R&T:Cadillac's President Wasn't Surprised By Lukewarm Reaction to New V Cars

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: R&T:Cadillac's President Wasn't Surprised By Lukewarm Reaction to New V Cars

Thanks
    Thanked 3,231 Times in 1,932 Posts

R&T:Cadillac's President Wasn't Surprised By Lukewarm Reaction to New V Cars

We spoke with Steve Carlisle to learn more about the brand's next generation of sport sedans.

BY CHRIS PERKINS
    JUL 30, 2019

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...sle-interview/

Last year, Johan de Nysschen abruptly left his position as president of Cadillac after four years at the helm. Early in his tenure, the brand moved its headquarters to New York City from Detroit; in September, it announced it was moving back to Michigan. A few months after that, GM said it would shutter a number of plants in the US, including the Detroit-Hamtramck plant that produces Cadillac's flagship CT6 sedan. Then earlier this summer, Cadillac introduced new V-series versions of its CT4 and CT5 sedans (pictured above) that have a lot less power, and seemingly less race-track capability than the old ATS- and CTS-V.

All worrying for a brand that, in the last few years, developed serious enthusiast credentials. It seemed those might go away, with Cadillac being forced to conform to what's happening elsewhere in GM.
    More at link above
    "The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere the ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity. "

W.B. Yeats- 1919

2. The Following User Says Thank You to megeebee For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (07-31-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar PHAT-JAY's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: R&T:Cadillac's President Wasn't Surprised By Lukewarm Reaction to New V Cars

I bet he wasn't....

if you knew there will be such a reaction, then why do it.
    IF IT AINT RWD; AND A CHEVY I DONT RIDE IT!!!!!

ALL CHEVY'S NEED TO BE RWD!!!!!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PHAT-JAY For This Useful Post:

CadillacSA (07-31-2019),sdotjeezy (07-31-2019)

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,707 Times in 1,260 Posts

Re: R&T:Cadillac's President Wasn't Surprised By Lukewarm Reaction to New V Cars

Quote Originally Posted by PHAT-JAY View Post
    I bet he wasn't....

Maybe he reads GMI and figures that no matter when Cadillac does, it will get trashed.
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ksr For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (07-31-2019),dannyg (07-31-2019),DAyers (07-31-2019),jzchev28 (08-01-2019),megeebee (07-31-2019),Vagon11 (07-31-2019),wallus13 (07-31-2019)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 616 Posts

I bet he wasn't....

Pretty much what I was going to say...if you know you're doing something that is going to get a negative reaction from your customers...then why do it in the first place.

Only reason here is they're doing that crap that everybody is doing nowadays, and that is to do something controversial to get everyone talking about you then pivot to what you really want them to see. Marketing by millennials...I wouldn't be surprised if Cadillac put out ads saying stuff like "Jennifer drove the new CT5v, what happens next will bring tears to your eyes" or something of the like. Clickbait marketing at its finest.

GM did the same ish w/ the Silverado HD, they intentionally put out the crappy pic to get us talking about it...then pivoted to the High Country/Custom Trims to get the reaction they were looking for.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Hidden Content

Thanks

I bet he wasn't....

The products were not his doing. They had been planned and executed long before his appointment.
    "The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere the ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity. "

W.B. Yeats- 1919

11. The Following User Says Thank You to megeebee For This Useful Post:

Vagon11 (07-31-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by megeebee View Post
    The products were not his doing. They had been planned and executed long before his appointment.
    I think we can safely assume that these were initially going to be V sports when the gray CT4-V was spotted wearing a V sport badge. The change came from his regime.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Hidden Content

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

CadillacSA (07-31-2019),Ed753 (08-01-2019)

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    CTS-Vagon/11/BD Vette/16/blk

Quote Originally Posted by megeebee View Post
    Yeah I kind of thought JDN was over rated. His signature achievements were "dare greatly" and moving to NYC. Neither seemed worth much to me.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Vagon11 For This Useful Post:

DequindreToo (07-31-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vagon11 View Post
    Yeah I kind of thought JDN was over rated. His signature achievements were "dare greatly" and moving to NYC. Neither seemed worth much to me.
    To be fair, the move to NYC was not his doing. It had been set in stone before his tenure.

Also, the new TT V8 was done on his watch too.
    Last edited by megeebee; 07-31-2019 at 11:30 AM.

W.B. Yeats- 1919

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) germeezy1's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

JDN at least had an earthly clue what was he was doing. The ineptness exhibited by Cadillac here borders on gross incompetence.
    I want a car so violent that the mere thought of full throttle would cause a heart attack. That actually going wide open throttle in would result in nothing less than instant death!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to germeezy1 For This Useful Post:

CadillacSA (07-31-2019),Extreme4x4 (07-31-2019),gkr778 (07-31-2019),sdotjeezy (07-31-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    14 A/T 6.2 BEAST MODE

What an answer

"Yeah we kind of figured what we did sucked, oh well...."

GM sure knows how to hire top talent.......

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigdog For This Useful Post:

CadillacSA (07-31-2019)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,237 Times in 2,436 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

"The visceral reaction to that—maybe not in a good way—before you tell the whole story, it's pretty amazing," Carlisle said. "It just tells you how much emotion that there is around these performance sedans."

"You can always have steps and gradations in terms of what you offer, and who you make it accessible to, and how," he continued. "And that's really where we're going."

Carlisle said he wasn't surprised by the mixed reaction to the new Vs. "It's been a bit, kind of fun,"

Why the hell didn't Cadillac just hold these Vs back?!?! It was absolutely idiotic to think reaction would be happy to them. Just another gaffe from a GM lifer.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to bballr4567 For This Useful Post:

germeezy1 (07-31-2019)

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    CTS-Vagon/11/BD Vette/16/blk

Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    JDN at least had an earthly clue what was he was doing. The ineptness exhibited by Cadillac here borders on gross incompetence.
    Except for the new V8TT engine, can you name some specifics you think JDN achieved? As I said before, all I am aware of is the engine, the move to NYC and "Dare Greatly". I imagine he had a hand in the XT6, which I think is ok, but almost obvious. Sales under JDN tanked.

Thanks

Except for the new V8TT engine, can you name some specifics you think JDN achieved? As I said before, all I am aware of is the engine, the move to NYC and "Dare Greatly". I imagine he had a hand in the XT6, which I think is ok, but almost obvious. Sales under JDN tanked.
    I don't think the sales tanking had anything to do w/ JDN...a decision was made before he came on board to focus on sedans...the sedan market bottomed out. Little he can do about that.

All they did was the engine?!?!?! That's actually a pretty big deal and indicative of where he was trying to go with what he had at his disposal. The current regime, what have they done? Oh...that's right, they gave the V series a fat steaming Hot Carl and introduced quite possibly the lamest sounding sub brand: "Blackwing". Not off to a good start.

"Dare Greatly" as opposed to what now? Do they even have a tagline?
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Hidden Content

25. The Following User Says Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

germeezy1 (07-31-2019)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) germeezy1's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

As I said JDN at least had an earthly clue as to what he was doing which is not a ringing endorsement for him but a statement of belief. He understood deeply, and to his core that the current way at Cadillac would never propel the brand forward. Something no one even including Barra seems to be aware of.
    I want a car so violent that the mere thought of full throttle would cause a heart attack. That actually going wide open throttle in would result in nothing less than instant death!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,550 Times in 1,018 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

So if this president of cadillac says these products that i had very little to do with are relatively average products in this cuv hot market he is called inept..lf this gentleman had said these are going to rip open the near luxury sedan market he would be called less than in check with reality...

The sedan market is waning. The cuv market is where cadillac will introduce new and exciting products ..(hopefully)

Product development requires about five years to come to market..

Very few analysts would have foreseen this huge degree in which the market would shift so quickly.

The speed of the shift to cuv s has beem faster and larger than expected...
    2008 black c6 corvette z51 m6 on black c7 z51 19/20s and 2018 Bright red alfa stelvio ti sport on 20 s with sport seats

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JBsZ06 For This Useful Post:

germeezy1 (07-31-2019),jzchev28 (08-01-2019)

29. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information