R&T:Cadillac's President Wasn't Surprised By Lukewarm Reaction to New V Cars - Page 3

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: R&T:Cadillac's President Wasn't Surprised By Lukewarm Reaction to New V Cars

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,595 Times in 789 Posts

Re: R&T:Cadillac's President Wasn't Surprised By Lukewarm Reaction to New V Cars

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    It was dumb especially when you look back on it now. Every single other company was developing CUV platforms. It was a very bad plan and I understand that development was already started in 2009 and before but at some point you have to re-evaluate what you are doing.
    Exactly...a CUV capable Alpha would've been way ahead of the game and we wouldn't be having these discussions. Like I said, I don't get the lack of CUV capability from Alpha...back in the day, Nissan used the same RWD platform for everything from the Z to the FX35/45...If Nissan can figure out platform flexibility, GM should've been able to perfect it.

Kind of reminds me of EP1 and how it was said that the platform couldn't support in-dash nav so they used OnStar turn-by-turn....How in the hell is that even possible?
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Hidden Content

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

ksr (08-01-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,874 Times in 1,314 Posts

Re: R&T:Cadillac's President Wasn't Surprised By Lukewarm Reaction to New V Cars

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    https://news.ihsmarkit.com/press-rel...le-body-style-

And this says it took until 2014 to get past sedans.

It's all in how you define it. Cars have been a dying breed for a very long time and for Cadillac to idiotically invest millions into Alpha at a time when the decline was already well into is one of the dumbest decisions they have made.
    You're absolutely right that it's been coming for a long time. Hell I was lamenting that people were buying sight-blocking, road-clogging blights like the Explorer thirty years ago.

But cars still held the majority of the market until 2013 or 2014 or thereabout. When Alpha was in R&D for years before that, car were still the majority of sales. So while yeah, it's true that Cadillac lacked foresight and that Alpha for sure should have been developed with CUV flexibility in mind, I don't know that anyone saw sedan sales falling off a cliff as they have since 2013.

Look at the drop in total numbers in that link I posted. It's catastrophic.
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information