Opel/Vauxhall: GM lost money over two decades; PSA made money in the first year - Page 7

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Opel/Vauxhall: GM lost money over two decades; PSA made money in the first year

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Re: Opel/Vauxhall: GM lost money over two decades; PSA made money in the first year

Quote Originally Posted by dannyg View Post
    Perhaps Caddy will come up with a niche-brand strategy for Europe at some point? A few dealerships in key cities, that sort of thing. Sell EVs when they’re available plus a few diesels (while they still can) once the rumored new diesel is available. That plus niche Corvette/Camaro sales.

I was in France last month, saw a lot of Peugeots, I’d buy a 208 or a Renault Twingo (cute!), a fantastic-looking new Alpine, a few old DSs and 2CVs...and a Sonic in Paris. Can’t be too many of those still around...

Attachment 41559

Vauxhall UK makes up a huge number of Opel sales in Europe the British are the biggest cosmopolitan car buying market in Europe, German, French are the only to other big markets in Europe both are very nationalistic car buyer would never accept buying Cadillac, sadly Caddy fitted the steering wheel on passengers side of the car so were destined to fail in Europe, Jaguar fit all thier steering on the left side for the US market, and on the right side of the car for the UK market.

March 2019 European Union car sales by country.

No1 United Kingdom 458,054 (Cosmopolitan open car buyers)
    No2 Germany 345,523 (Nationalistic car buyers)
    No3 France 225,818 (Nationalistic car buyers)
    No4 Italy 193,662 (Nationalistic car buyers)
    No5 Spain 122,664
    No 6 Belgium 54,873
    No7 Poland 50,118
    No 8 Netherlands 39,126
    No 9 Austria 31,958
    No 10 Sweden 30,256
    No11 Denmark 26,323
    No12 Portugal 24,900
    No13 Czech Republic 21,491
    No14 Ireland 16,703
    No15 Hungary 13,391
    No16 Romania 9,813
    No 17 Greece 9,518
    No18 Finland 9,227
    No 19 Slovakia 9,222
    No 20 Slovenia 7,108
    No 21 Luxemburg 5,621
    No 22 Croatia 5,047
    No 23 Lithuania 3,971
    No 24 Bulgaria 3,226
    No25 Estonia 2,223
    No 26 Latvia 1,618
    No 27 Cyprus 888
    No 28 Malta to small no data

Fit the steering on the wrong side of car in the UK market Caddy and you are bound to fail, UK is both Ford and Opel through Vauxhall biggest market, how many Jaguars were sold in the USA with steering wheel fitted on the RH side of the car none last year, which about same as what Cadillac achieved by fitting the steering wheel on wrong side of the car in the UK market.
    Last edited by Oldsmobile stopped; 04-21-2019 at 01:34 PM.
    OLDSMOBILE - "Start Something"

100 MPG Chevrolet Silverado E-REV - Fleets only still waiting.
    Hidden Content
    Cut the dependance on Arab oil, cut the trade deficit in foreign oil.

Life is to short - drive live your dream

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Oldsmobile stopped For This Useful Post:

SierraGS (07-27-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Opel Corsa GSI

Re: Opel/Vauxhall: GM lost money over two decades; PSA made money in the first year

Update: Opel made a profit of 700 millions Euro in the first half of 2019 in a declining market (last year 502 millions). PSA profit increased to 1.8 billions Euro (+351 millions Euro) while car sales worldwide were down 12.8%. The operative return grew up from 7.8% last year to 8.7% in 2019.
    Last edited by damnitgmi; 07-27-2019 at 02:23 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to damnitgmi For This Useful Post:

SierraGS (07-27-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,869 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by damnitgmi View Post
    Update: Opel made a profit of 700 millions Euro in the first half of 2019 in a declining market (last year 502 millions). PSA profit increased to 1.8 billions Euro (+351 millions Euro) while car sales worldwide were down 12.8%. The operative return grew up from 7.8% last year to 8.7% in 2019.
    PSA was better organised to meet WLTP emission test requirements than most other brands despite coping with ex-GM powertrains that can't meet 2020 EU regulations.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruperts Trooper For This Useful Post:

SierraGS (07-27-2019)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ruperts Trooper View Post
    PSA was better organised to meet WLTP emission test requirements than most other brands despite coping with ex-GM powertrains that can't meet 2020 EU regulations.
    And on top of that PSA were literally gifted Opel, free of any pension liabilities. Then PSA sacked just over 30% of Opel staff. And then they de-contented over €500 from each vehicle, and increased prices by almost 5% in relative terms - historically Opel were always around 5% cheaper than VW to remain competitive. While quality dropped, warranty costs increased significantly. This sort of explains why there are fewer Opels than ever at the main employee car park in Rüsselsheim.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to GolfBravo For This Useful Post:

GTC (07-28-2019)

GTC
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GolfBravo View Post
    And on top of that PSA were literally gifted Opel, free of any pension liabilities. Then PSA sacked just over 30% of Opel staff. And then they de-contented over €500 from each vehicle, and increased prices by almost 5% in relative terms - historically Opel were always around 5% cheaper than VW to remain competitive. While quality dropped, warranty costs increased significantly. This sort of explains why there are fewer Opels than ever at the main employee car park in Rüsselsheim.
    I was driving an Opel ever since I got my driving license 11 years ago. My parents had an Opel ever since they bought their first car together. Opel cars had a good reliability for us and we never had some issues with them. I bought my self a new car 5 days ago. Its an Audi A3 limousine. New Opel lineup is simply too boring and made to be liked by 50 year old buyer. Made to be liked by boring people. Trying to fit for everyone but actually what you need to do is to find a specific group of people that will love you. Not everyone to like your cars but some of them to love them. That is the only way to be successful in this crowded market in Europe. That is how you take and extra money and how you make a profit. Look what Peugeot did. Their cars look amazing and its paying them off. I had and Peugeot 308 for few days after I sold my Astra as an replacement car, and besides terrible manual shifter the car was quieter, lighter, simply more comfortable to drive than Astra.
    I hope in next few years Opel will get back on track with new models because right now they are just too boring even for huge Opel fans like I am.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Opel Corsa GSI

Quote Originally Posted by GTC View Post
    I was driving an Opel ever since I got my driving license 11 years ago. My parents had an Opel ever since they bought their first car together. Opel cars had a good reliability for us and we never had some issues with them. I bought my self a new car 5 days ago. Its an Audi A3 limousine. New Opel lineup is simply too boring and made to be liked by 50 year old buyer. Made to be liked by boring people. Trying to fit for everyone but actually what you need to do is to find a specific group of people that will love you. Not everyone to like your cars but some of them to love them. That is the only way to be successful in this crowded market in Europe. That is how you take and extra money and how you make a profit. Look what Peugeot did. Their cars look amazing and its paying them off. I had and Peugeot 308 for few days after I sold my Astra as an replacement car, and besides terrible manual shifter the car was quieter, lighter, simply more comfortable to drive than Astra.
    I hope in next few years Opel will get back on track with new models because right now they are just too boring even for huge Opel fans like I am.
    Congrats on your new car. A work colleague of mine was a big A3 fan. His old one was rock solid except for some interior quirks in the end, but that was acceptable considering the age of the car. His next one was a mess. New turbo, new engine, new gearbox (twice) and to top all of this some ******* hit his car so hard while it was parked, that it was a total economic damage. After he became a father of a son and married his girlfriend, a new one was to expensive and he switched to SEAT. Now he drives a Leon FR station wagon, but he still miss his old A3.

I mostly agree with you on the current line-up of Opel cars. Currently the best looking Opel in my opinion is the new Corsa GS line in moon stone grey with the black roof, dark tinted rear windows in combination with the black 17-inch rims. Although the engine is weaker compared to my current Corsa GSI, the acceleration and top-speed numbers are very close. The first reviews of the pre-production models are also positive. All this makes me hope that the next generations of Opel cars on the new platforms will do better in the market as the current ones.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to damnitgmi For This Useful Post:

GTC (07-28-2019)

GTC
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by damnitgmi View Post
    Congrats on your new car. A work colleague of mine was a big A3 fan. His old one was rock solid except for some interior quirks in the end, but that was acceptable considering the age of the car. His next one was a mess. New turbo, new engine, new gearbox (twice) and to top all of this some ******* hit his car so hard while it was parked, that it was a total economic damage. After he became a father of a son and married his girlfriend, a new one was to expensive and he switched to SEAT. Now he drives a Leon FR station wagon, but he still miss his old A3.

I mostly agree with you on the current line-up of Opel cars. Currently the best looking Opel in my opinion is the new Corsa GS line in moon stone grey with the black roof, dark tinted rear windows in combination with the black 17-inch rims. Although the engine is weaker compared to my current Corsa GSI, the acceleration and top-speed numbers are very close. The first reviews of the pre-production models are also positive. All this makes me hope that the next generations of Opel cars on the new platforms will do better in the market as the current ones.
    Thank you for your good wishes. I hope it will serve well. Car looks and feels amazing to drive compared to Astra. S-tronic shifter is awesome. Currently probably the best automatic gearbox in the world.

I agree with you about the now Corsa. Exterior looks amazing, but interior is a big disappointment for me. Looks boring and cheap.
    About the power and driving - as I said I was driving 308 with approximately same hp as my ex Astra. Felt like it has at least 30hp more. Driving Astra compared to 308 is like you had trailer towed with Astra all the time ( Astra J I am talking about). New model is lighter and better, but Opel now needs to work on its interior design. Currently I think they belong to last few places if we compare cars in Europe with design and material quality of interior.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Opel Corsa GSI

Opel Increases Market Share in Europe

Rüsselsheim. The upward trend at Opel continues: In the months January to August, the brand with the Blitz has slightly increased the market share in the important European market (passenger car and LCV registrations; E30) to 5.42 percent. The Rüsselsheim-based company also recorded a growing market share in the single month of August.

“We have improved our market share in Europe in an increasingly demanding environment while at the same time consistently focusing on profitable sales channels and growth segments. That is a good result, and we can confidently look ahead to the rest of the year,” said Xavier Duchemin, Managing Director Sales, Aftersales and Marketing. “Opel/Vauxhall delivered around 700,000 vehicles worldwide as per end of August. Our attractive and efficient models and a strong presence in the important SUV segment are the basis for this success.”

In the course of the year, Opel achieved improvements in several countries: On the German market, Opel increased new passenger car registrations by 3,200 units (+2.1%), which correspondents to a slightly increased market share (now 6.3%). Opel/Vauxhall also improved its market share (Passenger cars and light commercial vehicles) in the other big European automotive markets France, United Kingdom, Italy and Spain.

The company expects further impetus from the comprehensive model offensive, which will be driven forward consistently. By the end of 2020, Opel will be launching eight new models and pushing the pace of the electrification of its product portfolio.
    Source: https://int-media.opel.com/en/09-09-...hare-in-europe

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to damnitgmi For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (09-09-2019),Ruperts Trooper (09-09-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,869 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Opel/Vauxhall made profits of 6.5% in 2019 https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/vauxha...reases-profits which raises the question again why GM couldn't manage Opel/Vauxhall profitably while PSA can ?

3.6 Liter SIDI V6 CMiatso DaBang's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,114 Times in 510 Posts

Opel/Vauxhall made profits of 6.5% in 2019 https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/vauxha...reases-profits which raises the question again why GM couldn't manage Opel/Vauxhall profitably while PSA can ?
    I thought that there were a great deal of lay-offs and Gov't incentives thrown in this changeover. One such example was Link

and more to come..

PSA Group’s German car-making division Opel will cut up to 4,100 jobs, joining rivals around the globe in retrenching amid a sales slowdown and technological disruption.

The cuts will be focused at German sites in Ruesselsheim, Eisenach and Kaiserslautern, where Opel will reopen a voluntary leave program for employees to eliminate 2,100 positions by 2025, the company said in a statement Tuesday.
    Bloomberg

Maybe GM figured enough was enough. I don't see incompetence.. just a lack of patience and will to be the bad guy,.. .as they are so often labeled. Besides.. it allows them to focus on the core business
    My current crop is 2020 CT6V Fully loaded, 2016 Corvette Z06 3LT fully loaded, 2015 GMC Yukon SLT Fully loaded, 2011 Chevy Cruze (kid's) LTZ, fully loaded, 1966 Chevy Impala SS 396 4spd Muncie 3.73 gears, 2003 Harley Softail with Rinehart exhaust, 2016 Harley Night Rod Special V&H Comp

19. The Following User Says Thank You to CMiatso DaBang For This Useful Post:

gkr778 (02-26-2020)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar gkr778's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,567 Times in 1,326 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 320i and '72 Nova

Quote Originally Posted by CMiatso DaBang View Post
    Maybe GM figured enough was enough. I don't see incompetence.. just a lack of patience and will to be the bad guy,.. .as they are so often labeled. Besides.. it allows them to focus on the core business
    Regardless of the reasons, GM did the right thing to sell Opel & Vauxhall to PSA. GM Europe was a loser for most of its recent existence (past 40-50 years).

God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,839 Times in 1,310 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

GM has no OTHER presence in Europe so parts chain / logistics / finance and other "back office" is paid ONLY from GM/Opel VS PSA that has all that in place and will "share" the costs between Opel and PSA and that alone is a BIG cost reduction

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Opel Corsa GSI

Opel made a profit of 1.1 billion Euro last year. Thanks to that every Opel employee in Europe gets a performance bonus of 600 Euro. The last bonus payment was in 1997.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,266 Times in 3,503 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Great Job Opel.
    Have they replaced their GM line up with Peugeot line up?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,869 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

This is a good indicator of what the bottom line of the nearly pension-free GM is going to look like in the 2030s.
    They're going to make an awful lot of money once that albatross is no longer around their neck.
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

25. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread Information