Upward Trend Continues for Opel: European Sales up by 15 Percent in February

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upward Trend Continues for Opel: European Sales up by 15 Percent in February

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member Toto's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Opel Corsa GSI

Upward Trend Continues for Opel: European Sales up by 15 Percent in February

Opel Media Online
    2016-03-08

- Highest European February sales and market share since 2011
    - Opel outgrows overall market significantly
    - Volume increases in 17 markets

Rüsselsheim. Opel has carried on where it left off in January by continuing its upward trend across Europe in February. Preliminary figures show new registrations of around 80,300 vehicles – an increase of 15 percent or around 10,500 units compared to the same month of 2015. Opel’s market share was up by around 0.3 percentage points to 5.6 percent. The company therefore recorded it best February sales figures and market share for five years.

Opel’s overall results for the first two months of 2016 are also positive. Sales were up by around 18,000 units or almost 13 percent, meaning that the brand grew more than twice as strong as the overall market. The Rüsselsheim-based carmaker managed to increase its market share by more than 0.3 percentage points to around 5.7 in this period, giving it its highest sales figures and market share for the two first months of the year since 2011.

“We grew in 17 markets thanks to our young and attractive portfolio. The new Astra was key for our success. The Astra Sports Tourer, available at dealers from April, and the new Mokka X will continue to drive our business after a strong start into the year,” said Peter Christian Küspert, Vice President Sales & Aftersales Opel Group.

Opel’s strong growth in February is mainly based on the demand for the new Astra. The Astra, whose current generation only made its market debut in most European countries in November, was sold over 18,000 times in February. An increase of around one third. Across Europe Opel has already received over 130,000 orders for the European “Car of the Year 2016”. The Opel Corsa was also key to the company’s success with sales increasing by around 12 percent to 20,400 units in February.

Opel’s new registrations were up in 17 European markets in February, including the four large western European markets Germany (+27%), Italy (+24%), France (+23%) and Spain (+23%). Elsewhere, the brand with the Blitz also increased its market share in
    16 European markets.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Toto For This Useful Post:

Butz (03-08-2016),dannyg (03-08-2016),GM Insider News (03-08-2016),Uligar (03-10-2016)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,657 Times in 3,704 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Re: Upward Trend Continues for Opel: European Sales up by 15 Percent in February

They will be in the black this year it seems, which would be huge

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

chevypowa670 (03-08-2016),GM Insider News (03-08-2016),johnstarnes (03-08-2016)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member BBDOS CV8's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Holden Monaro (Barbados)

Re: Upward Trend Continues for Opel: European Sales up by 15 Percent in February

Overall Europe was up 14%. These figures are good in themselves, but should be taken with a grain of salt given they're driven by a new Astra model. At 5.6% of the market Opel is still a minnow - and a rising tide lifts all boats when Italy was up 27% and most other western European nations by solid double digits.

Mercedes was up 14.5% in Europe and 18.6% in Germany alone along with records in Asia-Pacific, China, America and delivered the most cars in many markets and globally for a February.

http://media.daimler.com/dcmedia/0-9...=1457383656311

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ausrutherford's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Focus

However, UK sales collapsed...
    Have sales for GM not seen in Hidden Content ? Hidden Content

Go Tigers!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 965 Posts
    My Ride
    です

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ausrutherford View Post
    However, UK sales collapsed...
    Bwahaha! It might have to do with that Vauxhall brand that copies every Opel made! ������
    ---

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member Toto's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Opel Corsa GSI

Quote Originally Posted by BBDOS CV8 View Post
    Overall Europe was up 14%. These figures are good in themselves, but should be taken with a grain of salt given they're driven by a new Astra model. At 5.6% of the market Opel is still a minnow - and a rising tide lifts all boats when Italy was up 27% and most other western European nations by solid double digits.
    No, Opel isn't a minnow. Being #3 and outgrowing the market by double figures isn't that bad. Also Kudos to Ford for doing a great job, too.

NEW PASSENGER CAR REGISTRATIONS BY MANUFACTURER EU + EFTA (January 2016)

MARKET SHARE

VW Group 24.2%
    VW 11.7%
    Audi 5.7%
    Skoda 4.2%
    Seat 2.1%
    Porsche 0.4%
    Others 0%
    PSA Group 10.6%
    Peugeot 6.1%
    Citroen 4.0%
    DS 0.5%
    Renault Group 9.1%
    Renault 6.2%
    Dacia 2.9%
    Ford 7.1%
    FCA Group 6.8%
    Fiat 5.0%
    Jeep 0.7%
    Lancia/Chrysler 0.5%
    Alfa Romeo 0.4%
    Others 0.0%
    Opel Group 6.7%
    Opel/Vauxhall 6.7%
    Chevrolet 0.0%
    Other GM 0.0%
    BMW Group 5.9%
    BMW 4.9%
    Mini 1.0%
    Daimler 5.8%
    Mercedes 5.1%
    Smart 0.6%
    Toyota Group 4.8%
    Toyota 4.4%
    Lexus 0.3%
    Nissan 3.9%
    Hyundai 3.3%
    Kia 2.7%
    Volvo 1.8%
    Mazda 1.8%

Jaguar Land Rover Group 1.5%
    Land Rover 1.2%
    Jaguar 0.3%
    Suzuki 1.3%
    Honda 1.2%
    Mitsubishi 0.9%
    Others Japanese 0.3%

Mercedes was up 14.5% in Europe and 18.6% in Germany alone along with records in Asia-Pacific, China, America and delivered the most cars in many markets and globally for a February.

http://media.daimler.com/dcmedia/0-9...=1457383656311
    Another brand doing his homework and so did Opel. What's the problem here?

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toto For This Useful Post:

Butz (03-09-2016),jalberda (03-10-2016),Uligar (03-10-2016)

Thanks
    My Ride

I make Opel No. 6 on 6.7% on your list - I call a mainstream brand with less than 10% of the market a minnow. They're not much above 5% of the market.

I have no problem with Opel doing well - I wish them all the best; but with a new model Astra (biggest brand badge) a couple of months old and in a market just shifted into fast-forward in itself it's hardly reason to pop champagne corks.

Opel is outdoing Holden YTD by far, which not only isn't keeping pace with the market but is going backwards, bigtime. So it's outdoing it' antipodean brother. Like I said, it's good they're moving forward, but it's not as groundshaking as it appears.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BBDOS CV8 For This Useful Post:

jalberda (03-10-2016)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,488 Times in 1,882 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by Watchdevil View Post
    Bwahaha! It might have to do with that Vauxhall brand that copies every Opel made! ������
    Vauxhalls have been re-badged Opels for decades - but Vauxhall Ellesmere Port is the lead plant for Opel/Vauxhall/Holden/Buick Astra, building more LHD Opel than RHD Vauxhalls.

Vauxhall had no equivalent of the Opel GT as that was a rebadged Pontiac Solstice / Saturn Sky and being US-designed, had no RHD capability.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 648 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sonic

I make Opel No. 6 on 6.7% on your list - I call a mainstream brand with less than 10% of the market a minnow.
    So in your view the only brand in Europe that is NOT a "minnow" is VW (11.7%)? Or do you mean Group (PSA Group etc.)? As a *brand* Opel/Vauxhall outsold Peugeot, Fiat, Renault, Skoda, Toyota, etc. brands in Jan. Basically everything but monster VW. Not too bad.
    Current ride: 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8L 5sp manual sedan
    Previous ride: 1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2L 5sp manual
    Next ride, pre-pandemic: Maybe a 2021 2.0T CT4, weekend car, keep the Sonic as DD
    Next ride, post-pandemic: Keep driving the Sonic!

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Opel's dropped down the Italian Sales Chart and nearly all the other brands had bigger rise than Opel, Peugeot overtook with a much bigger 30% increase.

Italy February 2016 - Opel slips down 1 place from 5th to 6th place
    1 Fiat 36,573 + 34%
    2 Ford 12,662 +34%
    3 Volkswagen 12,609 +31%
    4 Renault 9,892 +18%
    5 Peugeot 9,817 +30%
    6 Opel 9,618 +26%
    7 Toyota 7,257 +25%
    8 Lancia 6,788 +30%
    9 Citroen 6,278 +37%
    10 Audi 6,209 +38%

Opel sales were up +26%, it sounds impressive, but its not all that, when you look at the bigger sale increases of other brand got.

The UK new car market is up a splendid 8% year-on-year in February

Vauxhall is down-18% or the Vauxhall Corsa (-15%) and Astra (-32%) disappointed. Vauxhall UK market share dropped from 12.41% to 9.55% that is a massive loss of market share.

I reserve my judgement until l see the ACEA numbers on Europe, Toto keeps posting odd countries here and there as European sales, and other brands to see to be getting higher increases than Opel in a growing market, apart from the UK where Opel group sales tanked lost huge market share.
    Last edited by Oldsmobile stopped; 03-09-2016 at 06:16 PM.
    OLDSMOBILE - "Start Something"

100 MPG Chevrolet Silverado E-REV - Fleets only still waiting.
    Hidden Content
    Cut the dependance on Arab oil, cut the trade deficit in foreign oil.

Life is to short - drive live your dream

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Toto View Post
    No, Opel isn't a minnow. Being #3 and outgrowing the market by double figures isn't that bad. Also Kudos to Ford for doing a great job, too.

Another brand doing his homework and so did Opel. What's the problem here?
    Toto these are January numbers out of date. February ACEA numbers for Europe are not not out yet and still your posting February sales of different few countries as if they are European sales for February, it turns out other brands are getting even bigger rises than Opel, and British market share just collapsed in February.

The Problem is No6 Fiat overtook No5 Opel Group in the EU sales chart in January. Fiat jumped to the No5 spot Opel dropped to No 6 in January. You are mixing up January & February sales numbers Toto.

I will wait until the February ACEA sales numbers are published to reserve judgment, as nothing you have posted is giving the true picture, nearly all the brands in the Italian top 10 had bigger sales increase than Opel.Vauxhall is down-18% or the Vauxhall Corsa (-15%) and Astra (-32%) disappointed me. Vauxhall UK market share dropped from 12.41% to 9.55% that is a massive loss of market share.

Rupert stop hiding, what went wrong in the UK in February sales, compared to last February, l always like to hear your view on things.
    Last edited by Oldsmobile stopped; 03-09-2016 at 06:06 PM.

Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,896 Times in 1,346 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

so how did Volkswagon do in growth / contraction I assume they are still down over "dieselgate"

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    so how did Volkswagon do in growth / contraction I assume they are still down over "dieselgate"
    They contracted a couple of percent, more like 5% in real terms. So not good, but not absolutely disastrous.

I am not saying Opel isn't growing, and any increase is a move in the right direction when you are still in the red after decades - but keep it in context. Bentley had a near-200% increase year-year here in Oz last month. It sold 8 cars, instead of 3..... good news, but not enough for the CEO to hang out a shingle.

Opel's increase is not fantastic in terms of a Euro market showing signs of shrugging off the doldrums in cars sales with virtually every market posting double digit increases, with many over 20% on February 2015. Hence my comment about a rising tide floating all boats.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Watchdevil View Post
    Mark Adams is a British car designer works for General Motors Europe Opel/Vauxhall (Not just Opel designs only) - Ampera, GTC, Insignia, Meriva, Monza, Zafira Tourer, Cadillac CTS sedan & Viva. I think it is Opel uses a British designer designs. Even does a bit for Caddilac.

Last edited by Oldsmobile stopped; 03-09-2016 at 06:42 PM.

Hidden Content

22. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information