Vauxhall Ellesmere Port celebrates 5,000,000 cars and 50 years

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Vauxhall Ellesmere Port celebrates 5,000,000 cars and 50 years

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,488 Times in 1,882 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Vauxhall Ellesmere Port celebrates 5,000,000 cars and 50 years

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/in...ellesmere-port

Vauxhall has today celebrated the five millionth car to be made at its Ellesmere Port factory.

The Luton-based manufacturer began producing cars at the site in 1964, with notable models made at the site including the original Viva, the Chevette and all six generations of the Astra.

Currently the plant's 1800-strong workforce helps to produce a new car every two minutes. Total annual output over the past 50 years has stood at an average of 100,000 units.

The plant is currently gearing up to produce the new Astra, which is scheduled to come to market at the end of next year. Production of the new model was awarded to the factory earlier this yea, and is due to begin in August 2015.

An additional 300 staff are being taken on at the site to cope with demand, while parent company GM is investing £140 million to secure the factory's future into the middle of the next decade.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruperts Trooper For This Useful Post:

RedVee8 (12-10-2014)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Vauxhall Ellesmere Port celebrates 5,000,000 cars and 50 years

I believe I owned a car built at that plant, a 1969 Envoy Epic(Vauxhall Viva). They were very popular here in Canada and competed sales wise, with the VW.
    1966 Corvair Corsa

Thanks
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    I believe I owned a car built at that plant, a 1969 Envoy Epic(Vauxhall Viva). They were very popular here in Canada and competed sales wise, with the VW.
    In about 1966, I went on a school trip round Vauxhall's main plant at Luton and the Epics were being built there - I've no idea if they were built at Ellesmere Port as well.

Wikipedia doesn't list the Envoy Epic as being built at Ellesmere Port but does list LHD Opel versions built there from 1980 and still being built there alongside the RHD Vauxhalls.

Under Wikipedia's entry for Vauxhall Luton, it lists the Vauxhall Envoy as being the LHD version of the Victor and the Vauxhall Epic as the LHD version of the Vauxhall Viva

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Thank you for bringing me up to date on "Epic" production. There were three Envoy models sold in Canada during the 1960s. The Epic was the smallest followed by the Victor equivalent and then the largest, the Viscount or something similar to that in name. The big models were quite luxurious.
    Last edited by bone; 12-09-2014 at 03:56 PM.
    1966 Corvair Corsa

Thanks
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Thank you for bringing me up to date on "Epic" production. There were three Envoy models sold in Canada during the 1960s. The Epic was the smallest followed by the Victor equivalent and then the largest, the Viscount or something similar to that in name. The big models were quite luxurious.
    More digging shows that the Luton-built Victor was sold in Canada as two models - the Vauxhall Victor, sold through Pontiac/Buick dealers - and the Envoy, sold through Chevrolet/Oldsmobile dealers - but was it sold as "Envoy Victor" or just "Envoy" ?

The Viscount was the posh version of the Cresta - some of the South African versions used a Chrysler V8!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 RedVee8's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 VF Calais "Heron White"

Quote Originally Posted by Ruperts Trooper View Post
    More digging shows that the Luton-built Victor was sold in Canada as two models - the Vauxhall Victor, sold through Pontiac/Buick dealers - and the Envoy, sold through Chevrolet/Oldsmobile dealers - but was it sold as "Envoy Victor" or just "Envoy" ?

The Viscount was the posh version of the Cresta - some of the South African versions used a Chrysler V8!
    That's just weird, you'd think they'd gave put a 327 in there
    Current Holdens.
    VH Commodore Vacationer 253 V8; AH Astra CDX 1.8; VF Calais 3.6V6
    plus U12 Nissan Pintara SuperHatch.
    Previous Holdens.
    69 HT Kingswood 186; 75 HJ Premier 202; 77 TC Gemini; 85 JD Camira SL/E 1.8i; CG06 Captiva LX 3.2V6, CG09 Captiva LX 3.2V6, 2012 VEII Commodore SV6 3.6sidi.

Keep Holden On.

Hidden Content
    St George Illawarra, Ibanez AEB10E-BK, Feider PBass, Challenger Bass
    4StringsGood

Thanks
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by RedVee8 View Post
    That's just weird, you'd think they'd gave put a 327 in there
    There have been some strange engine choices over the years - during the time of Rootes Group the Sunbeam Alpine had a Ford 260/289 squeezed in by Shelby, to create the Sunbeam Tiger but when Chrysler took over Rootes, they cancelled the Tiger as they wouldn't use a competitors engine and they didn't have a physically small enough V8 of their own.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information