Next level V series to be called Blackwing. - Page 3

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Next level V series to be called Blackwing.

Thanks

Re: Next level V series to be called Blackwing.

Quote Originally Posted by LowRider View Post
    Same five or six people that bitch about everything Cadillac does. Every thread - same five or six - like clockwork.
    Or...maybe GM isn't doing right by Cadillac and we're the only 5-6 people on the forum that can see it because we're not easily impressed by everything Cadillac does. I mean...seriously some of you are impressed by the XTsux, like seriously impressed.

Where are those first drive reviews? You're not curious at all as to why GM hasn't put a car out for an official review by any one of the major publications?

So lets do a quick rundown of what GM did here:
    1. Named an engine "Blackwing"
    2. Planned to put blackwing in CT6 VSport and Platinum - unknown at this point what was going to go into full V
    3. Killed VSport CT6 and renamed to V with Blackwing V8
    4. Initially planned to release the weaksauce CT4/5 V as VSports, how do we know, someone screwed the pooch and let one out for testing w/ VSport badging
    5. released the weaksauce CT4/5 Vs as full Vs w/ both under 400hp, screwing any sort of reputation V had because VSport in their eyes failed to gain traction
    6. Decided to name what used to be the full on V after an engine that all of the adorned cars may not have

So...in short, they took a badge that meant something then made it not mean what it used to mean because the previous badge that the cars used to have didn't mean anything. So they then took the cars that made the previous badge mean something and then put a stupid badge on it in hopes that badge can mean something when the entire time they could've just changed nothing at all.

now instead of having 1 badge that meant something and another that didn't mean anything but made sense, you screw over the badge that meant something and create a new badge that noone knows what it means...is it an engine, is it a trim, who knows..."Blackwing" yeah that sounds cool! /sarcasm

Dang...that wasn't short at all.
    Last edited by sdotjeezy; 07-01-2019 at 12:24 PM.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '17 Nissan Versa Note

Hidden Content

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

Extreme4x4 (07-01-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,125 Times in 2,378 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme4x4 View Post
    You forgot the 400 / 450 / 500 / 550 / 600 etc for the NM of torque.
    Sticking with GM consistancy....they arent using Nm badging for the V cars.

I agree with sdot here, the Blackwing CT6 is not a V but we will have a CT5V Blackwing with the exact same motor??? Oi. Changing badge/nomenclatures three times in three years it tough.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bballr4567 For This Useful Post:

Extreme4x4 (07-01-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,517 Times in 3,806 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by ksr View Post
    The indignation over the name is almost laughable.

It's not like they're renaming Corvette to Chevmobile.

V Series has a certain heritage, but as it applies to multiple vehicles (hence, "series") and it's not going away. There will still be a V Series, but more of them. "Blackwing" may not mean much, but it has kind of a cool sound. If it's a great new engine and the rest of the cars using that moniker are great, it will be embraced.
    Funny part it seems like their is widespread acceptance of making the Corvette a lineup and not just the name of one vehicle. That seems somewhat confusing.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar 61BelAir's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 6.0LL76 View Post
    Per usual the negative nellies are out in force 1st. So now they actually call it a name and not some alphabet soup nonsense and its still not good enough. Be honest to some of you no matter what Cadillac does it will never be good enough.
    Ding ding ding.....winner winner, chicken dinner! Ya can't please all of the people all of the time, which, on GMI there's no truer statement. This forum has just about run its course with me, the negative replies and constant bickering is getting old. Maybe I've changed, but I really enjoyed GMI back in 2004 when I first joined, now....not so much.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 61BelAir For This Useful Post:

megeebee (07-01-2019),Syclone478 (07-01-2019),Vagon11 (07-01-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Funny part it seems like their is widespread acceptance of making the Corvette a lineup and not just the name of one vehicle. That seems somewhat confusing.
    Because Corvette has some clout that can be used elsewhere, the Front Engine C7 can still exist alongside the C8, a V8 (or perf hybrid V6) powered alpha CUV can attract Cayenne buyers and a V8 Sedan (think stretched C7) can snap up Panamera buyers. None of these recommendations damage the Corvette brand, they expand the brand. Corvette is already too big for Chevrolet's britches so spinning it off isn't that big a hit to GM. Anyway, all that is pie in the sky...knowing GM they'd just slap a Corvette badge on an AWD Blazer if given the chance.

Cadillac just killed a series, *******ized a series and introduced a stupid sounding series...a net loss of 2 when they could've just tried to continue building the VSport series.
    Last edited by sdotjeezy; 07-01-2019 at 11:44 AM.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '17 Nissan Versa Note

Hidden Content

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

While it is true that you do have some members on this forum who will never say a good thing about Cadillac there is an issue with this rebranding that Cadillac as done. By calling it blackwing the same name as their new engine I would conclude that all of the models that get a blackwing trim will have some version of the twin turbo 4.2L engine.

What this tells me is that the CT4 will not get a blackwing trim as I don't see them putting this engine in there however I could be wrong here. Also as stated that CT6 V which has a blackwing engine won't be called a blackwing trim, no Cadillac should have kept V sport and kept V series where it was. They ****ed up Z06 branding and now they have ****ed up V series branding all so that they can make more money with absolutely no effort put into it. Take a regular car a give it the V series badge, why not take the Chevy Cruze at this point and give it a Cadillac badge along with V series badge and call it a day I mean they would sell a ton of V series Cadillac's then. All of this after being so disciplined with the V series branding over a number of vehicles they have made the decision to throw all of that into the toilet, well I hope it works out for them but this is a silly move.

They said that V sport wasn't taking off like they wanted it to be but there was only one V sport and sometimes you have to stick to something before it takes off. They want to walk in and have something become an instant success and if it doesn't then they just throw it away, the other side of this coin is if it does become an instant success they over produce it until it fails then they throw it away. The Pontiac Fiero is just another example of this being done at GM and sadly in 2019 they are repeating some old mistakes where they produced 136,000 in the first year. Who in their right mind thinks that there is a market for 130,000 to 140,000 sports car each year in the US market? GM sucks when it comes to niche market as they only think one way and that is mainstream. If they can't sell a million then they don't want to sell a single one of them.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roadkillz For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (07-01-2019),Extreme4x4 (07-01-2019)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 rockyspaw's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    09 G6 GXP 05 Rainier 81 Vette

The top-of-the-line, hottest version will be called the Buffalowing!
    I wish they all could be California squirrels!
    Past Rides: 2003 Grand Am GT1 (saved me), 1995 Bonneville SLE (RIP), 1986 635 CSi, 1984 Estate Wagon, 1978 Malibu Classic, 1978 Corvette, 1975 Vega Kammback (Miss ya'), 1971 Dodge Dart Swinger (STFU...it got me there!)

"Nothing happens until something happens then everything happens!"

14. The Following User Says Thank You to rockyspaw For This Useful Post:

sdotjeezy (07-01-2019)

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    CTS-Vagon/11/BD Vette/16/blk

Quote Originally Posted by roadkillz View Post
    While it is true that you do have some members on this forum who will never say a good thing about Cadillac there is an issue with this rebranding that Cadillac as done. By calling it blackwing the same name as their new engine I would conclude that all of the models that get a blackwing trim will have some version of the twin turbo 4.2L engine.

What this tells me is that the CT4 will not get a blackwing trim as I don't see them putting this engine in there however I could be wrong here. Also as stated that CT6 V which has a blackwing engine won't be called a blackwing trim, no Cadillac should have kept V sport and kept V series where it was. They ****ed up Z06 branding and now they have ****ed up V series branding all so that they can make more money with absolutely no effort put into it. Take a regular car a give it the V series badge, why not take the Chevy Cruze at this point and give it a Cadillac badge along with V series badge and call it a day I mean they would sell a ton of V series Cadillac's then. All of this after being so disciplined with the V series branding over a number of vehicles they have made the decision to throw all of that into the toilet, well I hope it works out for them but this is a silly move.

They said that V sport wasn't taking off like they wanted it to be but there was only one V sport and sometimes you have to stick to something before it takes off. They want to walk in and have something become an instant success and if it doesn't then they just throw it away, the other side of this coin is if it does become an instant success they over produce it until it fails then they throw it away. The Pontiac Fiero is just another example of this being done at GM and sadly in 2019 they are repeating some old mistakes where they produced 136,000 in the first year. Who in their right mind thinks that there is a market for 130,000 to 140,000 sports car each year in the US market? GM sucks when it comes to niche market as they only think one way and that is mainstream. If they can't sell a million then they don't want to sell a single one of them.
    Blackwing could also end up meaning a hand assembled engine. I thought only the hand assembled 4.2TT was called blackwing. Personally, I think blackwing sounds better than V. But to each their own. I could care less what they call it. I'd like to see a few more ponies. Maybe they can boost it to get up to the 650 they had with the current gen.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Vagon11 For This Useful Post:

Syclone478 (07-01-2019)

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,193 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    And this supposed muddling of the V Series reputation and heritage by having different levels within it.

And this is more confusing to the average car buyer how than having a V Series and a V Sport?
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,306 Times in 1,075 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    SMFH...So the CT6V with the Blackwing isn't a Blackwing but a V....but the CT4 Blackwing without the Blackwing is going to be a Blackwing...then you have the CT5 Blackwing, will it have the same Blackwing as the Blackwing non Blackwing CT6?
    When you put it like that it makes perfect sense!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to SP1966 For This Useful Post:

Ed753 (07-01-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    18 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by ksr View Post
    And this supposed muddling of the V Series reputation and heritage by having different levels within it.

And this is more confusing to the average car buyer how than having a V Series and a V Sport?
    it's just something for the same ten people to complain about. If it wasn't this it would be the lower door panels or the window trim. Meanwhile Lincoln puts out luxury cars based on the FWD Fusion and there's 20 pages of gushing from the same ten posters. It's pretty easy to see. Unfortunately they've basically destroyed this forum.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LowRider For This Useful Post:

megeebee (07-01-2019),Syclone478 (07-01-2019),Vagon11 (07-01-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LowRider View Post
    it's just something for the same ten people to complain about. If it wasn't this it would be the lower door panels or the window trim. Meanwhile Lincoln puts out luxury cars based on the FWD Fusion and there's 20 pages of gushing from the same ten posters. It's pretty easy to see. Unfortunately they've basically destroyed this forum.
    The only people who continuously bring up the Continental are you guys bitching about people praising the Continental...please show us 20 pages of Continental praise.

Quote Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
    When you put it like that it makes perfect sense!
    Exactly its amazing how something so stupid sounding makes so much sense to corporate big-wigs...how much money do these guys make again? Someone should've explained it to them exactly like this so that they can see how stupid the direction was.
    Last edited by sdotjeezy; 07-01-2019 at 04:55 PM.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '17 Nissan Versa Note

Hidden Content

23. The Following User Says Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

Ed753 (07-01-2019)

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by roadkillz View Post

How about just releasing the information on what vehicles will actually get the motor. I don't really care what they call it if the motor is as powerful and efficient as advertised. Any thing to remove the bad taste in my mouth from the big reveal last month. I never saw much traction with the "V" series but would consider the Blackwing CT5 if we get the CT6-V motor. My last 3 cars have been european because of the turbo motors, the supercharger on the CTS -V was far too noisy and still lost power at altitude where I live. Cadillac's will sell themselves no matter what they're called if they can smoke the AMG and M cars with more power considering the chassis should still be world class. 4 wheel drive, 10 speed and non turbo lag motor should be quite the power-train.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Syclone478's Avatar
    Thanks

Sounds good to my ear. I personally think the Blackwing models should do without the "V" in the name but maybe be included in the badging graphics (to symbolize the family connection).

On a side note, does anyone know for certain how much of a hand Johan had in the Cadillac's we're seeing now? Model structure/cadence? Design? Blackwing branding? How much credit/responsibility is due him regarding current affairs? Personally, I think Cadillac is better off without him and the brand improved despite him not because of him.

The only people who continuously bring up the Continental are you guys bitching about people praising the Continental...please show us 20 pages of Continental praise.
    Did you seriously ask him to provide proof that 20 pages actually exist somewhere; suggesting an inability to do so invalidates his point? Have you never employed a figure of speech?

I personally recall plenty of gushing on here about pretty much every new Lincoln, for years now, from the same suspects. From their not-so-industry-shattering quiet luxury phase to their we-really-do-like-FWD Audi-esque pitch, the apologists could always find (or fabricate) a silver lining. It's fairly obvious Lincoln-leg-humpers (a seemingly innocuous term on here, having been used previously to describe GM fans) generally fall along the same lines as those who are perpetually hypercritical of Cadillac... but of course, they only hate on Cadillac because they loooove Cadillac so much (and up is down, and on is off, and in is out).

Exactly its amazing how something so stupid sounding makes so much sense to corporate big-wigs...how much money do these guys make again? Someone should've explained it to them exactly like this so that they can see how stupid the direction was.
    It's amazing some people will hyperventilate over hypothetical scenarios. Slow your love down. We do not know Cadillac's whole strategy, which increasingly looks quite thought out. More specifically, we do not know that the fun-syntax scenario you constructed will happen. It may or it may not but you got worked up over it nonetheless, and dragged at least one other soul along with you.

The funny thing about fanaticism is that is does not exclusively 'play up' a side; it ferociously 'tears down' opposition too. Interestingly, a black cloud must always be found in Cadillac's silver linings by the faithful, few, true Cadillac lovers on GMI. Preconceptions affect presumptions, and certain members' preconceptions are really crystallizing lately.

It's all in the patterns. The opinions and phraseology of certain members run near exclusively and predictably in fixed directions for specific brands, while most everyone else is able to find good and bad in both personal-favorite and competitor brands.
    Hidden Content
    Autos of Interest is a collection of media and information covering automobiles of all forms, from conceptual artwork to production models, and everything in between. Features include backstories and exclusive content, with a focus on often overlooked models. Hidden Content

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Syclone478 For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (07-02-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,039 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Syclone478 View Post
    On a side note, does anyone know for certain how much of a hand Johan had in the Cadillac's we're seeing now? Model structure/cadence? Design? Blackwing branding? How much credit/responsibility is due him regarding current affairs? Personally, I think Cadillac is better off without him and the brand improved despite him not because of him.
    Is this a serious question? It's pretty well documented at this point, and you are totally wrong. He was the greatest thing to happen to Cadillac and was relentlessly crippled by GM.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to JimmyDiablo For This Useful Post:

sdotjeezy (07-01-2019)

29. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information