GM Inside News Forum banner

Pick The 2020 Motor Trend SUV Of The Year

9K views 63 replies 26 participants last post by  Mr.Buttons 
#1 ·
Motor Trend
October 16, 2020

As automakers walk away from sedans as family transportation, it seems ever more categories and niches are being created for the now-omnipresent SUV. Across these multiple sizes, shapes, and price points, we tested the latest models at the 2021 MotorTrend SUV of the Year competition—thoroughly evaluating nearly 30 vehicles in all, with the group ranging from rugged trail climbers and mall-crawling soft-roaders to the fastest zero-to-Montessori rides in the carpool lane. Below, you'll find our top six finalists for 2021 MotorTrend SUV of the Year plus every other contender for the award. Be sure to check back Monday, October 19, when we reveal the 2021 SUV of the Year!
2021 MotorTrend SUV of the Year Finalists

• Cadillac Escalade | The Boss Is Back
• Genesis GV80 | Seriously Impressive
• Land Rover Defender | Great Anywhere
• Kia Seltos | Mini Telluride
• Nissan Rogue | Way, Way Better
• Toyota Venza | Lexus Lite

#11 ·
That would be my bet as well. Not exactly the strongest field this year.......

Reactions: 1958carnut
#13 ·
My money is on the Escalade. Isn't part of their criteria "bringing something new to the segment" part of the criteria? The Genesis seems like its main selling point is value, not sure if "value" is bringing something new. However, while not earth shattering, the Escalade does bring that spiffy new oLED screen. Otherwise I can't comment on how good the Escalade is as we've not seen any reviews yet. Based off of the Tahoe/Yukon I do expect good things.... I have my fingers crossed for GM!

#17 ·
Because it's a redesigned for 2021 Nissan Rogue from the ground up, and Nissan's best selling vehicle. The GM triplets were in the same boat, redesigned from the ground up for 2021. However, the Rogue won't win over the rest of the competition, especially since the GM triplets are such a giant leap forward from where they were. This coming from someone who owns Nissans. The GV80 is a close competitor this year being an all new option, but I think it's the Escalade for the win.

#21 ·
The GV80's interior is absolutely phenomenal and maybe the best in the luxury SUV market, even beating most ultra-lux SUVs. However, the powertrain is lackluster at best and the suspension system is no where close to what defines luxury standards. Genesis is improving one model at a time and quite possibly be a threat to the Germans in the future. I think the Escalade is the complete luxury package that scores very high in all categories. The Boss is back, correct.

#22 · (Edited)
It’s the “Chevy parts here and there” for me while the Genesis is praised for its interior pretty much entirely.

Harsh ride and engine can be updated within a model year update.

The Genesis deserves this as does the Escalade but it’s first effort is a better effort than something known around the world as being “the King”. Escalade has had over two decades to get it perfect. I wasn’t expecting a Bentayga or Cullinan level SUV from the newest Escalade (although my fingers were crossed) but I did expect it’s own sheet metal for it to ride into six figures like it does optioned out. The Escalade rear seating area is still neglected compared to its competitors. The dash and sound system is amazing though. I’ll give it that.

#23 ·
I think the GV80 gets the nod despite it's ride issues because of what it is, that being an entirely new product. The Escalade according to the reviewers here has its own ride issues as well while not as "extreme". I like the new Escalade, but I don't think it went far enough.

It'll be interesting reading the direct comparos to the Navigator to see if what I think is really the case, that besides the large screen it doesn't do anything to truly surpass the Navigator.

#32 · (Edited)
^^^^^ @wtgkb8

That's good to hear about the latest Maximas; I can't really get down with their looks. I had a 2003 Maxima for a few years and I really enjoyed driving it. I'd still have it had I not made the poor decision in passing it to my daughter whom quickly murdered it (tsk tsk).

So what vehicles in GM's roster do you like (since it appears that you like Nissans a a bit)?

**edit**

Didn't realize (I spell realize with a "ZED" means I'm Murican ;)) you've been around since 2005...lol

#34 ·
I've had several Maximas as rentals. As someone who is always traveling for work rental cars are a weekly thing. This generation Maxima is one of my favorites, I'm always happy to get one. The styling may be a bit much for some, but overall it's a fantastic drive.

Really too bad to hear the GV80 has ride problems. A harsh ride in a luxury suv will have it crossed off many shoppers lists.

#49 · (Edited)
The Escalade interior doesn't impress me compared to Land Rover, Lincoln, & Mercedes. It's just generic swoopy molded forms, no material finesse or architectural substance to the design. What is impressive are the amenities and the vehicle as a whole. The dash display is fun, that's about all I can say, the overall effect is just acres of black glossy plastic and small usable display areas.

#57 · (Edited)
I saw another Defender tonight. Silver and pretty well kitted out. It’s much better in person and is definitely distinctive. What’s crazy, is that I saw the Defender 6 years and one month ago in a market research, and the car on sale now, is at least 98% the same Inside and out as I was shown all that time ago.

The only difference iirc is the internal Graphic of the headlights, and I’m not sure if it had the Tiny little Squircle taillights flanking the bigger inboard ones.

I was also shown a massive rendering of the Defender 130. As it hasn’t been revealed I’m still sworn to secrecy, but if they still plan on making it, it’s on the same wheelbase as the 110, but is about 14” longer aft of the rear wheels. That info is in the public domain so I’m safe to speak about that. We were shown the 130 to pick between 3 different tail designs.

To be honest I wouldn’t be surprised if the 130 is stillborn. Just put the Big Discovery on the 119” WB of the Defender to make a LWB version, and have that be the Land Rover full 7 seater. Make it much more luxurious than a Defender, and then The Disco can move more upmarket and it would occupy a different place than the the Defender within LR’s product portfolio..

Do to the Discovery what they did to the LR3 when it became the much more sophisticated LR4. This wouldn’t make the Discovery 5 into the Discovery 6 (More like Disco 5, 2.0) As the Discovery 6 is a 100% new and very handsome design based on the new MLA platform.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.