R&T:Cadillac's President Wasn't Surprised By Lukewarm Reaction to New V Cars - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: R&T:Cadillac's President Wasn't Surprised By Lukewarm Reaction to New V Cars

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,251 Times in 2,445 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Re: R&T:Cadillac's President Wasn't Surprised By Lukewarm Reaction to New V Cars

Quote Originally Posted by JBsZ06 View Post

The speed of the shift to cuv s has beem faster and larger than expected...
    CUVs and SUVs outsold cars in 1999. It's not been a fast shift. Not at all.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    CTS-Vagon/11/BD Vette/16/blk

Re: R&T:Cadillac's President Wasn't Surprised By Lukewarm Reaction to New V Cars

Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    As I said JDN at least had an earthly clue as to what he was doing which is not a ringing endorsement for him but a statement of belief. He understood deeply, and to his core that the current way at Cadillac would never propel the brand forward. Something no one even including Barra seems to be aware of.
    We can just agree to disagree then. I believe in results, and I saw very little from him. Mary as much as she is dished continues to keep GM very profitable, and oversees albeit at the very top, products like the vette. Further, without JDN, cadillac is repricing the CT4/5 back down. I think it may have been him who had a hand in over reaching on pricing.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Vagon11 For This Useful Post:

jzchev28 (08-01-2019)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 CMiatso DaBang's Avatar
    Thanks
    Whether or not he knew how the enthusiasts were going to react or is inconsequential... What he needed to be was prepared to make an immediate change or be ready to sweeten the deal if things went south.. They did. He did. Case closed. He even did it way before the damn car was going to be available.

Cadillac had two of the greatest performance luxury cars on the planet.. And most of U cry baby arm chair ceos didn't buy because the one of them had a plain gauge cluster and the other one was.. was... was perfect.. Yeah.. That should be confusing to any marketing exec or brand manager
    My current crop is 2016 CTSV Fully loaded, 2016 Corvette Z06 3LT fully loaded, 2015 GMC Yukon SLT Fully loaded, 2014 Impala LTZ, fully loaded, 2011 Chevy Cruze (kid's) LTZ, fully loaded, 1966 Chevy Impala SS 396 4spd Muncie 3.73 gears, 2003 Harley Softail with Rinehart exhaust, 2016 Harley Night Rod Special

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CMiatso DaBang For This Useful Post:

jzchev28 (08-01-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,722 Times in 1,266 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    CUVs and SUVs outsold cars in 1999. It's not been a fast shift. Not at all.
    Are you sure about this? According to an article I'm reading, cars had 50% of the market as recently as 2013. Cars have been collapsing since.

https://www.cartalk.com/blogs/jim-mo...tory-suv-mania
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ksr For This Useful Post:

jzchev28 (08-01-2019),megeebee (07-31-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,231 Times in 1,932 Posts

Question Re: R&T:Cadillac's President Wasn't Surprised By Lukewarm Reaction to New V Cars

Quote Originally Posted by CMiatso DaBang View Post

Cadillac had two of the greatest performance luxury cars on the planet.. And most of U cry baby arm chair ceos didn't buy because well, you can't afford one anyway.
    Fixed.
    "The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere the ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity. "

W.B. Yeats- 1919

11. The Following User Says Thank You to megeebee For This Useful Post:

jzchev28 (08-01-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by megeebee View Post

Cadillac had two of the greatest performance luxury cars on the planet.. And most of U cry baby arm chair ceos didn't buy because well, you can't afford one anyway.
    Fixed. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]
    Truth
    My current crop is 2016 CTSV Fully loaded, 2016 Corvette Z06 3LT fully loaded, 2015 GMC Yukon SLT Fully loaded, 2014 Impala LTZ, fully loaded, 2011 Chevy Cruze (kid's) LTZ, fully loaded, 1966 Chevy Impala SS 396 4spd Muncie 3.73 gears, 2003 Harley Softail with Rinehart exhaust, 2016 Harley Night Rod Special

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,626 Times in 3,216 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

This is the wrong leader for Cadillac. He speaks like a Chevrolet man

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2001 Trans Am Black

Quote Originally Posted by Vagon11 View Post
    We can just agree to disagree then. I believe in results, and I saw very little from him. Mary as much as she is dished continues to keep GM very profitable, and oversees albeit at the very top, products like the vette. Further, without JDN, cadillac is repricing the CT4/5 back down. I think it may have been him who had a hand in over reaching on pricing.
    JdN had a vision for what he wanted Cadillac to be, which was a top tier luxury competitor. The wheels of motion for building a portfolio of attractive, world class sedans was underway before his tenure, but at least it gave Caddy a foundation. Yes, he overreached with the pricing too quickly, ie CTS, and one can argue about the naming convention. Falling behind with CUV's was a miss. But read his interviews vs. Carlisle's. JdN was at least able to expound upon a long term plan. Carlisle's are pure word salad "Let Cadillac be Cadillac". JdN understood the need to build a brand to gather credence in the luxury market place - and you can argue whether or not he was successful at all with the Cadillac name. However the "V" moniker (like Escalade) was at least SOMETHING in the portfolio that had some solid level of brand equity. Most people, and all "car" people, know what a V car is. Is it yet M or AMG, probably not. But performance wise it was in the realm.

What has Caddy done under the new tenure? Now no one knows what "V" is anymore, since now it's on some warmed over 330hp sedan with a 4 cylinder truck motor. Oh but there will be different levels? Well now you've successfully devalued a "V". You had "V-sport", to use just as BMW does with it's lower M versions that aren't a true M. Blackwing becomes the top level. Great, so 20 years of "V" being the top level now wiped out, and it'll take another 20 years for Blackwing to become the known quantity. Where's the logic in that?

What else did they do - move to this asinine newton-meter badging nomenclature. Which no one in the general public will understand and as one publication already pointed out, the astute reader is going to note that in cases such as the XT5 the 2.0T offering has similar torque output to the 3.6 version but GM's choice is to round down the T4 and round up the V6, so the math doesn't even makes sense.

mbuk nailed it, Caddy has a guy who thinks like a Chevy brand manager running their luxury division.
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am
    2016 Chevy SS Sedan
    2017 Chevy Traverse

Past:
    2016 Chevy Traverse
    2012 Buick Regal GS
    2010 Chevy Traverse
    2003 Cadillac Seville SLS
    2003 Chevy Blazer M5
    1989 Pontiac Firebird

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NHRATA01 For This Useful Post:

bballr4567 (08-01-2019),sdotjeezy (08-01-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by ksr View Post
    Are you sure about this? According to an article I'm reading, cars had 50% of the market as recently as 2013. Cars have been collapsing since.

https://www.cartalk.com/blogs/jim-mo...tory-suv-mania
    https://news.ihsmarkit.com/press-rel...le-body-style-

And this says it took until 2014 to get past sedans.

It's all in how you define it. Cars have been a dying breed for a very long time and for Cadillac to idiotically invest millions into Alpha at a time when the decline was already well into is one of the dumbest decisions they have made.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,293 Times in 654 Posts

It's all in how you define it. Cars have been a dying breed for a very long time and for Cadillac to idiotically invest millions into Alpha at a time when the decline was already well into is one of the dumbest decisions they have made.
    I wouldn't say 100% Alpha itself was a dumb decision...the dumb part is making Alpha not able to support a CUV. I read somewhere here that the lead engineer for Alpha hated CUVs and intentionally engineered it so that it could never underpin a CUV. If that is the case, I hope that he/she gets blackballed and is never left in charge of leading a project of that scale ever again.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Hidden Content

Thanks

Because the didn't need to have world class car platforms for the market? Please. Also.. stop acting like the investment hasn't paid off.. U people constantly act as tho because NAmerica's fat ass population gave a "lukewarm" reception to the 2012-2019 Alphas... that other parts of the world didn't embrace them.. namely their largest market in China. Again... Caddy should give the U.S. the middle finger for giving more love to Acura's boring.. Lexus' boring.. Audi's horrible reliability sedans over theirs. Also.. how much do really think the investment in Alpha by Cadillac was considering the Alpha platform is a group effort by GM for both Caddy and Chevy over 3 vehicles?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    I wouldn't say 100% Alpha itself was a dumb decision...the dumb part is making Alpha not able to support a CUV. I read somewhere here that the lead engineer for Alpha hated CUVs and intentionally engineered it so that it could never underpin a CUV. If that is the case, I hope that he/she gets blackballed and is never left in charge of leading a project of that scale ever again.
    That's ludicrous.. man.. how long have I been absent that I pick right up with y'alls crazy innuendos? Not to mention that today's definition of a CUV is way different than before thanks to BMW and Benz. One could easily make a CUV out of the Alpha platform by simply making it a damn hatch or wagon and raising it a few inches

Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Because the didn't need to have world class car platforms for the market? Please. Also.. stop acting like the investment hasn't paid off.. U people constantly act as tho because NAmerica's fat ass population gave a "lukewarm" reception to the 2012-2019 Alphas... that other parts of the world didn't embrace them.. namely their largest market in China. Again... Caddy should give the U.S. the middle finger for giving more love to Acura's boring.. Lexus' boring.. Audi's horrible reliability sedans over theirs. Also.. how much do really think the investment in Alpha by Cadillac was considering the Alpha platform is a group effort by GM for both Caddy and Chevy over 3 vehicles?
    I'm not sure what rant you are going on but Alphas have under performed their markets every where. ATS sold good for ONE year. CTS sold good for MAYBE two years.

Alpha is an absolute and utter failure when it comes to profits. It is what it is. You can't deny that every single car undersold. Camaro had a 85,000 yearly projection.

Alpha II had a $175 million investment. Alpha itself?? OVER $1 BILLION

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,293 Times in 654 Posts

That's ludicrous.. man.. how long have I been absent that I pick right up with y'alls crazy innuendos? Not to mention that today's definition of a CUV is way different than before thanks to BMW and Benz. One could easily make a CUV out of the Alpha platform by simply making it a damn hatch or wagon and raising it a few inches
    It ain't my innuendo, I'm just repeating what someone else posted. I agree, it should be damn simple to raise an alpha and put a hatch on it to make a CUV...But there was some counter argument around raising the roof height which they claimed was impossible w/ Alpha. Which led to the engineer thing.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    It was dumb especially when you look back on it now. Every single other company was developing CUV platforms. It was a very bad plan and I understand that development was already started in 2009 and before but at some point you have to re-evaluate what you are doing.

23. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information