Report: Cadillac Celestiq due mid-2022, $200K+ price tag

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Report: Cadillac Celestiq due mid-2022, $200K+ price tag

Thanks

Report: Cadillac Celestiq due mid-2022, $200K+ price tag

Sorry if this is repeat information but I had not seen it posted anywhere on here yet. On March 5, Mike Colias (auto journalist for WSJ) tweeted these three points about Celestiq after having a conversation with Caddy chief Steve Carlisle:

1. "It’ll be hand-built in the hundreds per year"

2. "Price? Six figures … 'and it won’t have a 1 in front of it.'" (Colias is quoting Carlisle)

3. "Due mid-2022"

At the end of the source article (TTAC), they ask a question that has to be on many peoples' minds:

The Celestiq’s existence (well, future existence) makes one wonder whether rival Lincoln, which also has an EV roadmap, will follow suit with a halo car of its own. It’s something a few of us here would like to see.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Syclone478 For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (03-09-2020),Robert1969 (03-09-2020)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Report: Cadillac Celestiq due mid-2022, $200K+ price tag

While the first two points do not surprise me very much (though I must admit to feeling elated), the last point is unexpected. If true, that is roughly a mere two years from now.

And I am blown away by what I am reading regarding interior materials (niceties such as flower petals suspended in epoxy) and the planned levels of customization that will be offered. I remember as a kid in the 80s reading about the 1957 Series 70 Eldorado Brougham and being marveled by its 'ultra-luxury' appointments. Even being decades-old tech at the time, its exceptionalism and uncompromised attention to detail were still evident. FWIW the first-gen Eldorado Brougham had rear-hinged suicide doors in addition to being a pillar-less hardtop and is a stunning sight to behold. It very much has a Motorama showcar feel.

Since the 1980s I dreamed of a day Cadillac would again offer something the world's most elite might demand and I couldn't be happier it looks like that day is fast approaching.

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Syclone478 For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (03-09-2020),bongos2u (03-10-2020),EJD1984 (03-09-2020),gkr778 (03-09-2020),Robert1969 (03-09-2020),Scrambler (03-09-2020),SP1966 (03-18-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,304 Times in 4,554 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by Syclone478 View Post
    While the first two points do not surprise me very much (though I must admit to feeling elated), the last point is unexpected. If true, that is roughly a mere two years from now.

And I am blown away by what I am reading regarding interior materials (niceties such as flower petals suspended in epoxy) and the planned levels of customization that will be offered. I remember as a kid in the 80s reading about the 1957 Series 70 Eldorado Brougham and being marveled by its 'ultra-luxury' appointments. Even being decades-old tech at the time, its exceptionalism and uncompromised attention to detail were still evident. FWIW the first-gen Eldorado Brougham had rear-hinged suicide doors in addition to being a pillar-less hardtop and is a stunning sight to behold. It very much has a Motorama showcar feel.

Since the 1980s I dreamed of a day Cadillac would again offer something the world's most elite might demand and I couldn't be happier it looks like that day is fast approaching.
    Perfect post! And in spite of all the bickering over minutia we do on GMI, I bet we all feel the same about this, especially the part I bolded!

I can't wait to see this! Very exciting!!!!! I hate wishing away my life, but I can't wait for 2022!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

gkr778 (03-09-2020),SKH (03-09-2020)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

News Contributor Premium Member EJD1984's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,341 Times in 1,148 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Sierra

If this story has validity to it.

It sounds like Cadillac (finally) plans on going into Bentley and Rolls-Royce territory.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to EJD1984 For This Useful Post:

RedSkyBlackDream (03-09-2020)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '05 300C - '09 G8

Quote Originally Posted by EJD1984 View Post
    If this story has validity to it.

It sounds like Cadillac (finally) plans on going into Bentley and Rolls-Royce territory.
    Sad part is they used to be until they GM'd their self to death.
    RedSkyBlackDream

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RedSkyBlackDream For This Useful Post:

CJH (03-10-2020),EJD1984 (03-09-2020),gkr778 (03-09-2020),Mr.Buttons (03-09-2020)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Vehicle Free Agent

I will look forward to checking one out when they are produced.

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,725 Times in 2,415 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Celestique with a Celestial price huh?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

Mr.Buttons (03-09-2020)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Mr.Buttons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,192 Times in 676 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 1958carnut View Post
    Celestique with a Celestial price huh?
    Would you have it any other way?

Three cheers for Cadillac (hopefully) crossing the $200k mark! YAY! \0/ YAY! \0/ YAY! \0/

While excited,I hope the Celestiq doesn't have the face of the Escala.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Buttons For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (03-09-2020)

SKH
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,819 Posts
    My Ride
    LR Discovery '17 SiliconSilver

Quote Originally Posted by Syclone478 View Post

If this car is truly amazing, then a lot of goodwill and cred will definitely trickle down to the more prosaic (if you can even call six figure Escalade’s prosaic!) offerings.

The Escalade interior is amazing, but mark my words, it’s just the beginning. Cadillac is on the verge of having the most striking, cohesive interior design language in the industry.

For those that think the Aviator has a beautiful interior, I predict it’ll soon look like a nineties Nissan when compared to what’s in Cadillac’s pipeline.

April 2nd would likely have given us a look at the next Cadillac (Lyriq)to get the ESCALA style OLED screen, but now that reveal is up in the air. Perhaps if the NY show isn’t cancelled they’ll debut it there rather than in L.A?
    Last edited by SKH; 03-09-2020 at 09:53 PM.

SKH
    Thanks
    My Ride

I’m intrigued by the OLED screen that spans the full width of the Celestiq dash. Byton is doing that and it looks awful, (Ham fisted) but with the New Escalade, Cadillac has shown pretty much every other manufacturer how you can design these large screens with flair, style and good taste. I think someone who has seen Celestiq’s screen, said it looks to be much better executed than on the Byton.
    Last edited by SKH; 03-09-2020 at 09:50 PM.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SKH For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (03-10-2020),Mr.Buttons (03-09-2020),Ute (03-09-2020)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Mr.Buttons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,192 Times in 676 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SKH View Post
    I’m intrigued by the OLED screen that spans the full width of the Celestiq dash. Byton is doing that and it looks awful, (Ham fisted) but with the New Escalade, Cadillac has shown pretty much every other manufacturer how you can design these large screens with flair, style and good taste. I think someone who has seen Celestiq’s screen, said it looks to be much better executed than on the Byton.
    The screen in the Celestiq better look much much better than the garbage they dropped onto the dash of the Byton.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,550 Times in 659 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Buttons View Post

Three cheers for Cadillac (hopefully) crossing the $200k mark! YAY! \0/ YAY! \0/ YAY! \0/

Well, if the Celestiq looked like the Escala, that would have been easy for car writers to say. Using terms like “it looks like nothing else on the road,” “striking” and such tells me it’s not the Escala.
    I am on the border of genius and crazy. I keep trying to cross over into genius, but ICE keeps sending me back to the crazy side of the border.

SKH
    Thanks
    My Ride

The screen in the Celestiq better look much much better than the garbage they dropped onto the dash of the Byton.
    I have full confidence Cadillac will get it right. The Escalade interior wasn’t simply a fluke. Cadillac’s designers really have a handle on what a modern interpretation of a luxury interior should look like. They're only just beginning to roll out this new design philosophy/aesthetic starting with the Escalade.

Prior to the Escalade’s reveal, a lot of people scoffed at the notion that Cadillac could compete with the heavy hitters like Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Range Rover in the interior/technology/luxury department. Most of those people aren’t scoffing now.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SKH For This Useful Post:

Mr.Buttons (03-10-2020),Ute (03-10-2020)

SKH
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Robert1969 View Post
    Well, if the Celestiq looked like the Escala, that would have been easy for car writers to say. Using terms like “it looks like nothing else on the road,” “striking” and such tells me it’s not the Escala.

Prior to leaving Cadillac, JDN said that in 2021 a Cadillac was coming that would leave onlookers slack jawed. I’m paraphrasing him there, but CELESTIQ must be the vehicle he was talking about.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to SKH For This Useful Post:

Mr.Buttons (03-10-2020)

SKH
    Thanks
    My Ride

What people are forgetting here, is nowadays, $200K is relative peanuts when you look at Various Porsche, Mercedes, Range Rovers, and those aren’t even ‘bespoke’ or hand made. No doubt there will be $250-300K versions of Celestiq for those with deep enough pockets.

I always wondered why Elon Musk didn’t think to offer hand built bespoke Tesla S/X. Selling a Tesla for $200k+ if it had a whole raft of customization options available, would be easy.

I’m guessing it’s because Tesla unlock features that are already built into the software, that costs the customers major bank, and Elon/Tesla virtually nothing. Customization likely doesn’t even have close to the ROI compared to what Elon makes on software adjustments. Customization actually takes a lot of skill, hard work, not to mention, countless man hours.

Btw. Celestiq’s flower petals suspended in epoxy sounds amazing. I bet that would be popular in the Asian markets, and I don’t mean that as a put down on their taste. It just shows that Celestiq will have out of the box thinking going into it’s execution/presentation.
    Last edited by SKH; 03-09-2020 at 11:47 PM.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to SKH For This Useful Post:

Mr.Buttons (03-10-2020)

29. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information