Make it personal: New Opel Exclusive program for new Insignia

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Make it personal: New Opel Exclusive program for new Insignia

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member Toto's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Opel Corsa GSI

Make it personal: New Opel Exclusive program for new Insignia

OPEL
    2017-02-21

Rüsselsheim. For Opel, the 87th International Motor Show in Geneva (March 7 to 19, 2017) is all about showcasing its all-new Opel Insignia. The Rüsselsheim-based carmaker will present the Grand Sport and the Sports Tourer variants of its flagship for the very first time at the Opel stand in Hall 2 of the Palexpo (stand number 2231). The dynamic duo will be revealed during the Opel press conference that will take place at 11:00 CET on March 7. Starting at €25,940 (RRP including VAT in Germany) the second generation Opel Insignia offers outstanding value for money. Furthermore, two new OnStar services and the new Opel Exclusive program coming with the new Insignia will also debut in Geneva.

The all-new Opel Insignia is in extremely good shape. It follows the sporty example set by a large coupé, is uncompromisingly spacious thanks to a new architecture and offers exemplary safety just like a true flagship should. The second generation Insignia impresses with its breathtaking lines, welcoming atmosphere and high-tech solutions ranging from the trendsetting Opel IntelliLux LED® matrix headlights and ultra-modern driver assistance systems like active lane keep assist to the cool head up display. The active hood for improved pedestrian protection rounds off the significant increase in safety. In addition, the Insignia comes with Opel-typical first-class connectivity with smartphone integration, which now offers a new Opel OnStar feature – the Personal Assistant, which allows Insignia occupants to book hotel rooms and search for suitable parking spots via an OnStar Advisor. Overall, the new Insignia impresses with great agility, increased roominess and outstanding value for money making it a serious challenger even for premium brands.

The new flagship is also the first Opel available with an eight-speed automatic transmission, a 360° camera and intelligent all-wheel drive with torque vectoring. In combination with the highly efficient new turbocharged engines, weight reduction of up to 200 kilograms depending on the variant and a lower seating position, the new Insignia Grand Sport and Sports Tourer give the driver a direct and more agile driving experience than ever before.

Stand out from the crowd with Opel Exclusive

In addition to the debut of the two new Insignia variants and the new OnStar services, Geneva will also witness the launch of the new Opel Exclusive program. It will enable people to stand out from the crowd by customizing their Insignia according to their own personal taste. Opel Exclusive customers will be able to choose from an unlimited range of colors based on their personal preference. No matter whether they want the car to match the tone of their favorite tie or to reflect the color of a loved one’s eyes – the Opel Exclusive team will make it happen.

With the choice of color made, Opel Exclusive customers can add a further level of customization by selecting what they want the paintwork to say about them with Opel offering three distinctive finishes. The tri-coat paint finish is an innovative mixing ratio. It owes its intensive and smooth appearance to the three-layer coating. The metallic paint finish reflects more incident light, which gives the paint its sparkling shine. And the pearl paint finish dazzles with fine layers of crystals embedded in the paint finish that help bring out an exceptionally natural pearly shine.

In addition, Opel Exclusive will offer an expanding range of additional customization possibilities including leather options, a selection of wheels and decorative design elements solely reserved for Exclusive customers.

As part of the Exclusive program, Opel will also be exploring new digital solutions such as showroom images in 4K, an ultra-high definition resolution, and augmented reality to allow customers to easily experience their new vehicle in amazing definition while enjoying an immersive experience.

‘7 in 17’

Both new models set for their debuts in Geneva, the all-new Insignia Grand Sport and the Insignia Sports Tourer, are key players in Opel ‘7 in 17’ product offensive, which will see seven new models launched during the course of the year. They will be joined by the revolutionary Ampera-e, which outshines its electric car rivals with a certified NEDC range of 520 kilometers (measured in accordance with the New European Driving Cycle), the adventurous, all wheel drive Insignia Country Tourer and an even more comfortable and flexible Opel Vivaro. Furthermore, Opel will bring the Crossland X and Grandland X to market. The Crossland X will join the Mokka X in the booming CUV/SUV B-segment, whereas the Grandland X will appeal to customers looking for a C-segment crossover.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toto For This Useful Post:

GM Insider News (02-21-2017),kmacleod (02-22-2017),Uligar (02-23-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,488 Times in 1,882 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Re: Make it personal: New Opel Exclusive program for new Insignia

Build-to-order, rather than sell-off-the lot, is readily available for most European brands and this personalisation programme is a bold move that not all premium brands have done, fairly unique in mainstream.

As a counter to Ford's Vignale model range this may prove a valuable tool - maybe this stimulated PSA's interest.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,770 Times in 5,645 Posts

It's absurd to think that Opel would be the first to implement this at GM, while Cadillac languishes and Corvette, to my knowledge, lacks any such program.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sfbreh For This Useful Post:

91fairladyZ (02-21-2017),Al63240 (02-21-2017),dslay04 (02-21-2017),GM Insider News (02-21-2017),wallus13 (02-21-2017)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by sfbreh View Post
    It's absurd to think that Opel would be the first to implement this at GM, while Cadillac languishes and Corvette, to my knowledge, lacks any such program.
    It seems to sum GM up quite well - incompetent.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ruperts Trooper For This Useful Post:

'Vette Dude (02-22-2017),sfbreh (02-21-2017),SierraGS (02-23-2017)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 rockyspaw's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 525 Posts
    My Ride
    09 G6 GXP 05 Rainier 81 Vette

My thoughts, exactly!
    I wish they all could be California squirrels!
    Past Rides: 2003 Grand Am GT1 (saved me), 1995 Bonneville SLE (RIP), 1986 635 CSi, 1984 Estate Wagon, 1978 Malibu Classic, 1978 Corvette, 1975 Vega Kammback (Miss ya'), 1971 Dodge Dart Swinger (STFU...it got me there!)

"Nothing happens until something happens then everything happens!"

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 91fairladyZ's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 GMC Acadia SLT2 Silver

8 spd and not the new 9?

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 91fairladyZ's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 GMC Acadia SLT2 Silver

I really hope Cadillac is just waiting until April to announce their own bespoke program.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,338 Times in 1,334 Posts

Oh Opel, how I covet thee..

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member Toto's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Opel Corsa GSI

Quote Originally Posted by 91fairladyZ View Post
    8 spd and not the new 9?
    Maybe the 8-speed is lighter and/or more compact? Maybe it's a cost factor. Any info?

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,646 Times in 3,698 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

I am curious how this whole PSA thing plays out with GM, I get a feeling GM will have a board seat or few in PSA, I do not see how they completely check out of Europe.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

dannyg (02-21-2017)

Thanks

That must be why GM wants to unload Opel. It makes the other divisions look bad.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe in T.O. For This Useful Post:

Ruperts Trooper (02-22-2017),SierraGS (02-23-2017)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

This won't work well here. Americans are a lot different buyer. Most see something and want it now. It should be a option to do, but 99% of buyers will never go for it. That's why basic designs and configurations sell so well people don't want to think for themselves.

Thanks
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by pontiacgt02 View Post
    This won't work well here. Americans are a lot different buyer. Most see something and want it now. It should be a option to do, but 99% of buyers will never go for it. That's why basic designs and configurations sell so well people don't want to think for themselves.
    What a sad reflection on those buying groups - all down to trending, not that I understand that!

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 MisterMe's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Chevrolet Malibu/2016/Pearl

Say what? If you don't want a Corvette off the lot, then you can order a Corvette is just about any color or configuration of options that are available. As for Cadillac, each model can be configured to your heart's content. Or am I missing something? Is there something that you want from Cadillac or Corvette that you can't get. Or are you kvetching over the lack of a name for the bespoke configuration of these vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruperts Trooper View Post
    What a sad reflection on those buying groups - all down to trending, not that I understand that!
    Not at all. If you walk the showroom of a GM North America dealership, then you can tell the sales person exactly what you want. If the dealership does not have it on its lot, then the sales person will search the inventory of other dealers in the region. Chances are that a car that meets your specifications is on the lot of another dealer within a 300 km radius of you. Your dealer will then trade a car on his lot for one that satisfies you.

By the afternoon or the next day, you may take delivery of the car that you want in the color that you want with the features that you want. If you go the special order route, then you get the same car in a month. A day or a month? The choice seems obvious.

One more thing. Chevrolet provides nearly infinitely variable configurations of Corvettes because Corvettes sell in relatively low volumes and are significantly hand-assembled. Although they are the sports cars for the Everyman, they are not cheap when compared to the run-of-the-mill Chevrolet, Ford, or Toyota. The Gen2 Opel Insignia has gone upmarket from the Gen1 Insignia, but it is still downmarket from where we normally expect a flagship sedan to be. If Opel wants to build Insignias like Chevrolet builds Corvettes, then it must expect Corvette prices and Corvette volumes. This is not a strategy for profitability.

Thanks
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMe View Post
    The Gen2 Opel Insignia has gone upmarket from the Gen1 Insignia, but it is still downmarket from where we normally expect a flagship sedan to be. If Opel wants to build Insignias like Chevrolet builds Corvettes, then it must expect Corvette prices and Corvette volumes. This is not a strategy for profitability.
    I do understand how the North America buying process works, at least in principle.

Most of my Vauxhalls, bought over 20 years, were built-to-order, just as my subsequent cars - probably due to far fewer unsold vehicles being in the supply chain here, making dealer swaps unlikely.

Better than many premium brands, Opel/Vauxhall's factory order system allows full BoM processing, production planning and full confirmation of build date and arrival date at dealer within 48 hours of placing order at dealer. It's not a case of Opel "wants", it's been doing it for decades!

Given the European mainstream sector, the now enlarged Insignia Grand Sport is an ideal flagship model - the personalisation scheme allows Opel/Vauxhall to compete at the next level up.

23. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information