Opel sales are up, but.........

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Opel sales are up, but.........

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Opel sales are up, but.........

This year, Opel wanted to write black figures again for the first time in a long time. A sales increase was the main goal. And that is happening: the firm in Rüsselsheim (Germany) regularly report rising sales: In November Opel sold 19,300 cars, the market share in Germany rose to around seven percent.

However, the success is mainly based on self-registrations. This is the result of a study by the Center of Automotive Research (CAR) reported by the newspaper Handelsblatt. According to them, this year almost every second sold Opel was registered to the manufacturer, its dealer or a rental firm.
    These cars can later be sold as young used cars with high discounts. This drives the sales figures upwards, but the profit decreases. According to the study, no other German manufacturer has such a high quota of self-registrations as Opel.

The text above is based on a google translation, slightly edited for grammar and such. The original article, in German, is found here.

Self-registration is fairly common in Germany. But these figures from Opel are really bad. The article further notices the negative impact Brexit has on profitability.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,070 Times in 1,900 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Cadillac CT6

Re: Opel sales are up, but.........

we'll see how this plays out. Considering they were in the red before, I don't mind them selling to fleets and rental firms to get in the black. Become profitable first before refining the business

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,649 Times in 3,699 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

How does Opel account for shared platform costs with Buick Chevrolet and the rest of the GM world? I am curious. I think Opel is GM's tax cheating option.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 2,488 Times in 1,882 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by jalberda View Post
    This year, Opel wanted to write black figures again for the first time in a long time. A sales increase was the main goal. And that is happening: the firm in Rüsselsheim (Germany) regularly report rising sales: In November Opel sold 19,300 cars, the market share in Germany rose to around seven percent.

However, the success is mainly based on self-registrations. This is the result of a study by the Center of Automotive Research (CAR) reported by the newspaper Handelsblatt. According to them, this year almost every second sold Opel was registered to the manufacturer, its dealer or a rental firm.
    These cars can later be sold as young used cars with high discounts. This drives the sales figures upwards, but the profit decreases. According to the study, no other German manufacturer has such a high quota of self-registrations as Opel.

The text above is based on a google translation, slightly edited for grammar and such. The original article, in German, is found here.

Self-registration is fairly common in Germany. But these figures from Opel are really bad. The article further notices the negative impact Brexit has on profitability.
    Self-registration in one form or another is common in the UK as well, particularly among the mainstream brands - unlike the premium brands, few retail customers for mainstream brands order cars for factory-build with their own choice of options preferring to choose from available "delivery mileage only" pre-registered cars in the colour/model they want. The premium brands play the game as well by having wide-ranging "management car" schemes open to a wide range of affinity groups, not just their managers!

As long as it's not a succession of one-off dumping, the continuous succession of cars being built and leaving the factory are still "sales" in the long term.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,488 Times in 1,882 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    How does Opel account for shared platform costs with Buick Chevrolet and the rest of the GM world? I am curious. I think Opel is GM's tax cheating option.
    Depends whether GM wants Opel to make a taxable profit or not - like all multi-nationals, the head office controls the charges put on subsidiaries and they use that as a strategic tax/profit manipulation.

Other than the consolidated accounts for the whole of GM, published accounts for each division mean whatever GM wants them to mean - but as I said, no different to any othe multi-national regardless of where head office is based.

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information