Opel Mokka rolls off the production line in Zaragoza

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Opel Mokka rolls off the production line in Zaragoza

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member Toto's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Opel Corsa GSI

Opel Mokka rolls off the production line in Zaragoza

Opel Media Online
    2014-09-12

- Spanish King Felipe VI guest of honor at official start of production
    - Investment secures around 5,700 jobs at the Spanish plant
    - Already more than 275,000 orders for the successful sub-compact SUV

Ruesselsheim/Zaragoza. The successful subcompact SUV Opel Mokka is now manufactured in Europe: Today, Opel celebrated the official start of production in Zaragoza, Spain. Guest of honor at the ceremony was the Spanish King Felipe VI.

“Today is a good day for us. Producing the Mokka in Zaragoza helps us to better utilize our capacities in Europe and to serve our customers more quickly,” says Michael Lohscheller, Chief Financial Officer of the Opel Group. “Demand for the Mokka remains huge: we have received more than 275,000 orders since its market launch in the summer of 2012. This has made the SUV our third most important model within just two years. The Mokka embodies the appeal of our newest models and our brand’s comeback.”

In total, Opel plans to invest nearly 210 million Euros this year in the important Spanish manufacturing site. Last year 168 million Euros were invested. To make the Zaragoza plant ready for the Mokka production Opel invested 80 million in the initial phase. Since the opening of the plant in 1982 the investment totaled more than 4.3 billion Euros.

Manufacturing the sub-compact SUV in Spain will secure the around 5,700 jobs in the plant there. In addition to the Mokka, the Opel Corsa and Meriva models are also built in Zaragoza. With the fifth generation of the Corsa there will be another important production start this year.

The Zaragoza plant readied itself for the Mokka’s start of production in record time. After all, it was just one year ago that the decision to produce the car in Europe was announced.

The challenges this posed were mastered thanks to excellent international collaboration within General Motors. Up until now, the Mokka was produced solely in South Korea.

Manufacturing will start with CKD (Completely Knocked Down) parts kits from Korea, and then the amount of locally produced parts will be increased step by step in the coming years. “Producing the Mokka here is in line with our company philosophy to build cars where we sell them,” explains Michael Lohscheller. “This year, around 20,000 Mokka will roll off the assembly line in Zaragoza. Next year this number will increase considerably”.

The Opel Mokka has been a real success right from its introduction. The stylish SUV has won over experts and customers alike. In both 2013 and 2014, readers of the automotive magazine Auto Bild voted the Mokka “All-wheel Drive Car of the Year” in the category “Off-road vehicles and SUVs under 25,000 euros”.

“The Mokka is a key part of our large model offensive,” says Lohscheller. “To 2018, we will introduce 27 new cars and 17 new engines as we grow our market share step by step.”

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Toto For This Useful Post:

SierraGS (10-11-2014)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 mchicha's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    a car

Re: Opel Mokka rolls off the production line in Zaragoza

Nice. This is a good move for the European market.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

l like the AWD Mokka, it will be a nice little earner for Opel the way to go sunny days.

Mokka sales were up +62.4% in July in Europe well above the +5.8% average car sale rises for the month.
    Last edited by Oldsmobile stopped; 09-12-2014 at 01:16 PM.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC GMSilverado's Avatar
    Thanks

A news quite nice! Guaranteed jobs to thousands of people, Opel may respond better to demand excellent Mokka, but also allows the company to better use its manufacturing capacity in Europe and accelerate its path to profitability.

It is also good news for the American market, because while the Spanish plant increases production Mokka, the South Korean will be able to produce more units of the Buick Encore and respond faster to good demand that the model also has in North America.

Cadillac's strategy to restructure and fill the gaps in its portfolio | 2018-2021: Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,896 Times in 1,346 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

good to hear but I am curious as to why they describe the spanish site as "IMPORTANT" IE was it a BIG money looser because of LOW production OR is it an over the top quality site OR "friendlier" cost centre then say Germany?
    also I wonder if Canada will get the Orlando again as GM says the Orlando was constrained due to Capacity "issues" in Korea and part why the Trax is made in Mexico for the US market

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member BBDOS CV8's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Holden Monaro (Barbados)

Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    good to hear but I am curious as to why they describe the spanish site as "IMPORTANT" IE was it a BIG money looser because of LOW production OR is it an over the top quality site OR "friendlier" cost centre then say Germany?
    also I wonder if Canada will get the Orlando again as GM says the Orlando was constrained due to Capacity "issues" in Korea and part why the Trax is made in Mexico for the US market
    Thus far they've mostly let it build subpar product - the Corsa B, which we got as a Barina was very rough and ready, plus the Combo light commercial van built off the Corsa. Spain is a low cost centre - whether they can keep the quality? If it's a new plant it should be more modern bots which cuts a lot of manual labour out . Paint used to be a real problem. Corsa Bs looked old in a year.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BBDOS CV8 For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (09-12-2014)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Great news!
    Extra capacity for this vehicle is terrific because it represents a growing market, namely smaller crossovers, as opposed to sedans, coupes and big vehicles.
    I hope Spain builds a better quality vehicle. I understand the ones from South Korea have not been great. I didn't even know that the NA Trax was being built in Mexico. All I knew was that those at the office and elsewhere who own them have been having a lot of problems. Not good.
    Hopefully, extra capacity will allow them to offer a more powerful engine in another year, such as the 1.6T. The Mokka/Trax/Encore really needs it.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,896 Times in 1,346 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Quote Originally Posted by sean975 View Post
    Great news!
    Extra capacity for this vehicle is terrific because it represents a growing market, namely smaller crossovers, as opposed to sedans, coupes and big vehicles.
    I hope Spain builds a better quality vehicle. I understand the ones from South Korea have not been great. I didn't even know that the NA Trax was being built in Mexico. All I knew was that those at the office and elsewhere who own them have been having a lot of problems. Not good.
    Hopefully, extra capacity will allow them to offer a more powerful engine in another year, such as the 1.6T. The Mokka/Trax/Encore really needs it.
    I believe the Canadian TRAX is from Korea but moved to Mexico for US/CDN sales

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

This is pretty much the Encore in the U.S., right?
    "The only normal people are the ones you don't know well". unknown

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 Equinox LT AWD

Wait a minute...the article shows a picture of King Philipe signing a Mokka...so if a Mokka is an SUV, why is he signing a sedan?

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar zl-1's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 63impala View Post
    Wait a minute...the article shows a picture of King Philipe signing a Mokka...so if a Mokka is an SUV, why is he signing a sedan?
    That's the Mokka's/Encore's front end

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member paul8488's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,403 Posts
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

I'm back in France for two weeks and seeing them everywhere. At first I wasn't sold on this type of vehicle, but I think I see the attraction. I really can't wait to see the Chevrolet Niva, because I was always a fan of the Tracker and Sidekick.
    Automotive stories and pictures for the rest of us:

Hidden Content

GTC
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

OPEL MOKKA 1.6CDTI ANNOUNCED, WILL DEBUT IN PARIS

New enginge is more powerful & fuel efficient than the previous 1.7-liter unit

Opel has unveiled the Mokka 1.6 CDTI, ahead of its debut at the Paris Motor Show.
    Set to go on sale early next year, the model features an all-new 1.6-liter turbodiesel engine that produces 136 PS (100 kW) and 320 Nm (236 lb-ft) of torque. This will enable the crossover to accelerate from 0-100 km/h in 9.9 seconds and hit a top speed of 191 km/h (118 mph). When connected to a six-speed manual transmission, the model averages 4.1 L/100km (57.3 mpg US / 68.8 mpg UK) with CO2 emissions of 109 g/km.
    To put those numbers into perspective, the new 1.6-liter CDTI engine has 6 PS (4 kW) and 20 Nm (14 lb-ft) more than the outgoing 1.7-liter CDTI unit. The new engine also consumes 0.5 l/100 km less fuel and has CO2 emissions which are 11 g/km lower.
    Source: Opel

18. The Following User Says Thank You to GTC For This Useful Post:

SierraGS (10-11-2014)

19. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information