that "failure to indicate intentions to pit or pass will see one lap penalties"

or

"Starting with the July Daytona race all cars must have pink as their primary color and there will need to be at least 15 lime green polka dots not less than 5 inches in diameter on the car"

When the economy is down and people are out of work, taking away a major form of their entertainment is not too humorous. You need to go with silly stuff, not serious quite possibly true news reports.

They were also setting lows by showing the #3 as a Hyundi, as Isaid in the other thread, that was really in bad taste and they should have at least used the #7 as Robby Gordon has driven for all active manufacturers in about the last 3 years, hell he was a Dodge for the Daytona duel races and a Toyota for the Daytona 500.
    Talk is cheap, sometimes it is on sale.

Thanks

I still wish it wasn't an April Fool's joke.

Any racing based on production platforms, where new technologies can be tested, is wonderful. NASCAR's generic plastic shells with decals for headlights and a grille bear no relation to any actual product.

Give me the "good ol' days" of actual stock car races:

GMI Contributor Premium Member Ming's Avatar
    Thanks

I've said it before, but I think Chevy, Cadillac, etc. should sponsor a few cars, maybe even a race or two when they are financially sound, but while logansowner and others are right that it can be a good marketing tool, it is also a good marketing tool for Home Depot, UPS, etc. just with their names prominently displayed on the hood of a winning car.

So have "Chevy" plastered all over a car, and even "Chevy Impala" if you like, but keep it on the hood, the sides, all places the advertisers use. The other behind the scenes efforts with the car and engine have become so out of touch with GM's showroom cars that it has no impact from that angle anymore.

If no one really believes it is a Camry out there racing with a V8 and rear wheel drive, why not just have a huge "T" on the hood of a winning race car instead? Heck, sponsor 2 or 3 winning racers. Thing is, of course, you'd need to convince NASCAR to go 100% generic from the 90% they are at now because having "Chevy Traverse" on the hood of a "Ford" race car might not fly.

If there ever was a sign that badging a generic car as something that it is not was pointless as a "sell on Monday" strategy, the Camry is it. Home Depot gets more advertising mileage out of this car than Toyota by far, I'd wager.

Last edited by Ming; 04-02-2009 at 06:11 AM.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information