Uwe Ellinghaus on Cadillac house

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Uwe Ellinghaus on Cadillac house

News Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,851 Times in 734 Posts

Uwe Ellinghaus on Cadillac house

Cadillac House Brand Experience: 5 Questions with CMO Uwe Ellinghaus
    Brandchannel
    Dale Buss

With Cadillac House now opening to the public on June 2, the goal is to underscore, in an understated but impactful way, the new attitude and brand positioning championed by the automaker’s brain trust as its playbook for reviving a venerable brand for a modern era.

“Context still matters,” Cadillac CMO Uwe Ellinghaus told brandchannel. “If we can find a way to use the fact that we’re in this very cool location in SoHo and become one of the many ‘in’ places to be for the curious and the creative, the innovators and the creators, we have achieved something. And I think that this great location and the creative vibe that surrounds 330 Hudson is the perfect place to get to the creative class and crowd—but only if you offer the proper program.”
    continued at link above
    Last edited by GM Insider News; 05-18-2016 at 10:51 AM.
    GMI News Editor

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Re: Uwe Ellinghaus on Cadillac house

wheres the link.....like wheres the beef
    "Good artists copy, great artists steal" Pablo Picasso

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by optiongm View Post
    wheres the link.....like wheres the beef
    oopsies

http://brandchannel.com/2016/05/17/5...dillac-051716/
    GMI News Editor

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 jamiepeterson2's Avatar
    Thanks

Carbucks, huh?

Methinks JDN, Ellinghaus & Co will sell more cups of coffee than actual Cadillacs.
    This is supposed to be a road map to success? I don't think so, and I am supposedly within their millennial parameters.

Sorry, just not interested.
    Last edited by jamiepeterson2; 05-18-2016 at 10:57 AM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jamiepeterson2 For This Useful Post:

Curtnik (05-18-2016),steve333 (05-18-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,699 Times in 5,615 Posts

THERE'S STILL HOPE! ELMIRAJ!

If they actually do have screens running the length of the place and play Cadillac ads or B-rolls or whatever, it wouldn't be a total waste.

Then again, they could just use this Windows Media Player background on all the screens and flop:

It's not a bad idea to do for your building's lobby. It's a pretty good idea in that sense, but they can't get too snobby. They need to stay grounded.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sfbreh For This Useful Post:

aldw (05-19-2016),dslay04 (05-18-2016)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 734 Posts
    My Ride
    Terrain Denali 2016, Black

Until truly EXCITING products are in the showroom, this is no more than work in progress. I'll give them props for trying SOMETHING. I'm sure the project will be tweaked over time as they get feedback. Won't result in an additional sale in Fargo or Portland but if the media picks up on this at all it may help burnish the image a bit over time. I'm willing to wait and see.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

This feels desperate to me and could backfire in a huge way. Just style the dam* cars so that they make a bold, elegant and expensive statement rather than blending in to the surroundings, price aggressively and stop the arrogance Cadillac...you need to EARN the public's respect. It's really embarrassing to be a Cadillac fan lately.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to samesun For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (05-18-2016),steve333 (05-18-2016)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,994 Times in 3,812 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

This Ewe thinks he's a sophisticated egghead. He spews more than a Christmas turkey.
    Elitist cliquish who is going to be gone in 36 months if Caddy has any brains.

Ellinghaus: "We will work with people we’ve already featured in the campaign, such as a collaboration with Jason Wu (following last year’s capsule collection with Nick Wooster). But I don’t want us to limit ourselves to one, two or three widely recognized spokespersons. Other brands do that. Our target group is educated and self-confident, and I don’t think they will change their perceptions of the Cadillac brand if we’re in league with whatever celebrity it might be."

Pure gibberish.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    This Ewe thinks he's a sophisticated egghead. He spews more than a Christmas turkey.
    Elitist cliquish who is going to be gone in 36 months if Caddy has any brains.

Ellinghaus: "We will work with people we’ve already featured in the campaign, such as a collaboration with Jason Wu (following last year’s capsule collection with Nick Wooster). But I don’t want us to limit ourselves to one, two or three widely recognized spokespersons. Other brands do that. Our target group is educated and self-confident, and I don’t think they will change their perceptions of the Cadillac brand if we’re in league with whatever celebrity it might be."

Pure gibberish.

This is my fave

That is why you can’t compare Cadillac House to brand experience centers that some of our competitors have erected in London and elsewhere, because they, by and large, feature their cars and technology, and a lot of the content is digital. But they aren’t curated programs.

The target audience for us is highly brand-skeptical. If they realize a brand doesn’t have a point of view or isn’t serious about making itself part of the worlds of art, fashion and design, we will fail in our mission. It’s an important milestone—and a proof point for “Dare Greatly”—that with Cadillac House we once again go a step further than our competitors do.
    GMI News Editor

15. The Following User Says Thank You to GM Insider News For This Useful Post:

paul8488 (05-18-2016)

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,165 Posts

I can imagine the Cadillac marketing gang hanging out here. They'll express shock at the dismal monthly Cadillac sales numbers while expressing sentiments similar to what a New Yorker theater critic famously said after Nixon's 49-state landslide in 1972: "I can't believe Nixon won. I don't know anyone who voted for him."

What I don't like about the relocation to NYC is that I think the executives are simply focusing on the wrong thing. They're looking for people who they think have the pulse of society and I fear they may end up with people in an insular environment who don't know that there is a world beyond New York (think **** Cavett, if you're over a certain age), or at least don't think that world matters. It's a big country. NYC is the financial and perhaps cultural center. But are the people there truly representative of American society? That they vote in percentages for democratic presidential candidates hugely out of synch with the rest of the country suggests a very different perspective. Can they relate to and, more importantly, do they know how to market to people in Atlanta, Seattle, Dallas, Chicago, and other major cities (the bulk of the market)? Their early campaigns are not promising.

The New Yorker critic was Pauline Kael. The quote often attributed to her isn't quite accurate, but the reality is even worse. "I live in a rather special world. I only know one person who voted for Nixon. Where they are I don’t know. They’re outside my ken. But sometimes when I’m in a theater I can feel them.” I hope that Cadillac isn't creating a corporate culture in its marketing and sales staff that knows as little of the outside world as Ms. Kael.
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ksr For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (05-18-2016),aldw (05-19-2016),ChrisGinNC (05-18-2016),Envoy4Life (05-18-2016),GM Insider News (05-18-2016),jalberda (05-18-2016),Jesda (05-18-2016)

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,165 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Accardi View Post
    This is my fave
    "If they realize a brand doesn’t have a point of view or isn’t serious about making itself part of the worlds of art, fashion and design, we will fail in our mission."

So what exactly is the BMW point of view in the art world. Or Audi's corporate thoughts on fashion?

Good lord.
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

19. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ksr For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (05-18-2016),ChrisGinNC (05-18-2016),ClassyEldo (05-18-2016),Envoy4Life (05-18-2016),Extreme4x4 (05-18-2016),GM Insider News (05-18-2016),jalberda (05-18-2016),Jesda (05-18-2016)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,994 Times in 3,812 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

^^ Can or CAN'T, ksr?

Great post! Ms Kael was no different from the Ewe-intellectualoid/sophisticates (or the lamestream media) today. Clueless would be a compliment.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 661 Posts

I think the point here is to orient Cadillac with the cultural brand leaders, leading edge fashion designers and artistic leadership found in NYC. The point is to find a particular aesthetic that will resonate with cosmopolitan luxury buyers.

Last edited by bmwboy2007; 05-18-2016 at 01:37 PM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to bmwboy2007 For This Useful Post:

inrick1 (05-18-2016)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

De Lorenzo is having a field day with this.

Pass the popcorn.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tnmats For This Useful Post:

carbarrister (05-19-2016),Neanderthal (05-18-2016)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

This is hilarious! It's what happens when marketeers aren't kept in check by level-headed people. They do tend to drift away in babbling, those marketeers: "I hired world-class talent that, fortunately, believed in the Cadillac mission—and New York helped a lot to attract them".

The people he hired believe in the mission. FORTUNATELY!

After all, it's such a bloody coincidence that those people said to believe in the mission just before he handed them a contract.

I was willing JdN and Uwe the benefit of the doubt, but by Jove, this has pushed me over the edge.

And DeLorenzo is so right about this: http://www.autoextremist.com
    Last edited by jalberda; 05-18-2016 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Added link

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalberda For This Useful Post:

ClassyEldo (05-18-2016),Envoy4Life (05-18-2016)

27. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information