RIP Volt: Should It Have Been A Cadillac From The Start? - Page 4

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: RIP Volt: Should It Have Been A Cadillac From The Start?

Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,456 Times in 2,264 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

Re: RIP Volt: Should It Have Been A Cadillac From The Start?

Above everything else, the issue was spiraling costs and once the project was begun
    Lutz had an obligation to stop/change the project and get that back on track but he didn't.
    Lutz allowed the Voltec disaster to continue because he and GM were too embarrassed to admit
    that they had made a huge mistake in starting the project as a BEV with add on range extender ICE.
    Keep in mind that at the time, GM was in BK and that wouldn't play well to the government overseers..

Bottom line was that instead of competing with a $21K Prius, GM planned on a $28K Volt that was better
    but ended up with a $40,000 vehicle that was just too hard to sell without eating costs on super low leasing.
    Last edited by jpd80; 03-31-2019 at 02:13 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Lincoln Nautilus

Maybe the problem is that they wanted to make a showcase of the tech rather than adding it to a vehicle people were already buying. Certainly part of the problem with Volt is that it's basically a compact sedan so much of the approach just became obsolete very quickly and suddenly. I think it's foolish to think Cadillac could do anything better with the PHEV tech, it was a lightweight efficiency design, it was never intended to be performance oriented and the resulting product was expensive and dull. PHEV is just not a showcase tech anymore, it's a nice feature add to an existing vehicle lineup, but you're not going to bring the customers just for it so basing a vehicle entirely on it turned out to be foolish...and GM unfortunately spent too much on it.
    Last edited by BORG; 03-31-2019 at 04:06 PM.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Mentat Bashar's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Accord Coupe' V6 6spd

Quote Originally Posted by hydrogen View Post
    The Volt should have looked more like this from the start.

It could have until GM put it in the wind tunnel and found out the the Cd was actually lower with the rear of the car facing the free-stream.
    "I do not care about inequality because I'm not envious. I care about poverty."

Apostrophes: Hidden Content

Spelling: Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,456 Times in 2,264 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by BORG View Post
    Maybe the problem is that they wanted to make a showcase of the tech rather than adding it to a vehicle people were already buying. Certainly part of the problem with Volt is that it's basically a compact sedan so much of the approach just became obsolete very quickly and suddenly. I think it's foolish to think Cadillac could do anything better with the PHEV tech, it was a lightweight efficiency design, it was never intended to be performance oriented and the resulting product was expensive and dull. PHEV is just not a showcase tech anymore, it's a nice feature add to an existing vehicle lineup, but you're not going to bring the customers just for it so basing a vehicle entirely on it turned out to be foolish...and GM unfortunately spent too much on it.
    Good points and an example of what happens when other manufacturers find less costly ways to do things. For the same price as Volt, people can now buy a Tesla 3.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,272 Times in 670 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hydrogen View Post
    The Volt should have looked more like this from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Buttons View Post
    Why do a lot of people think that the Volt concept was so attractive? It looks terrible to me...Come to think about it that era of GM concept cars were pretty lackluster IMHO.

As for the ELR. I feel had it been first to be introduced it might have stood a better chance.

Secondly had the ELR been a longer sleeker design it might have won over a few more people,especially at the initial asking price of it. To me The ELR looked stubby and "economy" whenever I saw one on the road.
    Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    Not only that, but I'm pretty sure that GM had a 40 mile range goal on Gen 1 voltec and went w/ the conventional hybrid shape because of that. This ghastly thing with its brick shaped front end probably would've killed at least 5 miles of range.
    That test mule used a full size Chevrolet Blazer chassis, and was never considered for production. EVERYTHING about it had to be scaled down for production..

Not that it was especially attractive anyway..

Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Lincoln Nautilus

I would say look at what Ford or Europe is doing with PHEV, basically they ARE performance enhancers so it adds quite a bit of torque instead of just efficiency. The GM approach is geared less as a value add and mostly as an efficiency strategy, and it didn't scale to other applications like we're seeing with Ford's approach. The same HEV and PHEV system going into Explorer, F-150, Transit, Mustang, Ranger, Bronco (eventually), etc. Ford has a separate 2.5L FWD HEV/PHEV system for Escape/Corsair/Transit Connect/Maverick etc. I have to assume GM dropped the Volt with a similar scalable system on the way, Ford dropped most of its PHEVs as well ahead of this flood. I think the Volt was just obsolete and the wrong strategy so onward and upward. GM has just been very bad at creating volume for their electrification strategy, they put all of their eggs in literally 1 or 2 baskets, they didn't put the tech in enough customer hands. They are promising a major strategy shift which they certainly need.
    Last edited by BORG; 04-01-2019 at 05:40 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    '14 Volt, '17 Acadia, '08 STS

Quote Originally Posted by emh View Post
    Plus make it practical. It was dumb to make the Volt a 2+2 (even the second gen is not a real 5-seater). There are other ways to package the battery. People who buy mainstream cars usually need a proper bench in the back.
    It's hard to convince people, but the 2+2 is practical. I have 3 kids and a wife and drive a Volt. I've never had an issue with only having seating for 4. My car is a commuter vehicle that typically has 1 occupant in it. Sometime, I will drive all 3 kids to school or pick them up. If the whole family needs to go someplace, we drive our Acadia because it's bigger. When I had my Astra with seating for 5, we'd still drive the bigger car when it was all of us, because noone ever wants to sit in the middle seat in the back of a car. And if you have car seats, you can't use the middle seat in a car anyway. The bigger issue with the first gen volt is the low roof. My passengers frequently hit their head getting in or out of the car. It would be great if it was about 10% taller.
    Past GM vehicles: 72 Cutlass S, 97 LeSabre, 00 Alero, 04 Grand Prix, 05 Vue, 06 Envoy XL, 09 Traverse, 12 Enclave, 08 Astra

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

It's still too early for EV's. There was nothing wrong with the Volt or the ELR. With gas being so cheap Americans are steering away from EVs. A gas crisis would definitely expedite the cause!

11. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information