Successful Opel Astra and IntelliLux LED® Matrix Light Winning over Customers

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Successful Opel Astra and IntelliLux LED® Matrix Light Winning over Customers

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member Toto's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Opel Corsa GSI

Successful Opel Astra and IntelliLux LED® Matrix Light Winning over Customers

Opel Europe
    2017-01-23

Rüsselsheim. Over 350,000 Opel Astra orders since the car went on sale in 2015, Opel’s bestselling model in 2016, second place in the compact segment across Europe and in the compact retail segment in 2016 and a host of international accolades including the Golden Steering Wheel and the European ‘Car of the Year 2016’ award – the Astra is without a doubt a real winner. Its recipe for success consists of ingredients such as lightweight construction, highly efficient propulsion systems, outstanding digital connectivity and driver assistance technologies normally only found in the premium segment. The intelligent IntelliLux LED matrix light is one these technologies. It has not only won over critics across Europe winning various awards on the way but it has also established itself as one of the most sought after options available for the Astra. Eighteen months after its introduction, IntelliLux LED matrix light can look back on a success story only rivalled by the success of the Astra itself.

In Germany, Opel’s important home market, every third Astra is ordered with the highly efficient and high performance lighting system. In neighboring Switzerland around 45% of Astra buyers want IntelliLux LED matrix light and the feature is also winning over customers in Austria with over 40% of vehicles intended for the Alpine republic coming with the innovative and affordable lighting technology. Elsewhere, IntelliLux LED is also extremely popular in Finland and Sweden (each 37%). However, even these impressive figures are dwarfed by the success of the system in Norway where a massive 84% of new Opel Astra cars on the roads are equipped with the lighting technology of the future.

“We are obviously delighted with the success of the IntelliLux LED matrix light. It is further proof that our principle of democratizing technology by providing innovative and affordable solutions is finding its mark with the customers. I must compliment our engineers on this highly effective system that provides outstanding night time performance enhancing safety for the driver and those around them,” said Opel Vice President Sales & Aftersales Peter Christian Küspert.

Full press release: http://media.opel.com/media/intl/en/...ntellilux.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,070 Times in 1,900 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Cadillac CT6

Re: Successful Opel Astra and IntelliLux LED® Matrix Light Winning over Customers

Any idea how this LED tech compares & overlaps with Cadillac's LED tech?

Thanks
    My Ride
    Opel Corsa GSI

Re: Successful Opel Astra and IntelliLux LED® Matrix Light Winning over Customers

Quote Originally Posted by dslay04 View Post
    I don't know much about Cadillac's system. Mainstream brands in Europe offer LED lighting, but not the matrix technology.

Opel's IntelliLux system is simpler but also much cheaper (up to 2-3 times) compared to the same technology used by premium/luxury brands. For example Audi use up to 96 pixel in their top models, whereas Opel use 16 pixel for the Astra and 32 pixel for the new Insignia. That brings the price down to the same level as the AFL bi-xenon system used in the predecessor of the Astra/Insignia. It is also more repair friendly. You can replace the LED lighting segments and the LED control unit separately afaik. At other brands both components are one unit.
    Last edited by Toto; 01-23-2017 at 12:57 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Toto For This Useful Post:

mbukukanyau (01-24-2017)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,556 Times in 662 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dslay04 View Post
    A while back Consumer Repotrs praised the Escalade's LED lights as the best they ever tested.
    I am on the border of genius and crazy. I keep trying to cross over into genius, but ICE keeps sending me back to the crazy side of the border.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

I wonder what the lights are at night that are quite blue in tone?
    "The only normal people are the ones you don't know well". unknown

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks
    Thanked 1,291 Times in 680 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by johnstarnes View Post
    I wonder what the lights are at night that are quite blue in tone?
    If the light spectrum temperature is of an extreme blue to purple, blame aftermarket providers. Junk lighting for people that like to 'stand out' (for all the wrong reasons).

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bmwboy2007 For This Useful Post:

johnstarnes (01-23-2017)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bmwboy2007 View Post
    If the light spectrum temperature is of an extreme blue to purple, blame aftermarket providers. Junk lighting for people that like to 'stand out' (for all the wrong reasons).
    I'd say that these are a light pure blue, no purple.
    "The only normal people are the ones you don't know well". unknown

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnstarnes View Post
    I'd say that these are a light pure blue, no purple.
    I think almost all colors are are available it appears to be the case. I've seen headlights that were green. I've even seen some that are red. I don't understand how those are even legal, but there you have it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bmwboy2007 For This Useful Post:

johnstarnes (01-23-2017)

GMI Staff Member Premium Member NoStopN's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,451 Times in 1,434 Posts
    My Ride
    19 Ram, 69 GMC, 04 Alero

Red & green lights aren't technically legal, but people run the risk.
    Hidden Content

I love you, Dad. 8/25/57-3/28/11

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    Opel Corsa GSI

Quote Originally Posted by bmwboy2007 View Post
    I remember the time people started to buy cheap "xenon-like" bulbs from ebay. It was the horror at night. Luckily they are mostly gone and not longer allowed in Germany.

On the other hand, it's very expensive to upgrade from halogen to xenon light, because every car equipped with xenon also must have auto height adjustment installed in Germany (Europe?).

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,896 Times in 1,346 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Quote Originally Posted by Robert1969 View Post
    A while back Consumer Repotrs praised the Escalade's LED lights as the best they ever tested.
    I believe these "ACTIVE" headlights are NOT legal in USA so "FIXED" L E D like the Escalades is the BEST we can GET
    I believe AUDI and there "LASER" headlights are in court right now trying to change the LAWS to allow them

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Toto View Post
    I remember the time people started to buy cheap "xenon-like" bulbs from ebay. It was the horror at night. Luckily they are mostly gone and not longer allowed in Germany.

On the other hand, it's very expensive to upgrade from halogen to xenon light, because every car equipped with xenon also must have auto height adjustment installed in Germany (Europe?).
    I remember those as well from about 20 years ago.. those were ghastly horrible, but I think you're correct, those are all gone now.

Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    I believe these "ACTIVE" headlights are NOT legal in USA so "FIXED" L E D like the Escalades is the BEST we can GET
    I believe AUDI and there "LASER" headlights are in court right now trying to change the LAWS to allow them
    BMW announced they were working on 'laser' headlights a few years back.

BMW's laser lights

BMW Laserlight is a highly efficient lighting technology with a high-beam range double that of headlights containing conventional technology.

The BMW i8 is also the world’s first series production vehicle in which BMW Laserlight technology is offered, a pioneering high-beam function that heralds a new era in the development of innovative BMW lighting technology.

In the laser headlight, the beams of light are bundled together to attain a luminous intensity that is ten times greater than conventional light sources such as halogen, xenon or LED. BMW Laserlight has a visual range of up to 600 metres, twice that of a headlight with conventional light technology.

BMW Laserlight surpasses energy efficiency compared with already highly effective LED light technology by a further 30 percent, thereby providing considerably greater light intensity and a marked reduction in electricity consumption.
    More at the link
    http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...ser_light.html

18. The Following User Says Thank You to bmwboy2007 For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (01-25-2017)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Toto View Post
    AFAIK that's by UN. I don't know when exactly UN made it official. So now most cars in EU do not come with fog-lamps if they have Xenons. But I think that UN forbids cornering light.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bare View Post
    AFAIK that's by UN. I don't know when exactly UN made it official. So now most cars in EU do not come with fog-lamps if they have Xenons. But I think that UN forbids cornering light.
    There is no such regulatory activity being exercised by the UN. There never has been, it's not part of the UN charter.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 91fairladyZ's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 GMC Acadia SLT2 Silver

With headlight capability being a part of the IIHS now, and the only way to get a top safety pick plus, it will be important for the US to make this system and others like it legal.

22. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information