Opel shows off GT sports car but says a production version is not planned

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opel shows off GT sports car but says a production version is not planned

News Contributor Premium Member EJD1984's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,341 Times in 1,148 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Sierra

Automotive News Europe
    Nick Gibbs
    January 28, 2016

Opel/Vauxhall said its GT Concept that will be unveiled at the Geneva auto show is unlikely to go into production.

The GT Concept is “purely a concept study to show off innovations that may one day be found in an Opel production car,” a spokesman told Automotive News Europe.

“We will wait and see what the reaction is, but this is a niche segment that is shrinking in size. We would have to look at that very closely, but even if we were to decide in favor of building the car, it is certainly nothing that could already be on the market next year or the year after that,” the spokesman said.
    *Full Article at Link

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Grandsport

Re: Opel shows off GT sports car but says a production version is not planned

Why don't the just forget the concept cars to show off the innovations that may one day be found in production cars. Use the money spent on the concept that never going to be produced and spend it on putting those innovation on the production cars. That to me is a better idea.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Cobaltss_King's Avatar
    Thanks

So let me get this right. Holden is the only one going on record as saying they are getting a rwd coupe that's not a Camaro. Everyone else being Opel and Buick minus well get on board unless Holden ends up with a reskinned Camaro somehow.
    "More powerful, quicker and outright faster than a comparable BMW, Cadillac’s newest model is the best reason to skip the letter M and head all the way down the alphabet to V."
    Current Rides: 13’ Audi A3 Hatch TDI
    17’ Cadillac CT6 3.6
    16’ Cadillac ELR

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 PontiacBixler's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Pontiac G6 GT Coupe

OMG... kill it.
    What is happening to the GM that grew up with for these many decades? If I could I would institute a hostile take over and kick the entire board and executives out and fill the positions with creative minds under the age of 35.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PontiacBixler For This Useful Post:

DetroitIron (02-03-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 965 Posts
    My Ride
    です

Broken promises and exaggerated claims

News Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,851 Times in 734 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cobaltss_King View Post
    So let me get this right. Holden is the only one going on record as saying they are getting a rwd coupe that's not a Camaro. Everyone else being Opel and Buick minus well get on board unless Holden ends up with a reskinned Camaro somehow.
    Did they really, would you happen to have a link/source?
    GMI News Editor

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Sierra

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Accardi View Post
    Confirmed: Holden's next Monaro

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EJD1984 For This Useful Post:

Cobaltss_King (02-02-2016),GM Insider News (02-02-2016)

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 635 Posts

See: http://www.caradvice.com.au/329796/h...e-beyond-2017/

"The man who stands by his decision to close Holden’s Elizabeth, South Australia, plant in 2017, General Motors executive vice president of international operations Stefan Jacoby tonight confirmed the news.

“What we decided … is we will bring a Holden sports car in the near future,” Jacoby began.

“It will be something which truly fulfils the requirement of a true Holden sports car. We will bring a true sports car to Australia for the brand portfolio.

"Jacoby answered several questions thrown at him with clear answers: “no” it will not be called Monaro; “most likely, yes” it will have a V8 engine; “no” the model has not been seen yet, but it will be sold “globally”; and “no” it will not wear a Commodore nameplate."

"However senior executives at GM are on record saying mere badge engineering simply won’t work in this day and age – ruling out the possibility of a next Camaro simply wearing a Holden Lion."

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tone For This Useful Post:

Cobaltss_King (02-02-2016),GM Insider News (02-02-2016)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ausrutherford's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Focus

aka...Holden is getting the Avista.
    Have sales for GM not seen in Hidden Content ? Hidden Content

Go Tigers!!!

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Sierra

Quote Originally Posted by ausrutherford View Post
    aka...Holden is getting the Avista.
    That's exactly what I'm thinking.

Hopefully Opel will get a version as well.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to EJD1984 For This Useful Post:

GM Insider News (02-02-2016)

News Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,851 Times in 734 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EJD1984 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    See: http://www.caradvice.com.au/329796/h...e-beyond-2017/

"The man who stands by his decision to close Holden’s Elizabeth, South Australia, plant in 2017, General Motors executive vice president of international operations Stefan Jacoby tonight confirmed the news.

“What we decided … is we will bring a Holden sports car in the near future,” Jacoby began.

“It will be something which truly fulfils the requirement of a true Holden sports car. We will bring a true sports car to Australia for the brand portfolio.

"Jacoby answered several questions thrown at him with clear answers: “no” it will not be called Monaro; “most likely, yes” it will have a V8 engine; “no” the model has not been seen yet, but it will be sold “globally”; and “no” it will not wear a Commodore nameplate."

"However senior executives at GM are on record saying mere badge engineering simply won’t work in this day and age – ruling out the possibility of a next Camaro simply wearing a Holden Lion."
    Now I'm starting to get excited.

It's been said that future Holdens will come from China, so if Holden will be getting a RWD something that's not a Camaro can we start to speculate that GM could have something in the works with SAIC?

Holden gets their coupe, Opel gets something (probably Vauxhall too because lets face it the Camaro stands no chance against the Mustang in Europe) and Buick gets the Grand National back?

Interesting, thanks for the links guys.
    GMI News Editor

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Sierra

It's been said that future Holdens will come from China, so if Holden will be getting a RWD something that's not a Camaro can we start to speculate that GM could have something in the works with SAIC?

Holden gets their coupe, Opel gets something (probably Vauxhall too because lets face it the Camaro stands no chance against the Mustang in Europe) and Buick gets the Grand National back?

I think the name Grand National should stay in Buick’s history. The car was really the last vestige of the 1960s/70s muscle car era. It retrospect it was a good way to end.

In addition, I think the name Grand National has something of a brutish connotation. Whereas, Buick today is trying to be a sophisticated premium brand. And the name Avista (and Avenir) really evokes that.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to EJD1984 For This Useful Post:

Cobaltss_King (02-02-2016)

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 635 Posts

I think the name Grand National should stay in Buick’s history. The car was really the last vestige of the 1960s/70s muscle car era. It retrospect it was a good way to end.

In addition, I think the name Grand National has something of a brutish connotation. Whereas, Buick today is trying to be a sophisticated premium brand. And the name Avista (and Avenir) really evokes that.
    I still quite like GS or grandsport, though. That feels like a good name for a performance-oriented Buick.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Tone For This Useful Post:

KingElvis (02-03-2016)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member BBDOS CV8's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Holden Monaro (Barbados)

I wouldn't get excited.

Nope, nope and nope. Journos are stringing together answers from Stefan Teflon, various other people like the new MD at Holden (who is straight out of finance and probably doesn't know RWD from UPS). Lots of 'we're thinking about it' and 'maybe, could be' and 'perhaps'. Like GM were saying 'maybe we'll make the Avenir - er, no, we won't' and 'yup, the Avista is nice - but how about that Cascada, wow!'

Stefan is also on record stating 'I'm from Audi - we didn't see any advantage to RWD for performance' and 'the day of the V8 is over' and 'you can get 400hp from a 2 litre turbo soon' and 'we don't even need AWD'.

Read between the lines: Holden is getting the next gen Insignia coupe that is confirmed, with a 2 litre FWD layout IOW, the Regal GS with four-pot turbo, probably resurrecting the Calibra name, which actually got a niche, cult car status as AWD turbo models here.

I wouldn't believe anything he says - in truth, they are talking about Holden 'getting something by 2020' which is real crystal ball stuff. Opel may not even be in the GM fold by then. Bear in mind only months before they told us Holden was closed, I was told it definitely wasn't - they are making this stuff up as they go, like the model lineup.

The Mustang GT is $US30-something-K - here, it's $Au58K plus on roads, pushing it up to $65K once registered in most states. They've sold the first two years of 4,000 cars - not all presold, as widely reported.

That would probably put it at saturation point and 2018 they might sell 1,000. They aren't bringing it here to discount. Test so far are saying it's a great pony car - with cheap interior, some 'interesting' drive characteristics on our roads. At those prices, it's hard up against BMWs, Audis and Mercs (mostly leased) and the economics don't favour it. They'll sell some, it'll be a cult for sure. Enough to be viable longterm built RHD? Jury's out on that for at least two years. If it doesn't sell well in England.....

Can you really see the Gen VI Camaro, being virtually $US40K for anything decent, selling enough cars to make it worthwhile? If the Gen V didn't made in volume in Oshawa then Gen VI or any Alpha like Avists doesn't seem likely for the minimal, perhaps 3-digit numbers it'd sell in here. With the Au dollar floating at US70c, GM would have to sell for less than $63K tax included, or it'll attract Luxury Car Tax of 33% - bumping prices into the $80K range. That's double what you can buy a VF SS Commodore for.

2b2
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 2b2's Avatar
    Thanks

...Hopefully Opel will get a version as well.
    I'd like to see it (whatever it is) marketed globally as a (or THE) HOLDEN

they can use whichever sales-channel is best for each continent
    re: EV styling
    "...like a bunch of 1960's Citroen designers would do given LSD and a room full of Pokemon....in a good sort of way"
    Hidden Content best fanboy def Ever
    " 4: Oh. My. God!!! My favorite shade of white!!!!! "

24. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information