Vauxhall Corsa fires: 'Answers needed', say customers

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Vauxhall Corsa fires: 'Answers needed', say customers

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Vauxhall Corsa fires: 'Answers needed', say customers

BBC NEWS...

Car manufacturer Vauxhall is facing calls to explain why it has not taken action over claims some of its Corsa models have burst into flames.
    The company was forced to recall 220,000 Zafira B cars in 2015 following a series of fires.

An investigation by the BBC's Watchdog programme now indicates there have also been fires in some Corsa Ds.
    Vauxhall said it needs the permission of the insurance company before it can inspect a vehicle
    The D is the fourth generation of Corsa and was made between 2006 and 2014. About 700,000 have been sold in the UK.
    In April 2016 Vauxhall did identify a fault with the braking system in some Corsa Ds. The fault meant water could get in, upset the electrics and cause a fire.

Seven Vauxhall customers have contacted Watchdog about their cars catching fire. Of those, three fell under recall, and four did not.
    Steve Cachia, from Wolverhampton, got in touch with the BBC after his 2013 Corsa D burst into flames on his driveway.

"It started off with a little flicker," Mr Cachia said. "But within six or seven minutes" the whole car was engulfed, he added.
    "I was expecting a bang, an explosion. I think we were lucky in respect that we were all sort of up and about.

"If that had happened in the middle of the night that would have been a very different story," he said.
    The fire service suspected the cause might have been an electrical fault near the glove box.

Mr Cachia's car was one of those later recalled by Vauxhall, and he also received an apology and the promise of "full compensation".

Explosion fear
    A similar cause of fire was suspected in the case of Luana Scopel.
    She and her partner were asleep at their home near Leeds when neighbours woke them because the car on their driveway was on fire. Again, the fire service suspected an electrical fault near the glove box may have been to blame.

"The flames were as high as the second floor window. And everything was orange," said Ms Scopel.
    "We had cats and I was just desperate to get the cats because I thought there was a fire in the front of the car. I thought it would soon hit the petrol tank and blow up.

"The fire was blocking the front door, so we had to leave through the window. It was very scary."

Adrienne Boxhall said she told Vauxhall about her Corsa D fire in August 2015 but they "were not interested".
    She said she "just wants answers".

Vauxhall said it would only get involved if the insurer found forensic evidence of a manufacturing defect. Because Ms Boxhall's insurer simply paid the claim with no investigation, no evidence was presented to Vauxhall, so the company did not investigate.

That does not satisfy Ms Boxhall.
    "I want to know why my car went on fire in the middle of the night. I'm not getting any answers," she told the BBC.

In a statement to the BBC, Vauxhall said: "Customer safety is of the utmost importance and we take any report of fire very seriously.
    "Fires can occur for a wide variety of reasons and it's worth noting that, on average, there are 18,000 vehicle fires a year across all manufacturers in the UK. It is estimated that there are about 35 million vehicles registered in the UK.

"Vauxhall Corsa D is one of our most popular models, with over 700,000 sold in the UK between 2006 and 2014. Earlier this year we identified a potential fire related issue with a specific Corsa D variant equipped with the 1.4 Turbo petrol engine.

"Nine cases had previously been reported to us, which we investigated. Two of these cases had resulted in a fire. A Safety Recall to address this issue was initiated in April 2016 for the 2,767 vehicles affected.
    "When customers report a fire to us we explain that an inspection may be necessary but that we need the permission of their insurance company before we can proceed. This avoids the risk of the customer's insurance policy being invalidated.

"Our preference is to conduct a joint investigation with the customer's insurer but for a variety of reasons this is not always possible. For example, in some cases the insurance company has already conducted an investigation. In other cases the vehicle may have already been scrapped".

Watchdog is broadcast on BBC One at 20:00 GMT on Wednesdays. You can also watch afterwards on BBC iPlayer.

LINK

I hope GM nips this in the bud, before it becomes an expensive recall.
    Last edited by Oldsmobile stopped; 11-02-2016 at 05:31 AM.
    OLDSMOBILE - "Start Something"

100 MPG Chevrolet Silverado E-REV - Fleets only still waiting.
    Hidden Content
    Cut the dependance on Arab oil, cut the trade deficit in foreign oil.

Life is to short - drive live your dream

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information