Opel Starts Second Quarter with Increase in Sales

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opel Starts Second Quarter with Increase in Sales

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member Toto's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Opel Corsa GSI

Opel Starts Second Quarter with Increase in Sales

Opel Media Online
    2015-05-11

- Sales in Europe rise by four percent in April
    - Market share continues to increase
    - Further growth expected thanks to product offensive

Rüsselsheim. Opel continued its positive trend in April with the carmaker selling around 92,700 vehicles across Europe – an increase of around 3,600 units or four percent. Opel also increased its European market share by 0.1 percent points to 5.64 percent.

The growth is especially based on a strong performance in Germany. In Opel’s home market, sales were up around seven percent in April. The company had an April market share of 7.26 percent – its highest April market share in the passenger car segment since 2011. Opel also posted improved sales figures, amongst others, in Turkey (+68 percent), Ireland (+42 percent), Greece (+34 percent) and Poland (+24 percent). In total, the Rüsselsheim-based carmaker increased its sales volume in 19 countries.

In the period from January to April, Opel sales increased by 3.3 percent whereas the overall European automotive market only grew by 2.6 percent.

The Mokka once again proved to be a popular choice among buyers with sales increasing in April by almost 30 percent. Corsa registrations were also up 20 percent. Opel has already received over 200,000 orders for its small car bestseller. Sales of the light commercial vehicles Vivaro and Movano grew even faster with an increase of 30.5 and 32.5 percent respectively.

“Our sales outperformed the market despite the conditions remaining difficult. This is further proof of the impact our product offensive is having,” said Peter Christian Küspert, Vice President Sales & Aftersales Opel Group. “We expect further growth from KARL, our mobility and service assistant Opel OnStar and the new Astra that we will present at the Frankfurt Motor Show in September.”

Opel is currently in the middle of the biggest product offensive in the history of company. By 2018, the carmaker will bring 27 new models and 17 new engines to market and is targeting considerable growth throughout Europe.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Toto For This Useful Post:

Butz (05-11-2015),cone-A (05-11-2015),GTC (05-11-2015),SierraGS (05-11-2015)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member BBDOS CV8's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Holden Monaro (Barbados)

Re: Opel Starts Second Quarter with Increase in Sales

All across Italy I saw lots of Mokkas, some Astras and the odd Corsa, I saw a few Orlandos, lots of Agilas. Two whole Insignias. Mokka is a smash there. Most numerous small new SUV, I'd say.

Thanks

I was surprised to learn that over here, the last month's best-selling car to retail buyers (i.e. not fleets or small entrepreneurs, including sole traders) was the Opel Corsa, and it's with a solid 10% margin over the 2nd-placed all-time favourite Toyota Yaris (very affordable hybrid version and stellar reputation) and quite a wide margin over the all-new Skoda Fabia, whose popularity seems to rest in a larger part with fleet buyers. Astra and Mokka came in 6th and 8th.

Corsa's success is the more a feat when you consider that it is perhaps the most unspectacular of new cars in the market, being essentially and very evidently a warmed-over previous-gen Corsa, which has already been seen as dated inside and out. There is no hybrid version like in the Yaris, or lightweight engineering as in the Mazda2, and Opel cannot claim all-newness the way VW can with the Skoda Fabia. Styling is also hardly a merit vs. the Hyundai i20 There isn't much on Corsa's hood either - the only promo (except brandwide preferential insurance and financing, pretty standard in the market) is "free" equipment meaning essentially that vehicles come factory-fitted with what Opel wants you to believe are options, at the same price.

I believe the only true reason why this thoroughly unspectacular (even if a solid offering) car has performed so well is the brand reputation. Surprisingly to even me, the fond memories of solid, yet boring, Corsas that were a staple fot small family, couples old and young, and singles of any age are still fondly remembered and the name trusted by those who are not particularly discerning, but rather have clear expectations and base their emotions on fond memories rather than excitement with the latest rage.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bravada For This Useful Post:

Butz (05-11-2015)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member Toto's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Opel Corsa GSI

Quote Originally Posted by Bravada View Post
    I was surprised to learn that over here, the last month's best-selling car to retail buyers (i.e. not fleets or small entrepreneurs, including sole traders) was the Opel Corsa, and it's with a solid 10% margin over the 2nd-placed all-time favourite Toyota Yaris (very affordable hybrid version and stellar reputation) and quite a wide margin over the all-new Skoda Fabia, whose popularity seems to rest in a larger part with fleet buyers. Astra and Mokka came in 6th and 8th.

Corsa's success is the more a feat when you consider that it is perhaps the most unspectacular of new cars in the market, being essentially and very evidently a warmed-over previous-gen Corsa, which has already been seen as dated inside and out. There is no hybrid version like in the Yaris, or lightweight engineering as in the Mazda2, and Opel cannot claim all-newness the way VW can with the Skoda Fabia. Styling is also hardly a merit vs. the Hyundai i20 There isn't much on Corsa's hood either - the only promo (except brandwide preferential insurance and financing, pretty standard in the market) is "free" equipment meaning essentially that vehicles come factory-fitted with what Opel wants you to believe are options, at the same price.

I believe the only true reason why this thoroughly unspectacular (even if a solid offering) car has performed so well is the brand reputation. Surprisingly to even me, the fond memories of solid, yet boring, Corsas that were a staple fot small family, couples old and young, and singles of any age are still fondly remembered and the name trusted by those who are not particularly discerning, but rather have clear expectations and base their emotions on fond memories rather than excitement with the latest rage.
    As a GSI owner, I have to disagree. Solid, reliable and fun to drive.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Toto For This Useful Post:

Uligar (05-12-2015)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Sounds like some well-crafted PR-spin to me. Now I know the press release is about april, but it does go on about the continued sucess of Opel and Vauxhall in Europe. So I dug up the official registration numbers at the acea.be website. The most recent one: http://www.acea.be/uploads/press_rel...1503_FINAL.pdf
    As you can see, Opel market share is flat at best. And GM is losing share, due to Chevrolet winding down. Which means that Opel isn't picking up those Chevy buyers.

PR is all nice and well, but the facts should support the message. And the numbers don't lie. Opel market share is flat in Europe. So much for the product onslaught.

Edit: typo's

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,499 Times in 1,889 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by jalberda View Post
    Sounds like some well-crafted PR-spin to me. Now I know the press release is about april, but it does go on about the continued sucess of Opel and Vauxhall in Europe. So I dug up the official registration numbers at the acea.be website. The most recent one: http://www.acea.be/uploads/press_rel...1503_FINAL.pdf
    As you can see, Opel market share is flat at best. And GM is losing share, due to Chevrolet winding down. Which means that Opel isn't picking up those Chevy buyers.

PR is all nice and well, but the facts should support the message. And the numbers don't lie. Opel market share is flat in Europe. So much for the product onslaught.

Edit: typo's
    The press release linked conveniently EXCLUDES any reference to Vauxhall and UK sales for April 2015, which were down on 2014, despite the total UK market continuing to grow - since UK is a major part of GM Europe's sales it's hardly surprising that overall sales were flat.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 965 Posts
    My Ride
    です

Should Opel get an Alpha? Maybe a new Opel Senator/Omega? Or did that market dry up?

Thanks
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by Butz View Post
    Should Opel get an Alpha? Maybe a new Opel Senator/Omega? Or did that market dry up?
    It dried up for Opel/Vauxhall over a decade ago, despite Ford pulling out 5 years earlier leaving Opel/Vauxhall alone in that mainstream segment. Many road tests accepted the Omega was a match for the 5-series BMWs (excluding M-models) but the market and residual values had a different opinion.

Sales were somewhat artifical in the last couple of years as the UK government stockpiled significant numbers for future official cars (but since released).

If (and we all know it's impossible) GM had created a Opel/Vauxhall/Holden division to focus on models outside North America, it's possible that Holden could have developed a successor to the Opel/Vauxhall Omega that could have been profitable within the mainstream pricing structures.

GM North America could never produce a successor to the Opel/Vauxhall Omega, because they simply don't understand the European market - the engineering ability is sadly irrelevant.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ausrutherford's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Focus

The problem...GM's market share is DOWN due to the loss of Chevy sales.
    Have sales for GM not seen in Hidden Content ? Hidden Content

Go Tigers!!!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member BBDOS CV8's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Holden Monaro (Barbados)

Quote Originally Posted by ausrutherford View Post
    Wait until the Asia/Pac figures come in for this year......

The first full year of results after the Dec '13 announcement of Holden closing - a sop to German unions. I'd estimate the black is draining out of the balance sheet and they haven't even really begun the wholesale redundancy process.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,224 Times in 1,376 Posts

Opel's sales gains show that there is a lot of room for Opel to grow when you consider Opel has an old lineup and the "new" Corsa is selling well even if it is not that "new". It does illustrate the fact that a properly positioned product will sell on "Value" even if it is not "leading edge".

The new Astra and Insignia are in the pipeline and Opel needs an updated Antara for growing compact SUV sales, and need to keep the Adam and Mokka fresh. Be interesting to see what the next gen Meriva and Zafira bring to market as well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Butz View Post
    Yes, Opel needs a version of the ATS for sales in Europe and implement the "Pontiac" strategy that was supposed to be implemented with Pontiac selling lower level trim Alpha and Cadillac offering the high end. This can work with Opel/Vauxhall offering Alpha based products feature/priced at or below entry level 3-Series since this market (low end to high end) is larger in Europe than it is in the U.S. where there are no real "entry level" offerings.

Thanks

Blockbuster winner in Europe is Jeep where the Renegade is grabbing market share by the handful.

Where is the GMC Granite?

Give the Granite and Terrain to Opel/Vauxhall dealers and they will experience a sales synergy where they will see a marked increase in dealer traffic of potential buyers of the new GMC Granite or Terrain but might end up buying an Opel/Vauxhall Mokka or Antara.

Bottom-line Opel/Vauxhall dealers have buyers come to the lot who would have never gone there before since they were not interested in a Mokka or Antara (or thought they weren't). Marketing 101 - attract more potential buyers with products focused at two or more demographics and give yourself Two (or Four) chances of making them owners.

Jeep is just getting started and can tell you that the Renegade, Cherokee and even Compass are increasing sales at a faster clip than even the Wrangler and Grand Cherokee in the U.S. and will continue to rocket up the sales charts in Europe. Time GM got off their butts and started fighting back with a brand that will actually sell in Europe given the right product (Granite and Terrain) and has a ready made distribution network that can increase sales by 100% with a few compelling "New to Market" products.

This is easy money.

Sox
    5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Ducati Multistrada

That's OK. We got rid of Chevy, but we retained the soccer team. Until 2021, IIRC. Maybe it's time to throw a half billion at a cricket team.

Thanks
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Those numbers had already gone.

Chevrolet/Daewoo sales for April were 2012-17,435, 2013-12,443, 2014-3,129

The withdrawal was announced in December 2013, no further factory orders were placed and existing stocks run down in a fire-sale by March 2014 - the dribble of sales after that being vehicles already in the supply chain at time of announcement.

21. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information