Opel is succeeding in restoring poor image, exec says

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opel is succeeding in restoring poor image, exec says

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Opel is succeeding in restoring poor image, exec says

BERLIN -- Opel is succeeding in turning around its tattered image in Germany, the brand's marketing chief Tina Mueller said.

General Motors' money-losing brand has been harmed in its key home market by bad publicity over job losses and the closure of the Bochum factory. But a major marketing campaign and new models such as the Adam minicar and Mokka small SUV are winning back customers.

"Last autumn more people thought Opel as a brand was on its way down than on its way up, that has now changed thanks to the new models and with our new image campaigns," Mueller said.

Mueller said negative publicity over job cuts had not affected the brand in other European markets but in Germany owning an Opel car in Germany had become a social stigma, also in part due to an aging product lineup in the past. “The brand became an invisible wall in the heads of customers, people that said the car is super but I wouldn’t drive an Opel,” she said.

To fix the brand's image, Mueller, who joined Opel in August 2013 from the consumer goods industry, launched a marketing campaign called “Umparken im Kopf” – roughly translated to "change parking spots in your head."

The campaign took an unusual approach. Mueller deliberately left out any association to Opel as a brand initially and instead aimed at generating interest by challenging people’s preconceived notions and prejudices in general.

Only later did Opel take credit for the campaign and begin using it as an advertising slogan to position itself as a challenger of the status quo.

The brand's advertising for the Insignia midsize sedan was a success even though initial ads for the brand's top-line model did not mention the car at all. Opel took advantage of the popularity in Germany of Juergen Klopp, the charismatic trainer of soccer club Borussia Dortmund, as a brand ambassador.

In an advertising spot for the Insignia, an airline stewardess discovers a set of dropped Opel keys on the floor close to a curtain that divides business class passengers from those in economy.

Immediately assuming they must belong to a passenger in the economy class, the stewardess is surprised to find out that they belong to Klopp, who comes out from behind business class curtain to claim them without any sign of shame. “We sold 35 percent more Insignias since this relaunch,” Muelller said.

The brand still has a "way to go" in changing public perceptions but it is moving in the right direction, she said. "We have the foundation for progress. We are confident," Mueller told the Automobilwoche Congress here earlier this month.

New products such as the Karl minicar and a new-generation Astra compact, both launching next year, will continue the brand's revival, she said.

Opel vehicle sales in Germany were up 6 percent to 185,740 in the first ten months, giving it a 7.3 percent market share, an increase of 30 basis points, according to data from the German Federal Transport Authority.

LINK

Opel marketing boss - German social stigma of buying crappy inferior non German made Opel’s has gone in Germany

Thank to her marketing genius in Germany she saved turned around Opel’s image of inferior non-German made cars, after the Bochum factory stopped making expensive huge loss making far superior master race German made "perfect" Opel’s car plant closed saving GM millions, with the most expensive labor costs on the planet, double what USA autoworkers get paid.

Some will say hopefully this will pave the way for the closure of the expensive German Russelsheim plant, l would like GM to keep production open it’s essential to make something at Opel that German, so the very nationalistic buying Germans still see Opel as a German made brand.

Opel vehicle sales in Germany*were up*6 percent to 185,740 in the first ten months. Rest of the German car market sales only increase 3.0%.

Germans now like inferior non-German made, cheaply made cars

In the rest of European Opel/Vauxhall sales increased by +11.8 in October, and +8.2% YTD.

It looks more a case of Germans & Non Germans are responding well to “better value money” just as well made GM cars made outside of Germany without the expensive German labor costs attached, that complete better on price, and the big new wave of new Opel products launched in the austerity hit EU.

Great to see Opel on the mend in Europe, GM are not a benevolent society for overpaid German auto workers. Hopefully Opel might ave started to turned around that nasty $20 billion loss making corner in Europe, and might start turning in a tidy profit as the cars prices start matching buyers wallet, rather than GM have to keep stepping in being the big sugar daddy to Opel.
    OLDSMOBILE - "Start Something"

100 MPG Chevrolet Silverado E-REV - Fleets only still waiting.
    Hidden Content
    Cut the dependance on Arab oil, cut the trade deficit in foreign oil.

Life is to short - drive live your dream

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,701 Times in 1,396 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'07 Ford F-150

Re: Opel is succeeding in restoring poor image, exec says

If you're going to post news articles, don't inject your personal commentary/opinions into the title and OP.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FenwickHockey65 For This Useful Post:

JimmyDiablo (11-27-2014)

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
    If you're going to post news articles, don't inject your personal commentary/opinions into the title and OP.
    I don't need to when you rewrite them & my posts for me.

Thats called a "Dictatorship".
    Last edited by Oldsmobile stopped; 11-27-2014 at 12:43 PM.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride

Or it's called the rules of the site.

https://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...article-84952/
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE

8. The Following User Says Thank You to FenwickHockey65 For This Useful Post:

JimmyDiablo (11-27-2014)

GMI Contributor
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,474 Posts

So are they succeeding in restoring their good image or their poor image?

The title literally sounds like they were improving but have now succeeded in backsliding so as to have restored their poor image again.

...and no link.

Last edited by MonaroSS; 11-27-2014 at 12:49 PM.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member Toto's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Opel Corsa GSI

Their good image, MonaroSS. Today it is 'okay' to drive a Opel.

It is a slow process and the people at Opel known this.

A interview with Opel CEO Dr. Neumann about this topic.

The ‘Re-Park in Your Head’ marketing campaign has already achieved excellent results within a short time. There is no doubt that this success can be attributed to Tina Müller, your new Chief Marketing Officer. She previously worked in the cosmetics industry, something highly unusual in the automotive business. Is it true that she gained respect in record time by getting Opel technicians to dismantle cars and explain everything to her? And did she really take a week-long undercover trip throughout Germany and pester Opel dealers with questions?

Dr. Neumann: Yes, generally speaking, that is all true. Tina Müller was actually recommended to me by a personnel advisor. She has a thorough understanding of how to successfully position a brand. I myself know how important that is as I also have a strong affinity with branding. During my time with Volkswagen in China, I realized the meaning brands have there. A product and a technology can copy others, but a successfully established brand represents a lifestyle, and once this connection has been made, no one else can imitate it.
    Full interview at link: International Opel Post

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 mchicha's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    a car

So Opel is gaining traction in its home market. That is good

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mchicha For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (11-29-2014)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,749 Times in 4,672 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by MonaroSS View Post

The title literally sounds like they were improving but have now succeeded in backsliding so as to have restored their poor image again.

...and no link.

LOL. Apparently copy editors are now a near-extinct species.

And if I have to depend on the marketing chief for "facts," sorry folks I can make up my own **** faster than I can read this article.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

Sox
    5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Ducati Multistrada

Quote Originally Posted by mchicha View Post
    Amen.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sox For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (11-29-2014),richmond2000 (11-28-2014)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 neshapop's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Honda Civic Touring

Maybe Buick Regal would sell well as Opel Insignia if GM ever advertized that car since 2012...

My closest dealer does not have one in stock, last time it took them more than a month to call me back when they got one 2014 available to look and drive. Never came back...

Thanks

My dream regarding Opel will finally come true when they stop advertising it at every step in a way: Buy our cars because we are '100% German!!!' & 'Wir leben autos!'. Common customer in Europe is stupid but not that stupid. Even if Opel was pure German company, there are other factors than manufacturer's nationality that customers take under consideration when they choose a brand (see Hyundai/KIA popularity).
    This whole Opel marketing in Europe is as bad as Cadillac's in U.S. in which Cadillac people compare ATS to BMW 3-series on every possible occasion.
    How GM kills Cadillac's global image, read here:Hidden Content
    I wasn't around during Cadillac's last heyday, so this is the first time I've ever written the following words: The car to beat, the best car in its class, is a Cadillac. You're done playing offense, Cadillac. I hope you can learn how to play defense.
    'MEN's JOURNAL'

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MonaroSS View Post

...and no link.

Thats right the title is a bit odd, somebody changed my title now rewrites my posts in post No2 on this thread, they changed it to that ("Land of the Free", LOL). It had a link in the original post, Poster in No2 post deleted it for me.
    OLDSMOBILE - "Start Something"

100 MPG Chevrolet Silverado E-REV - Fleets only still waiting.
    Hidden Content
    Cut the dependance on Arab oil, cut the trade deficit in foreign oil.

Life is to short - drive live your dream

Thanks
    My Ride

Your OP didn't have the link. I had to Google the first line of the article to find the actual title. Get over yourself.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Col Klink's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mchicha View Post
    I can't see how , their line-up is so bland, oh well suppose someone has to build bland cars so everyone else's look good eh. If that is the objective - well done, you nailed it!!

Thanks

Yeegads guys.... here's the LINK

22. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information