Amidst the Pontiac death rumors, Pontiac sweeps Rolex Sports Car Series

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Amidst the Pontiac death rumors, Pontiac sweeps Rolex Sports Car Series

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC BurninrubberGT's Avatar
    Thanks

Amidst the Pontiac death rumors, Pontiac sweeps Rolex Sports Car Series

DANVILLE, Va. (April 25, 2009) - Alex Gurney took the lead on a four-wide pass on lap 65, and then held off Michael Valiante in a sprint to the finish to capture the Bosch Engineering 250 at Virginia International Raceway, Round 2 of the Grand-Am Rolex Sports Car Series presented by Crown Royal Cask No. 16.

The GT race also came down to the wire, with Robin Liddell holding off Paul Edwards by .107 seconds to give the No. 57 Stevenson Automotive Pontiac GXP.R started by Andrew Davis its second straight VIR victory. Edwards shared the No. 07 Banner Racing Pontiac GXP.R. with defending GT co-champion Kelly Collins.
    It was the ninth victory for Gurney and Jon Fogarty in the No. 99 GAINSCO/Bob Stallings Racing Pontiac Riley, in their 40th start driving together dating back to 2006 at VIR.

Gurney led the final 17 circuits, winning by .705 seconds over Valiante, who was co-driving the No. 6 Michael Shank Racing Ford Riley started by John Pew. Darren Law and David Donohue, winners of the season-opening Rolex 24 At Daytona, finished third in the No. 58 Brumos Racing Porsche Riley.

Valiante and Scott Pruett - in the No. 01 TELMEX Chip Ganassi Racing Lexus Riley -- pressured Gurney throughout the closing laps, although all three cars were unsure of having enough fuel to compete the two hour, 45 minute distance on the challenging 3.27-mile circuit. With 12 minutes remaining, Andy Wallace went off course in the No. 2 Gentleman Jack's Childress-Howard Motorsports Pontiac Crawford to bring out the fourth caution of the event.

That resulted in a three-lap sprint to the finish, with Gurney trying to hold off Valiante, Pruett, Donohue and Max Angelelli, who was driving the No. 10 SunTrust Racing Ford Dallara. Donohue, Pruett and Angelelli made contact, with Angelelli going off course. Gurney then held off Valiante over the final two laps to take the victory.

"It was a great day," said Gurney, who shared the 2007 Daytona Prototype championship with Fogarty. "This is where we always aim to be. Our guys did some great work over the off season, and did a lot of work after Daytona. We really made some big improvements. It was a typical Grand-Am race - really tough - and I was happy to be up there and winning. It was a great race for Michael Valiante. It was just an unlucky deal for him - I've been sitting in that position before."

http://www.grand-am.com/rolex/news/index.cfm?cid=21683
    Last edited by BurninrubberGT; 04-27-2009 at 11:36 AM.
    2004 Pontiac GTO m6
    Proven On National Track In Annihilating Competition

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Amist the Pontiac death rumors, Pontiac sweeps Rolex Sports Car Series

Rolex is a watch, Grand Am is a cheap commuter car. I can't see anything that will turn on a GM customer here. Screw Pontiac, like GM already has, and forget this ancient history of racing and GM products.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rcworker View Post
    Rolex is a watch, Grand Am is a cheap commuter car. I can't see anything that will turn on a GM customer here. Screw Pontiac, like GM already has, and forget this ancient history of racing and GM products.
    They aren't racing Grand Am's in this series...

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rcworker View Post
    you are an idiot
    2004 Pontiac GTO m6

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Everyone that I know really didn't know what a Pontiac was however when they see my car and get in my car they all love it. They really enjoy driving my car as well, Pontiac has a lot of currency with the brand if only GM used it by making products that are worth it for consumers.

Ive driven the last generation Chevy Impala and Ive driven the current Generation of Chevy Impala and none of them drive anything like my 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. There is a good reason for this, the Impala is tuned more as a family sedan so it has a softer suspension and even my friend who drives a Nissan Altima actually told me that my Grand Prix (completely stock) drives similar to his Mustang GT and handles better then his current car the Nissan.

Pontiac is not dead...... just sleeping but cars like the G8 are waking the brand up as its sales are now up even in this super down market.

Thanks
    My Ride
    16 Traverse LT/ 08 Malibu 2LT

Pontiacs have been strong since entering the series.

Don't kill Pontiac!!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Xenon's Avatar
    Thanks

Problem is that most of the Pontiac race cars are nowhere near what is offered in the store (The G6 they race is RWD with a V8). I still think that Pontiac is a big failure of a brand.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Xenon's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 63GrandSport001 View Post
    Pontiac is not dead...... just sleeping but cars like the G8 are waking the brand up as its sales are now up even in this super down market.
    If so then Pontiac has been asleep for a while. Besides, how can Pontiac call itself a Performance brand when none of its cars are that much better performers than the competition. Come on the G6 and Grand Prix gets its ass handed to it by a V6 Camry, and all the performers , save for the G8 are all Chevys.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    If so then Pontiac has been asleep for a while. Besides, how can Pontiac call itself a Performance brand when none of its cars are that much better performers than the competition. Come on the G6 and Grand Prix gets its ass handed to it by a V6 Camry, and all the performers , save for the G8 are all Chevys.
    like the solstice.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Cadillac ATS 2017 Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    Problem is that most of the Pontiac race cars are nowhere near what is offered in the store (The G6 they race is RWD with a V8). I still think that Pontiac is a big failure of a brand.
    That's just the due to rules of this lame series. The GT cars are mainly tube frame cars.......how can that promote a brand ??? That is part of what makes NASCAR irrelevent word wide. The previous GTO was a winner in this series too. In fact it was so good, it was penalized to death.

The worth while series are the Speed World Challenge [CTS-V] and the ALMS/FIA GT series [C6R and GT3 ZO6R].

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JerryL View Post
    That's just the due to rules of this lame series. The GT cars are mainly tube frame cars.......how can that promote a brand ??? That is part of what makes NASCAR irrelevent word wide. The previous GTO was a winner in this series too. In fact it was so good, it was penalized to death.

The worth while series are the Speed World Challenge [CTS-V] and the ALMS/FIA GT series [C6R and GT3 ZO6R].

While I thoroughly enjoy both Speed WC and ALMS, their cars are not as similar as you might think. The CTS-V's unibody has been 'lowered', as in a 4-5 inch chunk has been cut out of the cars height from the center of the unibody (like taking a slice of bread out of a stack), the transmission turned towards the driver, and the driver sitting quite low. The only pieces the same on the C6 and C6.R are the windshield, floor pan, and taillights. The Z06.R, however, does share more components with the actual Z06/C6.

That said, ALMS and Speed WC racing is great. A wide variety of cars and drivers, and almost always interesting races.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 LeSabre's Avatar
    Thanks

How ironic!

!!
    IF It's A Chevrolet & RWD, Don't ride in it!!!

ALL Chevy's NEED to be FWD/F-AWD!!!

If it's a Toyota/Lexus/Scion, Don't ride in/drive it!!

__________________________________________________ __

Thanks

I think you mean 'amidst'

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ByTheLake View Post
    I think you mean 'amidst'
    wow yup, typo haha

i guess this will be pontiacs last year in rolex now with death of pontiac official, its a shame pontiac has been dominant in this series for years, even with all the penalties they get they still win.
    2004 Pontiac GTO m6

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information