Opel/Vauxhall going upmarket

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opel/Vauxhall going upmarket

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,284 Times in 1,778 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Opel/Vauxhall going upmarket

Preview of the 2017 Insignia shows it's gaining considerable interior space (it needs to even for Europe) and move upmarket to take on Audi, BMW and Mercedes-Benz - and the surprise news that Cadillac will "donate" it's SUVs to Opel/Vauxhall rather than Chevrolet/Buick.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/vauxhal...m-to-rival-bmw

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruperts Trooper For This Useful Post:

cad1cts (08-26-2015)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 3,050 Times in 1,889 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Cadillac CT6

Re: Opel/Vauxhall going upmarket

Could be interesting.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,701 Times in 5,617 Posts

Why? And why would Cadillac be donating its SUVs vs anyone else?

Especially when Cadillac plans to enter Europe..?

Whatever. I just want to see this in person, I'm dying to see a Buick riff off the A7.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by sfbreh View Post

Whatever. I just want to see this in person, I'm dying to see a Buick riff off the A7.
    Maybe they have a plan to move Opel/Vauxhall upmarket instead of bring Cadillac to Europe ?

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

Opel could probably sell some additional higher end products rather than actually move their entire lineup upmarket and go full-Audi or whatever. After all, a XT5 with some Opel styling would probably be fine as a competitor from relatively mainstream up to Touareg-like SUVs if they market it properly (and it's actually good, obviously). But the entire brand is unlikely to really work that upmarket. Even with their reptuation, VW doesn't sell a whole lot of high end stuff beyond more premium versions of their mainstream products like the Passat and your CCs, Touaregs, and Phaetons. What might work for Opel in some global markets though would be a Hyundai-VW-Kia model of selling everything from economy vehicles to luxury products, and plenty of products in Europe already get relatively premium compared to products here, where brands like Acura or Buick fill in the space of more premium products for some brands. So to a degree this can work, but it's a matter of how they actually do this.

Quote Originally Posted by sfbreh View Post

The reason I'm sure is margins, and particularly in Europe. Same thing with PSA moving Peugeot upmarket (or maybe those are still rumors, as they already are supposed to launch the DS premium brand).

But not every brand can do that, and I don't think Opel can really become a premium brand so much as a mainstream brand that also sells premium products too (VW, Hyundai, Toyota).

Quote Originally Posted by Ruperts Trooper View Post
    Maybe they have a plan to move Opel/Vauxhall upmarket instead of bring Cadillac to Europe ?
    They probably know that regardless of the European plans for Cadillac, it'll be years and years before they are able to gain any relative volume from Cadillac in Europe, if ever. So might as well not put all of your eggs in one basket. Plus look at VW's lack of concern with overlap between VWs and Audis.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,701 Times in 5,617 Posts

I guess it all depends on how "upmarket" they plan to go.

That "Cadillac" will be the donor for Opel's crossovers says to me that Cadillac will have more than unique interiors and sheetmetal for its crossovers. Maybe a bit of Lincoln platform magic in the works, too?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sfbreh For This Useful Post:

cad1cts (08-26-2015)

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member Toto's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Opel Corsa GSI

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibian View Post
    Opel could probably sell some additional higher end products rather than actually move their entire lineup upmarket and go full-Audi or whatever.
    You mean something like the cheap KARL (Spark) and lifestyle ADAM, or in this case a cheap Malibu based mainstream version and a premium Insignia? Could work for Opel.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toto For This Useful Post:

kmacleod (08-31-2015),SierraGS (08-30-2015),Ute (08-26-2015)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,549 Times in 1,121 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

I thought OPEL was going up market 3 - 4 years age and "gave up" last year and NOW again going up market EX in a market that is in recession / at least not "recovered"
    and the CADDY SUV thing I assume the SRX will be the base for an OPEL unit and NOT the Buick Anthem - if it EVER shows up outside CHINA

Thanks
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    I thought OPEL was going up market 3 - 4 years age and "gave up" last year and NOW again going up market EX in a market that is in recession / at least not "recovered"
    and the CADDY SUV thing I assume the SRX will be the base for an OPEL unit and NOT the Buick Anthem - if it EVER shows up outside CHINA
    The article refers to 3 SUVs, the biggest donated from Cadillac, a 7-seater

Thanks
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 965 Posts
    My Ride
    です

Now there is room to reintroduce Chevrolet

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Butz For This Useful Post:

CarFreak77 (09-01-2015),nadepalma (09-03-2015)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    GM perpetually changes what they're going in Europe, and not just with Opel.

The Buick Envision would probably be a decent Opel Antara if its driving personality was adapted to more European preferences and suitable powertrains.

Thanks
    My Ride
    1992 Supra Turbo

Looks very close to the new Malibu which I like. I have high hopes for the Regal. Looking to upgrade my Cruze soon...

Last edited by supraracer; 08-26-2015 at 03:13 PM.
    Straights are for fast cars, corners are for fast drivers.

1992 Supra Turbo (Modified)
    2014 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ RS (Trifecta Tune Coming Soon)
    Past Rides:
    Nissan Murano SLE AWD
    Chrysler Conquest TSI (Modified)
    Toyota Celica ST
    '77 COTY Chevrolet Caprice Classic w/F41 option

19. The Following User Says Thank You to supraracer For This Useful Post:

cad1cts (08-26-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,166 Times in 1,344 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibian View Post
    Opel could probably sell some additional higher end products rather than actually move their entire lineup upmarket and go full-Audi or whatever. After all, a XT5 with some Opel styling would probably be fine as a competitor from relatively mainstream up to Touareg-like SUVs if they market it properly (and it's actually good, obviously). But the entire brand is unlikely to really work that upmarket. Even with their reptuation, VW doesn't sell a whole lot of high end stuff beyond more premium versions of their mainstream products like the Passat and your CCs, Touaregs, and Phaetons. What might work for Opel in some global markets though would be a Hyundai-VW-Kia model of selling everything from economy vehicles to luxury products, and plenty of products in Europe already get relatively premium compared to products here, where brands like Acura or Buick fill in the space of more premium products for some brands. So to a degree this can work, but it's a matter of how they actually do this.

The reason I'm sure is margins, and particularly in Europe. Same thing with PSA moving Peugeot upmarket (or maybe those are still rumors, as they already are supposed to launch the DS premium brand).

But not every brand can do that, and I don't think Opel can really become a premium brand so much as a mainstream brand that also sells premium products too (VW, Hyundai, Toyota).

They probably know that regardless of the European plans for Cadillac, it'll be years and years before they are able to gain any relative volume from Cadillac in Europe, if ever. So might as well not put all of your eggs in one basket. Plus look at VW's lack of concern with overlap between VWs and Audis.
    Good points

Do not see the entire Opel/Vauxhall brand going "Up Market" but can see Opel/Vauxhall offering "Up Market" product in a select few segments.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by supraracer View Post
    Looks very close to the new Malibu which I like. I have high hopes for the Regal. Looking to upgrade my Cruze soon...

Looks better than the Malibu, especially the lower LED's in front.

Now if GM would only get the Malibu and Regal properly "feature/priced" aligned in the segment.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ruperts Trooper View Post
    Would be a better solution for the low to mid range premium segments as Cadillac would then only focus on the premium and top levels of the Luxury segments where low volumes can be profitable.

23. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information