GM Inside News Forum banner

New CT5 Spyshots

9K views 52 replies 26 participants last post by  jry 
#1 · (Edited)
Anybody want to give a try to figure out how large or small this is in comparison to CTS and ATS.

Here’s our first look at the upcoming Cadillac CT5, spied undergoing testing in what appears to be a mid-level development stage while wearing a significant amount of camouflage.

At the front, this CT5 prototype shows headlights that have a similar “boomerang-like” shape as those on the Cadillac Escala concept, with a new horizontal accent light joining the primary light unit and the vertical accent light seen on current Cadillac model. Meanwhile, the hood features very prominent surface styling elements very much reminiscent of those on the current CT6 and CTS. Notably, the hood has a scoop, making us wonder if the model we’re looking at here is a mid-tier performance model in the form of a CT5 V-Sport. Alternatively, the scoop might simply be part of the camouflage, and not at all part of the aesthetic or functional elements of the CT5.

Though it’s challenging to tell exactly how big the vehicle actually is from these shots, it does appear to be smaller than the current, third-generation Cadillac CTS and larger than the first-generation ATS. This lends more credibility to rumors that the CT5 will be positioned as a “tweener” model between the compact and midsize luxury sedan classes.

Notably, the roof line flows into the rear end in a much smoother fashion than what we currently see from the ATS and CTS. This gives the vehicle a sportback-like profile seen on such models as the BMW 4 Series Grand Coupé, Audi A5 Sportback and the new Buick Regal Sportback. But while those vehicles all feature a liftback-style hatch, we believe that the Cadillac CT5 will stick with a traditional trunk.

Despite the heavy camo, we can make out that the CT5 tester is wearing “boomerang-like” taillights – another design trait from the Escala concept. We’re not quite sure why the tester has what appears to be a horizontal light strip along the decklid, but we suspect it’s meant to confuse passers-by and enthusiasts like ourselves into thinking that we’re looking at a prototype for the next-generation Dodge Charger. Finally, the Cadillac CT5 tester also features horizontal exhaust outlets at the very bottom, which are similar to those used on the third-gen Cadillac CTS from the 2014-2016 model years. The outlets were swapped to vertical units for the 2017 model year.
Cadillac Society

See less See more
#4 ·
It sure would be nice to see the manual trans make a return in this generation.

#5 ·
I think there is some confusion as to how the lineup will pan out in the future, so many people saying so many things though from JDN it sounds like the CT5 is going to be between the size of the ATS and CTS and replace both with a RWD sedan coming that will be smaller then the ATS. It just sounds to me that the CT6 will in fact end up facing the BMW 5 series, Mercedes E class, and Audi A6 with a car that will slot above it Escala. After all if the CT5 is smaller then the CTS then how is it going to face the E, 5, and A6? on top of that there are rumors of CT4 replacing the ATS and CT5 replacing the CTS.

#6 ·
Cadillac's already internally alluded to CT6 as it's "midsize" offering, so it appears as though CT5 will indeed straddle the compact/midsize segment, and CT4 will be aimed more towards the CLA/2-series.

#29 ·
Who knows? Perhaps they should get some more life out of the under appreciated ATS Coupe by giving it ESCALA/CT6 V Sport inspired front and rear and an all new interior from the CT4. It would be a relatively cheap and fast way of getting another 'New' Cadillac into the showrooms. As it wouldn't be entirely new, CT4 nomenclature probably wouldn't fly as JDN said the new designations are for 'All New' product, not facelifts. If that is the case, then give it a name like Cadillac Estoril, or similar.

#38 ·
Gen 2 CTS sized.

ATS is too small, CTS 3 rd gen too large.

GM s move to separate segments unfortunately hit the market as cuv s are in greater demand.

#46 ·
Yes...but the ATP is much higher :blah:

#44 ·
I think the "tweener" concept may be a little off. Looking at how the competition has been morphing (size wise) into larger and larger areas, Cadillac may just be on the forefront and be putting out a product that the competition will need to catch up to. If this is smaller than CTS and larger than ATS, I see it as more of the ATS replacement competing at where the 3/C/A4 will be in a generation.

I think the strategy may be shifting to a lead and not follow front.

#49 ·
Someone will eventually figure out a notchback sedan will be so distinctive and rare that people will buy it, despite a small decrease in highway mpg.

It is surprising how much the stylists ape each other when there are so many different car brands now. I blame Bangle for starting the current trend of busy-ness.

#50 ·
Just bored by Cadillac and most sedans these days...

I guess I too am ready to move the family transport to a cuv.

The Land Rover velar is a interesting product starting at 50grand although I’m intrigued by full ev products coming even more.

#51 ·
Damn you, Damn you all to hell lol! When I saw some new activity in this thread, I thought some new spy shots had surfaced. Darn it.:rant:

Okay despite my disappointment, I’m predicting we’ll see new spy shots within 3-4 weeks. Normally when I make these predictions I find out they surfaced a day before and I missed them lol.

#52 ·
I was going to post last night that the hood bulge might not be fake because the sides are so smoothly integrated and a Turbo V8 might need the height. Then I noticed the XT6 had one also. Is the center of the hood that worth hiding, or is this Cadillac's new design language?

What we can see of both cars looks awfully pedestrian. Both beltlines are nearly flat, which will make the back seats feel roomier at least. The interiors had better be as beautiful and distinctive as they are functional.

I'm hoping they'll offer a NA version of the 4.2 V8 to replace the 3.6 in both sedans, but I doubt that will happen. Yuge prestige payoff, IMO, even if the power increase isn't that big. Why go to so much trouble for an extremely low volume engine? Time, money, and engineers better spent elsewhere.

#53 ·
Yeah, Push the wheels out a touch further. Make it a smidge wider and keep it at around 195 inches long. Give it better driving dynamics, offer it with that same 335 HP V6, the Twin Turbo 6 and call it a day. The original CTS was WAY TOO small. If this is a BMW 5 fighter, that's cool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.