Opel May car sales nosedive down -20% in Germany

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Opel May car sales nosedive down -20% in Germany

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Opel May car sales nosedive down -20% in Germany

FRANKFURT (Reuters) -- German passenger-car registrations fell by 6.7 percent to 256,400 vehicles in May, the German motor transport authority (KBA) said on Tuesday in a month that had two fewer business days than May, 2014.

Adjusted sales rose by almost 4 percent, the VDA industry association said in a statement. The German market is doing better than expected, VDA President Matthias Wissmann said in the statement.

Five-month vehicle sales in Europe's biggest market are up 3.6 percent to 1.3 million. Equity researchers Evercore ISI forecasts that full-year sales will increase by 2.5 percent. Last year 3.04 million new cars were sold in Germany.

“Sentiment [among German dealers] is generally strong. We expect some seasonal moderation moving into summer mode but that's normal,” Evercore ISI analyst Arndt Ellinghorst said in an note to investors.

Among winners in May were Mitsubishi, whose sales jumped 83 percent, Daimler’s Smart brand, which sold 70 percent more vehicles, and Jeep whose volume rose 52 percent thanks to the new Renegade subcompact SUV.

Market leader Volkswagen's registrations fell 3.8 percent while Opel sales slumped 20 percent. Sales of Ford vehicles declined by 17.5 percent. Among premium brands, BMW's volume dropped 9.1 percent while Audi sales fell 13 percent. Mercedes-Benz registrations were down 2.4 percent.

• Download PDF, above right, for Germany car sales by brand for May and 5 months.

LINK

What went wrong in Germany last month Rupert? Nice to Jeep sales up +52% though doing well.
    OLDSMOBILE - "Start Something"

100 MPG Chevrolet Silverado E-REV - Fleets only still waiting.
    Hidden Content
    Cut the dependance on Arab oil, cut the trade deficit in foreign oil.

Life is to short - drive live your dream

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Oldsmobile stopped For This Useful Post:

Butz (06-06-2015)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,488 Times in 1,882 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Re: Opel May car sales nosedive down -20% in Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Oldsmobile stopped View Post
    What went wrong in Germany last month Rupert? Nice to Jeep sales up +52% though doing well.
    The Eurozone has never fully recovered from the global financial crisis and the Greece issue is affecting business confidence, especially in Germany. That's the problem with Germany being the so-called "power-house" of Europe as they feel the effect whenever any country in the Eurozone has a crisis.

Opel dropping 20% and Ford dropping 17.5% indicates to me that switch away from mainstream brands to premium or niche brands is continuing - as it has for 4 decades to my knowledge. Opel/Vauxhall need more niche models.

Thanks

I wonder if this is a sign of things to come.
    AWD wagons
    The Opel Astra and VW Scirocco need to be in North America.
    Feeling Good by David Burns

How Greece voted NO to austerity:
    Hidden Content

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,656 Times in 3,704 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

The economy has not recovered.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fakeout View Post
    I wonder if this is a sign of things to come.
    Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    The economy has not recovered.
    I think the economy has recovered (especially in Germany, the EU powerhouse), but overall this is a sign of things to come. With the advanced European public transport infrastructure and cheap prices (except UK) there are less and less reasons to own a car in many European cities, and less families own two cars these days. Add increased car durability/reliability, and you get low car sales volume. EU is a saturated market, hardly any scope for growth.
    Last edited by GolfBravo; 06-06-2015 at 05:02 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ruperts Trooper View Post
    Opel/Vauxhall need more niche models.
    As every struggling brand they need more CUVs. I don't think niche models would improve Opel sales - the public wants the 'proper' badge on a new leased car.
    How GM kills Cadillac's global image, read here:Hidden Content
    I wasn't around during Cadillac's last heyday, so this is the first time I've ever written the following words: The car to beat, the best car in its class, is a Cadillac. You're done playing offense, Cadillac. I hope you can learn how to play defense.
    'MEN's JOURNAL'

10. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information