News About The Upcoming Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: News About The Upcoming Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing

Thanks
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 598 Posts

News About The Upcoming Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing

There's BIG News About The Upcoming Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing
    Carbuzz
    BY JAY TRAUGOTT
    7/12/2019

Just about everyone was disappointed by the new Cadillac CT5-V and CT4-V. Both are underpowered and not exactly worthy successors to the CTS-V and ATS-V. The good news is that about a month ago we learned that neither one was the top performance dog. A new moniker would be created for Cadillac’s true upcoming BMW M sedan fighters. Although it has yet to officially be confirmed, sources claim the name Blackwing has been chosen.

Blackwing, conveniently enough, is the name of the Cadillac-exclusive 550-hp 4.2-liter twin-turbo V8 in the new CT6-V. So, what will power the also upcoming CT5-V Blackwing and CT4-V Blackwing? According to Motor Trend’s Jonny Lieberman, via Instagram, the former will NOT receive the Blackwing V8 but rather the 6.2-liter LT4 supercharged V8, the very same engine powering the outgoing C7 Corvette Z06 and CTS-V.

It produces 640 ponies in the latter and Lieberman’s sources say that will likely increase to around 670 hp. But best of all – best of all! – is this: a six-speed manual. You read that correctly. Row your own gears, folks. Expect Cadillac to offer an automatic option, likely a 10-speed, as well. Both the CT5 and CT4 ride on GM’s excellent rear-wheel-drive Alpha platform which was engineered from the beginning to accommodate a manual. The current Chevy Camaro also utilizes this platform.

So, what about the CT4-V Blacking? Well, it’s also slated to receive a manual option, but not the LT4. What about the 6.2-liter LT1 V8 currently used in the C7? Nope.
    Instead, Cadillac is going with another familiar engine: the 3.6-liter twin-turbo V6. Yes, the very same engine used in the ATS-V, where it produces 464 hp and 445 lb-ft of torque.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,498 Times in 3,761 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Cadillac CTS Performance

Re: News About The Upcoming Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing

Still hate the name very much, but I'm sure the car will be cool.

AWD too, pls.
    Current:

2016 Cadillac CTS4 2.0T Performance

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Envoy4Life For This Useful Post:

buildacariwant (07-17-2019)

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

That's just stupid if true. You have a state of the art motor in the new blackwing and you put 8 year old tech. I didn't buy the CTS-V because that motor whined so much under power and of course lost significant power at altitude. With the new turbo's having no lag its ridiculous to not go with blackwing motor in a car named blackwing. There is a reason all 3 german auto makers use turbo motors, its better tech, better gas mileage, better performance. Will GM ever learn?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Busterchops For This Useful Post:

LithiumVsport (07-27-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Dang...that'll be awesome if true. None of the Blackwings will have a Blackwing. Can't make this stuff up.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '17 Nissan Versa Note

Hidden Content

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

bongos2u (07-18-2019),buildacariwant (07-17-2019),CadillacSA (07-17-2019),Mr.Buttons (07-17-2019),RedSkyBlackDream (07-17-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 664 Posts

Same tired LT1 we've seen forever? That's a hard "pass" for me.. Why not the "Blackwing" V8 ?

This makes no sense at all to me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Busterchops View Post
    That's just stupid if true. You have a state of the art motor in the new blackwing and you put 8 year old tech. I didn't buy the CTS-V because that motor whined so much under power and of course lost significant power at altitude. With the new turbo's having no lag its ridiculous to not go with blackwing motor in a car named blackwing. There is a reason all 3 german auto makers use turbo motors, its better tech, better gas mileage, better performance. Will GM ever learn?
    I love the whine, hell my Dodge makes a whining noise under hard Acceleration and it doesn't have a blower, probably need to get that checked out. Anyway, I don't have an issue w/ the SCV8, that gives it an unapologetically American character.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '17 Nissan Versa Note

Hidden Content

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

Mr.Buttons (07-17-2019),SKH (07-17-2019)

SKH
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,733 Times in 1,701 Posts
    My Ride
    LR Discovery '17 SiliconSilver

Quote Originally Posted by bmwboy2007 View Post
    Same tired LT1 we've seen forever? That's a hard "pass" for me.. Why not the "Blackwing" V8 ?

This makes no sense at all to me.

Using this engine makes perfect sense for the CT5-V BW, and also using the ATS-V engine for the CT4-V BW. Most of the engineering has already been done and the associated costs amortized, so the ROI is much greater than if they used the BLACKWING V8.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SKH For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (07-18-2019),criticalmass (07-17-2019),Vagon11 (07-17-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SKH View Post
    Using this engine makes perfect sense for the CT5-V BW, and also using the ATS-V engine for the CT4-V BW. Most of the engineering has already been done and the associated costs amortized, so the ROI is much greater than if they used the BLACKWING V8.
    Perhaps so, but you're listing financial motivations, the sort of imperatives demanded by bean counters, not the pursuit of a class leading product, which should be more than a factor here.

The argument you cited should be more of a priority for the volume brands, not Cadillac.

If you want to be known for building segment leading vehicles, (and I would argue that's exactly where Cadillac should be), you need to go all in on building the best vehicle you can, and price accordingly.

Thanks

Perhaps so, but you're listing financial motivations, the sort of imperatives demanded by bean counters, not the pursuit of a class leading product, which should be more than a factor here.

The argument you cited should be more of a priority for the volume brands, not Cadillac.

If you want to be known for building segment leading vehicles, (and I would argue that's exactly where Cadillac should be), you need to go all in on building the best vehicle you can, and price accordingly.
    Well to be completely honest here, they're kind of building the best car possible, I'd like to think that the LT4 is lighter/more compact/powerful than the BW so you sort of have 2 advantages in place already, better F/R balance for handling purposes and better acceleration. Using the BW would make it more complex just for the sake of it being more complex...what advantages other than NVH would the BW have over the LT4?
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '17 Nissan Versa Note

Hidden Content

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

61BelAir (07-17-2019),SierraGS (07-21-2019)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar 61BelAir's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    Well to be completely honest here, they're kind of building the best car possible, I'd like to think that the LT4 is lighter/more compact/powerful than the BW so you sort of have 2 advantages in place already, better F/R balance for handling purposes and better acceleration. Using the BW would make it more complex just for the sake of it being more complex...what advantages other than NVH would the BW have over the LT4?
    I agree with this 100% but you're thinking logically and logic has no place in a conversation where personal opinion is more important than the facts.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 61BelAir For This Useful Post:

criticalmass (07-17-2019),jzchev28 (07-18-2019),Mr.Buttons (07-17-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 61BelAir View Post
    I agree with this 100% but you're thinking logically and logic has no place in a conversation where personal opinion is more important than the facts.
    Logic is less of a factor in the realm of luxury goods, to say the least. The fact the Blackwing engine is a Cadillac exclusive would give it cachet over the more pedestrian LT4, and it's not clear to me that more power would be required over a Blackwing.

A Cadillac exclusive engine certainly has more appeal and bragging rights over a Chevrolet engine.

Perhaps there should be a Blackwing CT5 V that's less about prioritizing neck snapping performance and 'Ring times, and more about prestige and luxury with more than adequate performance.

Thanks

Lieberman's stupid fantasy is not the news! Just his thoughts. That idiot does not even realise that CT5 is a D class car. Priced from 37k btw.

It won't get the old 6.2

Blackwing V8 baby. And *uck his dumb thoughts.

Thanks

I'll be short. That journalist is wrong.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to bronx13 For This Useful Post:

megeebee (07-18-2019)

SKH
    Thanks
    My Ride

Let me clarify. The CTS-V and ATS-V engines are great engines whether the developments costs have been recouped or not. For sure they'll fettle both engines for the CT4/5 and they'll be even better than they were. The fact it gives Cadillac better ROI and improved profit margins by reusing these power plants (even after the added cost of enhancing them) is a plus not a negative.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to SKH For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (07-18-2019)

SKH
    Thanks
    My Ride

Perhaps there should be a Blackwing CT5 V that's less about prioritizing neck snapping performance and 'Ring times, and more about prestige and luxury with more than adequate performance.
    They have that. It's called the CT5-V and has 355HP and 400ft-lb.

27. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information