UK Review: 2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK Review: 2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,059 Times in 1,011 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

UK Review: 2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum

2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum review
    Cadillac's new luxury saloon is good to drive but simply can't match European rivals when it comes to the bigger picture
    by Mark Tisshaw
    14 July 2016
    Autocar.co.uk

What is it?
    Cadillac is back for another crack at the European market. Only this time, it really means it. Well, kind of.

The General Motors brand has now admitted what we knew all along: it just canít compete with the likes of Audi, BMW or Mercedes-Benz on their home soil, so it isnít going to try.

What it can do, however, is offer is a selection of distinctively styled models with plenty of equipment, powerful engines and, hopefully, some decent driving dynamics, thanks to the new models being lighter. It also hopes to build up a customer base of discerning buyers who Ďgetí the brand and give it some visibility and credibility in Europe.

The first of these new models is the new Cadillac CT6. It sits in the luxury saloon segment alongside the BMW 7 Series and Mercedes-Benz S-Class, but itís perhaps closest in ideology to the Jaguar XJ.

What's it like?
    Kudos to Cadillac: it has gone and made a big saloon that looks and feels like no other. This isnít some homogenised bland box either to look at or drive; it has real character and distinction. Those looks ainít to my tastes, but hell, at least it's distinctive and recognisable as a Cadillac, when in truth the brand has no real right or expectation to be recognised as anything at all here in Europe.

Letís start with the good stuff. It feels light on its feet, nimble even. It wonít necessarily thrill through corners, but it does display impressive agility and a lightness of touch. Although the Cadillac is no lighter than its rivals, all of the heavy steel bits have been put in the middle of the car, so with aluminium front and rear ends, a light engine and a long wheelbase, it turns in nicely and is easy to point out of a corner.
    Should I buy one?
    The CT6 is certainly not a bad car; it is interesting to drive, and probably to live with. But to win our recommendation it would need to better all its rivals in every key department, and that's before you even get to the caveat that it's left-hand drive only, costs seventy grand and will probably have some rather ugly depreciation. So it doesnít.

We admire Cadillac for making it and giving UK buyers the chance to buy one officially and we would even more so if diesel or plug-in hybrid drivetrains and right-hand were offered. Still, we shall watch Cadillacís progress with interest.
    CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE

Image courtesy of autocar.co.uk
    "La vita Ť come un albero di Natale..c'Ť sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nadepalma For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (07-19-2016),t-rexx (07-19-2016)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,059 Times in 1,011 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Re: UK Review: 2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum

Good review. I know UK/European publications aren't really kind to American cars, but even they don't seem to deride the CT6. From their own perspective, it doesn't seem to be very far off from being on par with the "best" in Europe.
    "La vita Ť come un albero di Natale..c'Ť sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,074 Times in 1,902 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Cadillac CT6

Shesh,
    But to win our recommendation it would need to better all its rivals in every key department, and that's before you even get to the caveat that it's left-hand drive only, costs seventy grand and will probably have some rather ugly depreciation. So it doesn’t.
    Its not reasonable to expect a car to perform better than every other car in every metric. Even their own don't do that.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 9,555 Times in 4,668 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by dslay04 View Post
    Shesh,

Its not reasonable to expect a car to perform better than every other car in every metric. Even their own don't do that.
    I thought the same. It may need to be better to win customer $$, but for a review it should win a recommendation if it is every bit the equal of its German rivals.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,905 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

"It doesn’t sound great, either. A lot of this is down to the eight-speed automatic it's hooked up to, a torque converter that spends far too long converting its torque while also having a nasty habit of holding the wrong gear. Throttle response is blunt, too. Oh, and the economy is pretty dire ... But to win our recommendation it would need to better all its rivals in every key department, and that's before you even get to the caveat that it's left-hand drive only, costs seventy grand and will probably have some rather ugly depreciation. So it doesn’t"

£70,000 UKP is about $92,000 USD. Why would it get any recommendation with those caveats?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ruperts Trooper For This Useful Post:

GolfBravo (07-19-2016),jalberda (07-20-2016)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ruperts Trooper View Post
    "that's before you even get to the caveat that it's left-hand drive only, costs seventy grand and will probably have some rather ugly depreciation. So it doesn’t"

£70,000 UKP is about $92,000 USD. Why would it get any recommendation with those caveats?
    I don't quite follow Cadillac's logic either. Left-hand drive only for the UK? Really?

To put it into a perspective: how many right-hand drive Jaguars do people buy in the US? Or right-hand drive BMWs and Mercs?

Not to mention the non-existent dealer network.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to GolfBravo For This Useful Post:

jalberda (07-20-2016)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Jaguar XF

Autocar eviscerated the XT5, but the CTS-v remains one of their favourites.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2017 Cadillac CT6

"It doesn’t sound great, either. A lot of this is down to the eight-speed automatic it's hooked up to, a torque converter that spends far too long converting its torque while also having a nasty habit of holding the wrong gear. Throttle response is blunt, too. Oh, and the economy is pretty dire ... But to win our recommendation it would need to better all its rivals in every key department, and that's before you even get to the caveat that it's left-hand drive only, costs seventy grand and will probably have some rather ugly depreciation. So it doesn’t"
    after the VW Scandal, they should shy away from making comments on fuel economy. Clearly EU standards are a joke.

to win our recommendation it would need to better all its rivals in every key department, and that's before you even get to the caveat that it's left-hand drive only, costs seventy grand and will probably have some rather ugly depreciation. So it doesn’t"
    British reviews hold little value to me after this statement. Only reminds me that they did vote for the Brexit.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,905 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

The Cadillac's a petrol and being compared with petrol versions of it's European competitors - it's still a gas-guzzler - the comparability of fuel consumption between different models is sound in the EU, it's the testing of NOx that's under ridicule.

Lack of understanding of individual markets is a trait of GM (and GMI) - if you don't want to sell to Europeans, that's fine - just don't waste money trying.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ruperts Trooper For This Useful Post:

jalberda (07-20-2016),t-rexx (07-19-2016)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2017 Cadillac CT6

The Cadillac's a petrol and being compared with petrol versions of it's European competitors - it's still a gas-guzzler - the comparability of fuel consumption between different models is sound in the EU, it's the testing of NOx that's under ridicule.

Lack of understanding of individual markets is a trait of GM (and GMI) - if you don't want to sell to Europeans, that's fine - just don't waste money trying.
    Dude, EU fuel economy as well as NOx testing is a known joke. Don't even try to defend it.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dslay04 For This Useful Post:

erasmus (07-20-2016),GolfBravo (07-19-2016),Scrambler (07-19-2016)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dslay04 View Post
    Dude, EU fuel economy as well as NOx testing is a known joke. Don't even try to defend it.
    A joke? It's beyond a joke.

For example PSA announced their "findings" last week, with some of their engines being 30mpg less efficient than officially claimed.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GolfBravo View Post
    I don't quite follow Cadillac's logic either. Left-hand drive only for the UK? Really?
    GMiers should also realize 'Cadillac Europe' at the same time ignores many LHD markets in Europe.
    This whole discussion shouldn't exist just as the idea of selling LHD cars in RHD markets.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

I only wonder where they are going to fit the CT6 in their one and only UK dealer. CT6 is a big car. I am afraid one of the other luxury brands they sell (Sssangyoong) will have to be moved to the street.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Scrambler For This Useful Post:

jalberda (07-20-2016)

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,849 Times in 2,494 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Good review other than the "Should I buy one" part. Ouch. At least Cadillac is trying and IMO heading in the right direction bit by bit. They need to get RHD out there for these places too.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

GM and Cadillac won't be serious about rhd markets until they produce cars for those markets with right-hand drive. And maybe they aren't serious, but just want their name and image there.
    GM doesn't need to produce rhd if they are strong and profitable in countries with left-hand drive. The USA and China dominance could be plenty of profits.
    Yet if you are a worldwide manufacturer, you must produce rhd as well. This may take new-think for GM, but essential as well.
    I doubt the review was truly objective, as trashing American cars seems to be sop. And why test a car not designed for your country?
    Lastly, if the only car you can recommend is the car that beats all others in every respect, then there probably isn't a car that you can recommend. Which makes a car reviewer useless!

24. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information