New Top Diesel Engine for Opel Insignia

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Top Diesel Engine for Opel Insignia

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member Toto's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Opel Corsa GSI

New Top Diesel Engine for Opel Insignia

The newly designed 2.0-liter diesel engine produces 154 kW/210 hp at 4,000 rpm and develops strong torque of 480 Nm/354 lbf ft from only 1,500 rpm thanks to sequential two-stage turbocharging. The top-of-the-line engine always comes in combination with a smooth-shifting eight-speed automatic transmission and all-wheel drive with torque vectoring. The newcomer will celebrate its world premiere at the Frankfurt International Motor Show (September 14-24).

Source: Opel
    Last edited by Toto; 09-05-2017 at 11:51 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Toto For This Useful Post:

SierraGS (09-06-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,488 Times in 1,882 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Re: New Top Diesel Engine for Opel Insignia

Economy and emissions are poor - with a Combined NEDC consumption of 6.9 litres/100km and CO2 of 183 g/km - worse than many of the more powerful 3.0 V6 diesels in big SUVs.

Seems strange for a brand new engine but those are the figures in the link to the Opel press release.

By comparison the Jaguar XF 2.0 I4 with 240 bhp 4wd automatic is 5.5 and 144.
    Last edited by Ruperts Trooper; 09-05-2017 at 12:11 PM.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member Toto's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Opel Corsa GSI

Quote Originally Posted by Ruperts Trooper View Post
    Economy and emissions are poor - with a Combined NEDC consumption of 6.9 litres/100km and CO2 of 183 g/km - worse than many of the more powerful 3.0 V6 diesels in big SUVs.

Seems strange for a brand new engine but those are the figures in the link to the Opel press release.

Cheaters. Booooooo!

j/k

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Toto For This Useful Post:

61BelAir (09-05-2017)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar 61BelAir's Avatar
    Thanks

Maybe Jaguar has the magic VW software?

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,650 Times in 3,700 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion
    I am very suspicious of Diesels generally.
    I think for U.S.A GM did its homework and produced complaint small diesels from an emmissions standpoint.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Emissions are high your absolutely right, means Merkel's EU will make sure it will be taxed off the roads of Europe.

At least Opel group will have access to some really decent little PSA Peugeot Citroen engines like the superb little 1.2-litre three-cylinder gasoline turbo, thats the future what Europeans can afford to fill-up at $9 a gallon when 3/4 of a tank at fill-up government taxes, and the PSA diesels are bomb proof as well. How much will Mr Kahn the Major of London be charging you to drive a diesel in London the future Rupert? just interested.

A lot of European carmakers are phasing out diesels, all new Renault model won't have a diesel option offering when new models are replaced or updated, as most countries will end up banning diesel from city centres or clobbering them with massive taxes to drive in urban environments. A great engine but its arrived out of date not compliant with future city centre bans and huge taxes that are coming to diesel in the EU..

The way to go, l hope Opel get to use these great little PSA engines in their cars as well, it will help to boost sales not ego's at Opel Group that nobody will be able to by or run in Europe.
    OLDSMOBILE - "Start Something"

100 MPG Chevrolet Silverado E-REV - Fleets only still waiting.
    Hidden Content
    Cut the dependance on Arab oil, cut the trade deficit in foreign oil.

Life is to short - drive live your dream

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

INTERNATIONAL ENGINE OF THE YEAR AWARD
    The International Engine of the Year award is one of the automotive industry’s most lucrative accolades. It’s judged by an international panel of 76 renowned motoring journalists from 36 countries.

In 2015, 2016 and 2017, the Peugeot 1.2‑litre three-cylinder Turbo PureTech petrol engine won the 'Engine of the Year' award in the 1-litre to 1.4-litre category, praised by judges for its ability to deliver torque at low revs and its smooth running capability. The three-cylinder engine reduces emissions by around 20% compared to the four cylinder version, whilst maintaining the power and performance of a larger engine.
    LINK

Peugeot's 1.2-litre three-cylinder gasoline turbo - International Engine of the Year Winner 2015, 2016 & 2017 three years on a trot, lets hope Opel/Vauxhall gets access to use of them as well Rupert, the diesel is still the best engine in the 3008 though.
    Last edited by Oldsmobile stopped; 09-05-2017 at 03:06 PM.

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Sadly, OS, Peugeot's diesels aren't as bomb-proof as they used to be - it's the effect of the Ford-PSA engine alliance and Ford's bean-counters.

Personally - cities are the pits so incentives not to visit or even outright bans will have no effect on me whatsoever - on the odd occasion I need to travel into a city I use a diesel train anyway !!!

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Sadly, OS, Peugeot's diesels aren't as bomb-proof as they used to be - it's the effect of the Ford-PSA engine alliance and Ford's bean-counters.

Personally - cities are the pits so incentives not to visit or even outright bans will have no effect on me whatsoever - on the odd occasion I need to travel into a city I use a diesel train anyway !!!
    LOL It does not matter how much a diesel is bomb proof, in the future Merkel's EU It won't be ban or tax proof thats for sure. Every man and his dog is now offering scrap 7 year old diesel cars incentives at the moment to get diesels off the roads of Europe, you don't qualify to buy a new diesel under these scrappage schemes Rupert..

Do you ever go by diesel powered ships on cruises Rupert, some of the big ships and oil tankers use burn dirty bunker oil, when the N0x comes out the funnel its worse than a million small modern diesel cars on some of these big ships, Merkel EU is happy to chuck out all this pollution on ships why is that OK Rupert?

What's all this about Rupert? Car makers are offering diesels scrappage schemes at the moment in the UK, the British Government will offer you even more money with their scrappage scheme to remove diesels that begin at the end of this year.

Diesel scrappage scheme 2017 - What it will mean for you and why its being introduced
    Daily Express

THE Government has revealed that a diesel scrappage scheme will be introduced in the UK seeing drivers of old diesel cars offered cash incentives to switch to an environmentally friendly vehicle. Here is everything you need to know.

It is being introduced as part of a nationwide pollution plan to reduce the levels of harmful toxins being emitted on the roads in the UK.

Diesel drivers will be offered up to £2,000 to ditch their old car.

Why is it being introduced?

Last month, London Mayor Sadiq Khan called for the introduction of a scrappage scheme to tackle the harmful level of pollution in the UK.

Air pollution, mainly nitrogen oxides emitted in high quantities in diesel cars, contribute to the premature deaths of 40,000 Brits each year.
    How will it affect me?

If you are the owner of an old diesel car, then you could be forced to give it up in favour of a low emissions vehicle.

Any car or van that is more than 10 years old is likely to be targeted by this scheme and could eventually be forced off the road.

However, the scheme is believed to be initially targeting the 10 most polluting cities in the UK first before a nationwide rollout would be considered.
    London, Birmingham, Manchester and Liverpool are all expected to be cities that the scheme will target.

When the scheme was first teased, there was a belief that diesel car owners would be offered up to £8,500 to ditch their car.

This was because the scheme was believed to echo a similar one in force in France - where 100,000 citizens now drive an all-electric car.

The London Mayor suggested the fee should be nearer £3,500 but it expected to be up to £2,000, when it is passed.

AUTO EXPRESS...

Scotland to ban petrol and diesel car sales by 2032

New plans from the Scottish Government would allow the sale of hybrid and electric cars but not exclusively petrol or diesel ones

Scotland has set out plans to phase out the sale of cars powered solely by petrol or diesel by 2032 - eight years ahead of the timescale proposed for the rest of the UK. As under the plans south of the boarder, Scotland would allow the sale of petrol and diesel hybrids.

LINK

Diesel 'scrappage' schemes may herald price war between car companies

“Scrappage” schemes promoted as driving the most polluting vehicles off Britain’s roads could be a smokescreen for a price war between car manufacturers looking to bolster stalling sales, industry experts have warned.

A host of major car companies have launched incentive schemes over the past few months, offering between £2,000 and £7,000 off the price of new cars when older vehicles with poor environmental credentials are traded in.

LINK
    Last edited by Oldsmobile stopped; 09-05-2017 at 05:42 PM.

Hidden Content

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,650 Times in 3,700 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion
    Sounds like Germany rules Europe as they always wanted. No wonder the English left.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

Evo69 (09-05-2017),Ruperts Trooper (04-13-2018)

Thanks
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

The "scrappage" schemes now being offered are just car makers BS promotions - the % discount off list price is LESS than the discounts available to retail customers - and way below that available to fleet and brokers.

It's easy to see the demise of petrol/diesel ONLY vehicles - the attraction of hybrids is that they can increase performance - nothing to do with improving economy or emissions.

Like everywhere in the world, politicians get wrapped up in their own self-importance and don't notice how they're being manipulated by commercial interests.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Sounds like a great engine for the New Commodore next year. I'd say this engine will be coming to Australia some time next year.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to timandhayley For This Useful Post:

mikmak (09-07-2017)

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Piece of **** Subie Liberty

Quote Originally Posted by timandhayley View Post
    Sounds like a great engine for the New Commodore next year. I'd say this engine will be coming to Australia some time next year.
    My only concern is that AWD would be preferable and SUV version may not make it across the pond(?).
    Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

Hidden Content

Follow me on Hidden Content
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! Hidden Content

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

The press release states AWD and 8 Speed Auto, so this should be ready for Holden. As stated this engine doesn't make much sense for Europe, but maybe for export markets like Australia and the USA.

It would be a great addition to the Country Tourer, maybe that's why Holden has said no diesel yet, because they were waiting for this new spec engine to be introduced? The diesel we have coming next year is currently the lower spec 2.0lt with FWD.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Economy and emissions are poor
    Rupert dirty diesels are on the way out mate, they are the past-history, going & gone.

My next big purchase will probably be Jaguars project "Marmite" or Dylan as its now know its sounds fantastic, a classic E-Type with awesome electric motors that will blow a Tesla away.

You are so yesterday's man out of touch.

ALL new Jaguar and Land Rover vehicles will be electrified from 2020

Jaguar Land Rover CEO Dr Ralf Speth confirms that all the brand's new models will be electrified by 2020

Jaguar Land Rover is the latest car manufacturer to announce its plans for an electric future, confirming at its inaugural Tech Fest that every new model the group makes from 2020 will feature an electrified variant.
    LINK

All-electric Jaguar E-Type Zero uncovered

THE FUTURE is looking great for change, not as dull as ditchwater Opel design, at long last the sun is shining again in car design

Ferrari's boss was absolutely was right its drop dead gorgeous.

Jaguar Land Rover Classic reveals electric E-Type Zero prototype, hinting at a future production model

Jaguar Land Rover Classic has revealed the latest creation spawned at the firm’s Coventry based classic facility – an all-electric reimagining of the iconic E-Type, dubbed the E-Type Zero.

For now the E-Type Zero remains a prototype vehicle, but there’s serious production intent if customer interest is strong enough, with a view to offering the car to JLR Classic customers within two years should the classic division get the green light. Potential customers are being shown the prototype now, around a year and a half since the idea was conceived under the title ‘Project Marmite’, before taking on its official working title – Project Dylan.

Dr Ralf Speth, Jaguar Land Rover CEO, said: “Every new Jaguar Land Rover model line will be electrified from 2020, giving our customers even more choice.

LINK
    Last edited by Oldsmobile stopped; 09-07-2017 at 09:16 AM.

Hidden Content

22. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information