Opel CEO talks new EV, will likely be fresh face for Chevy, too

  1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

    Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!
     
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: Opel CEO talks new EV, will likely be fresh face for Chevy, too

  1. #1
    News Contributor Premium Member EJD1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    5,461
    Thanks
    1,142
    Thanked 2,341 Times in 1,148 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Sierra

    Opel CEO talks new EV, will likely be fresh face for Chevy, too

    Opel CEO talks new EV, will likely be fresh face for Chevy, too
    Autoblog Green
    By Sebastian Blanco
    Jul 23rd 2014

    Opel CEO Karl-Thomas Neumann has been busy Tweeting information about the brand's next plug-in vehicle, admitting that the Ampera is on the way out but that plug-in vehicles are here to stay.

    After the eventual run-out of the current generation Ampera, we'll introduce a successor product in the electric vehicle segment. Our next electric vehicle will be part of our massive product offensive – with 27 new vehicles in the 2014-2018 time frame.

    Official spokespeople are being quiet, but we think it's safe to say the new EV Neumann is talking about is not simply a rebadged Chevy Spark EV. This is the first official word about an entirely new EV, and we expect it will come to both the Chevrolet and Opel brands.

    *Full Article at Link

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    960
    Thanks
    100
    Thanked 221 Times in 125 Posts

    Re: Opel CEO talks new EV, will likely be fresh face for Chevy, too

    Rak-e production version ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opel_RAK_e

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to uvikrama For This Useful Post:

    cone-A (07-24-2014)

  5. #3
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3,366
    Thanks
    218
    Thanked 799 Times in 616 Posts

    Re: Opel CEO talks new EV, will likely be fresh face for Chevy, too

    "The rumored demise of the Opel Ampera has been confirmed, but there's good news, too. Opel CEO Karl-Thomas Neumann has been busy Tweeting information about the brand's next plug-in vehicle, admitting that the Ampera is on the way out but that plug-in vehicles are here to stay. His Tweets, in full, read:

    "After the eventual run-out of the current generation Ampera, we'll introduce a successor product in the electric vehicle segment".

    We see eMobility as important part of the mobility of tomorrow and we will continue to drive down costs & deliver affordability.

    As we learned earlier this week, the Ampera will not be refreshed when the current Chevy Volt is updated, most likely because of slow sales. Opel sold just 332 Amperas in the first five months of 2014. For now, General Motors is still building Amperas in Michigan for export to Europe"








    It's seems like Opel CEO Karl-Thomas Neumann is gloating over the failure of the Chevrolet Volt in Europe in his tweets, l find that sad, will he be any more capable at shifting EV's as a CEO? if it Opel German designed and made he might have an interest in selling them, will RHD UK get a LHD only option this time around - l think not if its a German made/designed product, it will be RHD from the first second it arrives in the UK if the gloating Opel CEO Karl-Thomas Neumann has anything to do with it this time around if the EV is born and bred in Germany.

    Europeans don't want rebranded Chevys badged as Opels the Ampera should have been a lesson in that it taints the car, they want a American made based Chevy Spark EV sold as a small Cadillac to maximise profits through Opel/Vauxhall network its as simple as that.

    Chevrolet Volt launch in the US was cocked up it should have been launched as a Cadillac that matched income to status to expensive E-REV world class cutting edge car technology better, when technology become cheaper with time only then feed it down the food chain, GM are doing everything upside down the wrong way..

    It then got cocked up again in Europe, General Motors biggest single market in the Europe RHD UK got LHD only Volt that would guarantee 0 sales for anybody that done that in the UK, RHD Vauxhall UK makes up accounts for nearly 50% of GM sales some months, LHD Volt ensure an epic Volt sales failure th of which only 2 out 106 Chevy were daft enough to tool up to become authorised Chevy Volt dealers, just have 2 Chevy Volt UK dealers in GM's biggest market in Europe and fitting the steering wheel on the incorrect side of the car LHD drive would only guarantee 0 sales for anybody daft enough to try it for any car company.

    GM then realising the had cocked up changed it to the Opel Ampera hoping nobody would notice. Where General Motor cocked up is they try to treat the Europeans like mushrooms feed them BS like this rebadged Chevy Spark, the buyers are not daft Germans & France the No2 & No3 markets for GM are very nationalistic want it built in their country to accept it, RHD British GM No1 market in Europe are cosmopolitan buyers prefer American branded cars but won't touch anything thats sent LHD, it will guarantee 0 sales for anybody that tries it.

    Snakes & Ladders Europe.
    Only absolute way to make a success of expensive EV technology at GM sell them in big numbers is launch it as a small Cadillac maybe on the Spark platform with a different purpose made EV like the Nissan Leaf but it would better match buyers income to car than a Leaf, but GM have cocked up at square one on the snakes and ladder board, so it come as a Chevy Spark to the EU and Opel glue their badge on the grille that won't fool the French or Germans first question they will ask is "where is it made" Germany or France if its shipped in from USA or South Korea its down the snakes not up the ladders for General Motors, if its cheap enough it might be up a small ladder in Germany & France.

    If it's LHD only offered for the RHD Brits it's a massive ladder back to square 0 where it will remain 0 sales for GM forever more not leaving the square 0. Sell it in LHD/RHD and a cheap price it will be a massive ladder up in Netherlands, Scandinavia and the UK, make it South Korea it will be big ladder down in the UK again as Brits would prefer it to be a USA made Chevy Spark rather than a Korean made Opel Spark. Make it a RHD USA Chevy Spark Brits would snap up ever one GM could deliver a big ladder to the top square.

    Opel have pulled up the draw bridge on the Opel snobs at the money pit have now become a separate entity, and locked Chevy/Cadillac outside on the wrong side of the moat to ensure they stay out of Europe get killed off can't ever get established in Europe which is a very big shame. Where this is made and sourced from, which brand will get it brands badge will be on the grille will make all the difference to whether this sells or is another epic failure of awesome technology that should have been an EU leader not an epic fail like the Volt was in snakes and ladders Europe.
    Last edited by Oldsmobile stopped; 07-24-2014 at 03:50 AM.

  6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  7. #4
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 RedVee8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Gilead, NSW Australia
    Posts
    6,881
    Thanks
    1,102
    Thanked 197 Times in 149 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 VF Calais "Heron White"

    Re: Opel CEO talks new EV, will likely be fresh face for Chevy, too

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldsmobile stopped View Post
    Europeans don't want rebranded Chevys badged as Opels the Ampera should have been a lesson in that it taints the car, they want a American made based Chevy Spark EV sold as a small Cadillac to maximise profits through Opel/Vauxhall network its as simple as that.

    Chevrolet Volt launch in the US was cocked up it should have been launched as a Cadillac that matched income to status to expensive E-REV world class cutting edge car technology better, when technology become cheaper with time only then feed it down the food chain, GM are doing everything upside down the wrong way..

    It then got cocked up again in Europe, General Motors biggest single market in the Europe RHD UK got LHD only Volt that would guarantee 0 sales for anybody that done that in the UK, RHD Vauxhall UK makes up accounts for nearly 50% of GM sales some months, LHD Volt ensure an epic Volt sales failure th of which only 2 out 106 Chevy were daft enough to tool up to become authorised Chevy Volt dealers, just have 2 Chevy Volt UK dealers in GM's biggest market in Europe and fitting the steering wheel on the incorrect side of the car LHD drive would only guarantee 0 sales for anybody daft enough to try it for any car company.

    GM then realising the had cocked up changed it to the Opel Ampera hoping nobody would notice. Where General Motor cocked up is they try to treat the Europeans like mushrooms feed them BS like this rebadged Chevy Spark, the buyers are not daft Germans & France the No2 & No3 markets for GM are very nationalistic want it built in their country to accept it, RHD British GM No1 market in Europe are cosmopolitan buyers prefer American branded cars but won't touch anything thats sent LHD, it will guarantee 0 sales for anybody that tries it.

    Snakes & Ladders Europe.
    Only absolute way to make a success of expensive EV technology at GM sell them in big numbers is launch it as a small Cadillac maybe on the Spark platform with a different purpose made EV like the Nissan Leaf but it would better match buyers income to car than a Leaf, but GM have cocked up at square one on the snakes and ladder board, so it come as a Chevy Spark to the EU and Opel glue their badge on the grille that won't fool the French or Germans first question they will ask is "where is it made" Germany or France if its shipped in from USA or South Korea its down the snakes not up the ladders for General Motors, if its cheap enough it might be up a small ladder in Germany & France.

    If it's LHD only offered for the RHD Brits it's a massive ladder back to square 0 where it will remain 0 sales for GM forever more not leaving the square 0. Sell it in LHD/RHD and a cheap price it will be a massive ladder up in Netherlands, Scandinavia and the UK, make it South Korea it will be big ladder down in the UK again as Brits would prefer it to be a USA made Chevy Spark rather than a Korean made Opel Spark. Make it a RHD USA Chevy Spark Brits would snap up ever one GM could deliver a big ladder to the top square.

    Opel have pulled up the draw bridge on the Opel snobs at the money pit have now become a separate entity, and locked Chevy/Cadillac outside on the wrong side of the moat to ensure they stay out of Europe get killed off can't ever get established in Europe which is a very big shame. Where this is made and sourced from, which brand will get it brands badge will be on the grille will make all the difference to whether this sells or is another epic failure of awesome technology that should have been an EU leader not an epic fail like the Volt was in snakes and ladders Europe.
    Are you sure the UK only got LHD Volts? That's just daft, especially when you consider Chev were building RHD Volts for Holden.
    Current Holdens.
    VH Commodore Vacationer 253 V8; AH Astra CDX 1.8; VF Calais 3.6V6
    plus U12 Nissan Pintara SuperHatch.
    Previous Holdens.
    69 HT Kingswood 186; 75 HJ Premier 202; 77 TC Gemini; 85 JD Camira SL/E 1.8i; CG06 Captiva LX 3.2V6, CG09 Captiva LX 3.2V6, 2012 VEII Commodore SV6 3.6sidi.

    Keep Holden On.

    Hidden Content
    St George Illawarra, Ibanez AEB10E-BK, Feider PBass, Challenger Bass
    4StringsGood

  8. #5
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Augsburg, Bavaria, Germany, Planet Earth
    Posts
    194
    Thanks
    129
    Thanked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    My Ride
    Insignia ST/2011/brown

    Re: Opel CEO talks new EV, will likely be fresh face for Chevy, too


  9. #6
    Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Wagga NSW
    Posts
    12,341
    Thanks
    604
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,532 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

    Re: Opel CEO talks new EV, will likely be fresh face for Chevy, too

    Quote Originally Posted by cone-A View Post
    That's an Ampera not a Volt

    Oldsmobile was talking about RHD Chev Volts in the UK which there are none
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

    I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

  10. #7
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3,366
    Thanks
    218
    Thanked 799 Times in 616 Posts

    Re: Opel CEO talks new EV, will likely be fresh face for Chevy, too

    Quote Originally Posted by VS Ute 5Litre View Post
    That's an Ampera not a Volt

    Oldsmobile was talking about RHD Chev Volts in the UK which there are none
    They started with just LHD Volts only in the UK, that was a instant big fail GM then realised that they had cocked up big time as small network Chevy 106 UK dealers selling mainly RHD Korean made Aveo's Sparks & Cruzes could not afford the expensive tooling for LHD Volts that nobody was buying, they had just 2 outlets capable of servicing the the LHD Chevy Volt that ensured sales never made it into double digit sales at any time.

    So GM realising knowing they cocked up big time they them rebranded the Volt as a Ampere to pull in more sales at the massive network of Opel Vauxhall network of dealerships instead who could afford to tool up for the Ampere. Once they started making the Ampere for the UK they arrived in RHD, once the RHD Ampere arrived the started to offer RHD Volts as well in the UK as well, as far as l am aware their are still only 2 Chevy dealers are still only capable of servicing Chevy Volts in the UK, but it was to late anyway, most of the 106 Chevy dealers have gone out of business, changed to Skoda or just have an empty space in left in a Opel/Vauxhall dealers, and Korean Chevy are not leaving Europe until next year.

    UK Chevrolet sales were just 23 last month that for Aveo to Trax all models, and Chevy UK is just about to start about to launch a massive $557 million advertising campaign in the UK with Chevrolet sponsoring the Manchester United football team starting in August when the new soccer season starts, which is another massive GM ****-up as most of the Chevy UK dealers are long gone packed their bags and selling Skoda's instead at ex Chevy UK dealers. If want spares for the Aveo or Cruze in the future it's a 5 hour drive up to the Manchester Bauer-Millett mafia ghetto if you typically live in London in the future, that 1 UK dealer that imports LHD USA Cadillac & LHD USA Chevys into the UK for your Aveo, Spark Korean made spares that cost a fortune, its not hard to see why Chevy UK sales dropped to 23 last month.

    AUTO EXPRESS
    Vauxhall-Opel’s CEO has confirmed the company is planning a successor to the slow-selling Ampera electric range-extender car, and a new entry-level city car set to cost around £7,000. Bosses have previously told us it’ll be badged Viva.

    Meanwhile the Opel boss quashed rumours that Opel would spawn a complete low-budget range to fight Dacia and Datsun. ‘Opel will not move into the low-budget segment’, Neumann clarified. “We will leave this to others!”
    [/B]
    LINK

    Ooops he has changed his mind again, yesterday they were coming today they are not LOL.

    Opels is doing budget cars YES NO YES NO YES NO Mmmm

    Sometimes l think GM Europe are being run by a complete bunch of idiots.
    Last edited by Oldsmobile stopped; 07-24-2014 at 06:07 AM.

  11. #8
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8 voyager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Posts
    3,941
    Thanks
    119
    Thanked 463 Times in 329 Posts
    My Ride
    Guzzi Monza Alfa Romeo 156SW

    Re: Opel CEO talks new EV, will likely be fresh face for Chevy, too

    Quote Originally Posted by uvikrama View Post
    Rak-e production version ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opel_RAK_e
    That is an interesting concept. But I could not quite figure out how it goes around corners. The youtube films I saw show a slow-moving RAKe. My point being, that it should actually have to lean to prevent it from tipping over.

    Last edited by voyager; 07-24-2014 at 05:10 AM.
    Hidden Content GeneratinGMobilizing
    Hidden Content

  12. #9
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3,366
    Thanks
    218
    Thanked 799 Times in 616 Posts

    Re: Opel CEO talks new EV, will likely be fresh face for Chevy, too

    Quote Originally Posted by voyager View Post
    That is an interesting concept. But I could not quite figure out how it goes around corners. The youtube films I saw show a slow-moving RAKe. My point being, that it should actually have to lean to prevent it from tipping over.

    Looks like a total death trap to me, l guess Mary Barra does not want that death toll to rise to spend anymore time in courts. Probably buy a nice Harley as well with a lot of change in the back pocket.
    Last edited by Oldsmobile stopped; 07-24-2014 at 06:30 AM.

  13. #10
    3.0 Liter SIDI V6 Jkujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    621
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 187 Times in 56 Posts
    My Ride
    16 Sierra Dbl Cab Cardinal Red

    Re: Opel CEO talks new EV, will likely be fresh face for Chevy, too

    With the Voltec, what is needed is not a sedan, but a small CUV that can actually do something other than barely fit 4 adults. I'm talking like Encore/Trax sized. That is the one of the biggest growth areas in the automotive market. Build that, price it competitively (maybe a few $K more than a comparable), ACTUALLY MARKET THE VEHICLE (Still waiting to hear about the ELR, most do not even know it really exists). Then you may have something there.

  14. #11
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8 posaune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Stafford, Virginia
    Posts
    3,758
    Thanks
    1,322
    Thanked 1,428 Times in 910 Posts

    Re: Opel CEO talks new EV, will likely be fresh face for Chevy, too

    Quote Originally Posted by voyager View Post
    That is an interesting concept. But I could not quite figure out how it goes around corners. The youtube films I saw show a slow-moving RAKe. My point being, that it should actually have to lean to prevent it from tipping over.

    If that was registered as a motorcycle and had a large enough range, I would consider it...depending on price.

    Interestingly enough, Harley is planning an electric motorcycle.
    Join the Code 130R Facebook Group! Hidden Content

    "Trying to be the world's fastest trombonist is like trying to be the world's tallest midget."
    Alan Raph, NYC Bass Trombonist

  15. #12
    6.0 Liter L76 V8 yamahr1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,083
    Thanks
    159
    Thanked 905 Times in 334 Posts

    Re: Opel CEO talks new EV, will likely be fresh face for Chevy, too

    I'm really very surprised that the Ampera did not catch on in Europe. Seems like the perfect market for it.

  16. #13
    2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    960
    Thanks
    100
    Thanked 221 Times in 125 Posts

    Re: Opel CEO talks new EV, will likely be fresh face for Chevy, too

    Quote Originally Posted by posaune View Post
    If that was registered as a motorcycle and had a large enough range, I would consider it...depending on price.

    Interestingly enough, Harley is planning an electric motorcycle.
    Instead of Rak-e as in concept, they can come up with some thing like T Rex ( http://www.campagnamotors.com/ ) 2 seats on front , total 4 wheels ( concept from rak-e ), etc and make more safe like cars.


  17. #14
    3.6 Liter SIDI V6 ogg vorbis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    1,075
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 41 Times in 31 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Cadillac ATS 2.0T

    Re: Opel CEO talks new EV, will likely be fresh face for Chevy, too

    The spark will never fly as an opel. The Corsa is a good candidate. The Adam is up market enough, and light enough; a great city car. The Astra is the same platform as the Volt, and natural choice. They might as well put Voltec 2.0 in the Insignia; it has more interior room, will weigh close to the current Volt, and the wagon has better aero to boot. Aluminum closures and some other lightweighting measures, and you have a premium EV worth its price.

    The Volt was rushed through development. Volt 2.0 should be a much nicer, and sorted out car.

  18. #15
    Sox
    Sox is offline
    5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Canada, eh?
    Posts
    1,380
    Thanks
    149
    Thanked 786 Times in 433 Posts
    My Ride
    Ducati Multistrada

    Re: Opel CEO talks new EV, will likely be fresh face for Chevy, too

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldsmobile stopped View Post
    Sometimes l think GM Europe are being run by a complete bunch of idiots.
    That's surprising. GM executives are universally brilliant on this side of the pond.

  19. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2