As automakers walk away from sedans as family transportation, it seems ever more categories and niches are being created for the now-omnipresent SUV. Across these multiple sizes, shapes, and price points, we tested the latest models at the 2021 MotorTrend SUV of the Year competition—thoroughly evaluating nearly 30 vehicles in all, with the group ranging from rugged trail climbers and mall-crawling soft-roaders to the fastest zero-to-Montessori rides in the carpool lane. Below, you'll find our top six finalists for 2021 MotorTrend SUV of the Year plus every other contender for the award. Be sure to check back Monday, October 19, when we reveal the 2021 SUV of the Year!
2021 MotorTrend SUV of the Year Finalists
• Cadillac Escalade | The Boss Is Back
• Genesis GV80 | Seriously Impressive
• Land Rover Defender | Great Anywhere
• Kia Seltos | Mini Telluride
• Nissan Rogue | Way, Way Better
• Toyota Venza | Lexus Lite