Opel/Vauxhall Sell Almost 1.1 Million Vehicles in 2014

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Opel/Vauxhall Sell Almost 1.1 Million Vehicles in 2014

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member Toto's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Opel Corsa GSI

Opel/Vauxhall Sell Almost 1.1 Million Vehicles in 2014

Opel Media Online
    2015-01-07

- Sales and market share increased in Europe in 2014 despite difficult environment
    - Company expects further increase this year due to model offensive
    - 85,000 orders for the new Corsa

Rüsselsheim. In spite of the difficult economic environment, 2014 ended on a high for Opel/Vauxhall with the carmaker recording its best sales figures in recent years. According to preliminary figures, the company delivered around 1.076 million vehicles in Europe last year. This is equivalent to an increase of 35,000 cars or three percent. Opel thereby outgrew the overall European market that only registered growth of two percent. Opel’s share of the overall European vehicle market was up for the second year running – by 0.1 percentage points to 5.74 percent. Opel achieved its best sales figures and market share since 2011.

“We recorded growth in more than 15 markets. Our modern range of cars managed to impress especially in the most important European markets,” said Peter Christian Küspert, Vice President Sales & Aftersales Opel Group. Amongst others, Opel grew in Germany, the United Kingdom, France, Italy and Spain. Opel booked its largest sales volume increases in Poland (+ 42 percent), Ireland (+ 33 percent) and Portugal (+ 28 percent). The market share grew in more than twelve European countries.

The economic situation in Russia where sales of the entire industry were down considerably in 2014 had a negative impact on the overall result. “Russia is one of our most important markets. Opel is obviously suffering from the ruble devaluation and buying resistance. The fact that we managed to increase our sales on a pan-European level in 2014 fuels our optimism for this year. We will definitely not rest on our laurels,” added Küspert.

Opel will continue its model offensive this year. The new Corsa, which has already been ordered 85,000 times, will be at the dealers later this month. The new entry-level model KARL will follow in the summer and the compact model Astra will arrive at the end of the year.

“We will be able to offer our customers the best small car portfolio of all time with KARL, Corsa and ADAM. And our bestsellers, Corsa and Astra, which make up 50 percent of our sales will be renewed,” explained Küspert.

Opel’s large-scale product offensive will see 27 new models and 17 new engines brought to market by 2018 and the company wants to increase its sales figures further in the years to come. The carmaker has targeted a market share of eight percent in Europe by 2022.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Vehicle Free Agent

Re: Opel/Vauxhall Sell Almost 1.1 Million Vehicles in 2014

I keep reading positive Opel news which is great. Why has it been so long since Opel has made money?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wallus13 View Post
    I keep reading positive Opel news which is great. Why has it been so long since Opel has made money?
    Creative accounting so GM dont have to pay taxes.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    Opel Corsa GSI

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_VT View Post
    True, but there are many more. Another one is the relationship between Rüsselsheim and Detroit. In their relationship you can find enough stuff to make complete TV series in the categories drama, thriller, comedy, horror ... and I'm only talking about last week.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 mchicha's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    a car

Quote Originally Posted by Toto View Post
    True, but there are many more. Another one is the relationship between Rüsselsheim and Detroit. In their relationship you can find enough stuff to make complete TV series in the categories drama, thriller, comedy, horror ... and I'm only talking about last week.
    Its a subsidiary, but I suspect Germans do not like working for Ze Americans.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Opel Corsa GSI

Quote Originally Posted by mchicha View Post
    Hey, don't fire so fast with your stereotypes. The year is long.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,224 Times in 1,376 Posts

Some decent sale numbers for Opel that prove Opel is more than strong enough to make it in Europe.

Now if we only knew how much money Opel really makes, hard to believe they are losing any money with sales numbers like that, let alone the amounts GM's accounting states.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,488 Times in 1,882 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by mchicha View Post
    It's not just the Germans, it's any nationality - but there is another way of being run as a subsidiary, eg the way American Ford ran JLR and Volvo, the way Indian Tata run JLR now, the way Chinese Geely run Volvo now.

Maybe GM Detroit needs to look at the way subsidiaries are run - if only to avoid repeats of Australia and Europe.

Sox
    5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Ducati Multistrada

Quote Originally Posted by Ruperts Trooper View Post
    It's not just the Germans, it's any nationality - but there is another way of being run as a subsidiary, eg the way American Ford ran JLR and Volvo, the way Indian Tata run JLR now, the way Chinese Geely run Volvo now.

Maybe GM Detroit needs to look at the way subsidiaries are run - if only to avoid repeats of Australia and Europe.
    I think they would have to give a rodent's posterior first.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member BBDOS CV8's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Holden Monaro (Barbados)

Quote Originally Posted by Sox View Post
    I think they would have to give a rodent's posterior first

Well, their chickens in Australia are well and truly coming home to roost: Ford just had it's lowest sales since 1948 - and think, what happened in 1948 that basically set Ford back decades?

Hint:

And Holden just had it's worst sales quarter, in a quarter of a century. Not since the VB Commodore, the last great catastrophe foisted on Australia by GM Detroit, have sales of Holden been so low.

Ford had another month where the Thai-built Ranger outsold everything else in their line: Falcon, Mondeo, Focus, Fiesta - combined.

People are just not interested in either maker's line with no local cars. 2002 - Hanenberger was in charge and Holden was No. 1 and Ford No. 3. Mooney arrives - Holden drops to No. 2 by 2005. Now they're just clinging to 4 and 5, Mazda and Hyundai both vaulted over them and have clear air between them.

Ford used to sell 5 or 6 thousand Falcons or variations on it a month. They sold less than 7000 for all of 2014, a quarter of the first, 1960 Falcon made on the same line. It's now outside the top 20 cars. Commodore's still no 5, but going backwards.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/busin...-1227175944937
    Last edited by BBDOS CV8; 01-08-2015 at 04:03 PM.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_VT View Post
    Explain that. The US has the highest taxes in the world. Taxed at the federal, state, and local level. They are better off making money in any other country than the US.

Ireland would be a great place.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,224 Times in 1,376 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ruperts Trooper View Post

Good points

Ford and GM just do not understand how to maximize the value of subsidiaries on a global level and focus far too much on costs and not enough on building strong revenue streams from multiple sources that in the end deliver strong earnings and cash for future development.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 MisterMe's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Chevrolet Malibu/2016/Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by smithb View Post
    Explain that. The US has the highest taxes in the world. Taxed at the federal, state, and local level. They are better off making money in any other country than the US.

Oh, nonsense. It is not the taxes on the books, but the taxes that they pay. The U.S. may have high nominal taxes, but corporations pay armies of lobbyist to ensure that they also have numerous tax breaks, and armies of accountants to take advantage of those tax breaks.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smithb View Post

MANY U.S. corporations each and every year escape those "highest taxes".
    "The only normal people are the ones you don't know well". unknown

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 645 Posts

I'm glad Opel is doing well. I can't get over how many I see in Istanbul, and how sharp the Astra looks.

Is Chevrolet pulling out of Turkey? It seems like the Captiva, Cruze, and Aveo (Sonic) are very popular here. They are certainly "nicer" than the Korean and Italian cars. I wasn't sure if GM Europe included Turkey or if this was considered "middle east" to GM. I see a lot of Opel and Chevrolet products here.
    Last edited by member12; 02-02-2015 at 03:14 AM.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information