Motor Trend: 2020 Cadillac CT6 4.2TT AWD: We Test the CT6's Blackwing

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motor Trend: 2020 Cadillac CT6 4.2TT AWD: We Test the CT6's Blackwing

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Robert1969's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,786 Times in 759 Posts

Motor Trend: 2020 Cadillac CT6 4.2TT AWD: We Test the CT6's Blackwing

2020 Cadillac CT6 4.2TT AWD: We Test the CT6's Blackwing
    Handicapping the CT6’s comparison-test chances against an Audi A8/RS 7, BMW 750i/M5, or a Mercedes S560/E63 S.
    Motor Trend
    Sep 18, 2020
    By: Frank Markus

At least as important as adding power is reducing weight, and the CT6's Omega-platform chassis, derived from the Alpha platform that has been so well received in other Cadillacs and the Camaro, weighs in at just 4,407 pounds in its fully loaded Platinum trim (the sportier CT6-V likely weighs less). That's 185 to 698 pounds less than any recent A8L, BMW 750i, or Mercedes-AMG S 63 we've measured. Comparing against the slightly smaller V-8 competitors it more closely matches in price, our CT6 Blackwing weighs 174 pounds less than our last E 63 S 4Matic and is about 140 pounds heavier than the BMW M5s we've weighed. Fitted with magnetic ride-control shocks and a sophisticated multi link front and rear suspension, the CT6 seems well equipped to battle these worthy competitors.

The 60-mph mark flashes by in 4.1 seconds en route to a 12.4-second 113.0-mph quarter mile. That handily quashes the BMW 750i (4.3 and 12.7 seconds) and entry non-V-8 Audi and Mercedes flagships, but the Audi RS 7 and the Mercedes-AMG S 63 handily smoke the Cadillac (3.3/11.5 and 3.4/11.6 seconds, respectively), as do the smaller E 63, M5/M6, and even the BMW M550i xDrive. The CT6-V would doubtless shave a few tenths off that performance, but it probably won't vanquish the industry stalwarts.

The story's pretty much the same on cornering, where the CT6 posted a reasonable 0.91g average lateral grip—better than 750i/A8L (0.90/0.89 g) while falling short of the grip displayed by the zootier full- and midsize sport sedans. That's not bad performance, given the Cadillac's more ride-oriented Goodyear Eagle Touring tires, which only managed a 119-foot stop from 60 mph—that's 3 to 22 feet longer than any of the considered competitors. Available Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 summer tires on the CT6-V would no doubt improve notably on both of these results. (Our figure-eight course was not available due to the global pandemic.)

Cadillac strikes a nice balance in this CT6 between providing reasonable driving dynamics when your adrenaline is running, and relaxed touring behavior when it's not. Body motion control is composed, steering feel is good for the class, and the brake pedal feels better than its lackluster stopping distances suggest. The 10-speed Hydra-Matic transmission is superbly paired with this engine and programmed so well as to obviate the need for shift paddles. Could this 4.2TT or possibly a well-driven CT6-V outrun an S 63, Alpina B7, or S8 on a French corniche in a Ronin-style bad-guys chase? Possibly not, but presuming you don't die in the chase, you'll revel in the soothing Bose Panaray tunes and find it much easier to wind down while driving the CT6 4.2L Platinum home afterwards with the Super Cruise set (presuming someone maps the French Autoroutes).

Read more at link above...
    Last edited by Robert1969; 09-18-2020 at 04:42 PM.
    I am on the border of genius and crazy. I keep trying to cross over into genius, but ICE keeps sending me back to the crazy side of the border.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Robert1969 For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (09-18-2020),Cobaltss_King (09-18-2020),mbukukanyau (09-18-2020)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 2,951 Times in 1,536 Posts

Re: Motor Trend: 2020 Cadillac CT6 4.2TT AWD: We Test the CT6's Blackwing

Can't deny the CT6s performance chops but damn that interior is far behind the other full sizers...instead of making it 600lbs lighter perhaps they should've used that lightweighting money & thrown some more leather and some style inside.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

asrapid1 (09-19-2020),RedSkyBlackDream (09-24-2020)

Thanks

With the transmission programming and TMS system setup more aggressively and with acceleration in mind, I wonder how well she’d do against the M5/E63/RS7
    "More powerful, quicker and outright faster than a comparable BMW, Cadillac’s newest model is the best reason to skip the letter M and head all the way down the alphabet to V."
    Current Rides: 13’ Audi A3 Hatch TDI
    17’ Cadillac CT6 3.6
    16’ Cadillac ELR

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobaltss_King For This Useful Post:

RedSkyBlackDream (09-24-2020)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Robert1969's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,786 Times in 759 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    Can't deny the CT6s performance chops but damn that interior is far behind the other full sizers...instead of making it 600lbs lighter perhaps they should've used that lightweighting money & thrown some more leather and some style inside.
    CT6 Platinum money gets you into base of the other full sizers which don’t have a V-8, and also like the S 450, have leatherette seating, you get full leather semi-aniline leather in the CT6 Platinum. Of course the other full sizers don’t have Super Cruise. There’s lots of reason to choose the CT6 Platinum over its full-size competition.
    I am on the border of genius and crazy. I keep trying to cross over into genius, but ICE keeps sending me back to the crazy side of the border.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert1969 For This Useful Post:

Scrambler (09-20-2020)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,304 Times in 4,032 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Mother should never have killed this car, especially since there is no XTS

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

91fairladyZ (09-19-2020),ksr (09-24-2020),RedSkyBlackDream (09-24-2020),rockyspaw (09-25-2020),sledgehammer777 (09-24-2020)

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks
    I love how this thing looks on the outside. Inside on the other hand...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,183 Times in 656 Posts

Agreed
    Although its interior design, materials choices, and trim patterns aren't as fabulous as those of the new Escalade,
    All that weight savings alluded to above costs the Cadillac somewhat in terms of noise isolation. It's just not quite as quiet in here as it is in an A8, 7 Series, or S-Class.
    So combining interior from Escalade (or something similar) and putting some money in insulation (weight goes ups) could put this car closer to present A8, 7series and old S class...and Lexus LS. Of course the price would be higher then.

But we will never know. Obviously GM saw no reason for refining its top sedan.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by asrapid1 View Post
    Agreed

So combining interior from Escalade (or something similar) and putting some money in insulation (weight goes ups) could put this car closer to present A8, 7series and old S class...and Lexus LS. Of course the price would be higher then.

But we will never know. Obviously GM saw no reason for refining its top sedan.
    Probably everyone but Mercedes loses money on these Sedans. They do not have Escalade Equivalents either.. For Cadillac, the joke is on those still building these and losing money.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    Probably everyone but Mercedes loses money on these Sedans. They do not have Escalade Equivalents either.. For Cadillac, the joke is on those still building these and losing money.
    I highly doubt they are loosing any money on their top sedan class. Maybe in future this will change (but i see that competition is very adaptive to changes).

Cadillac probably lost more money since they were much cheaper (and still not selling in number competitor sells their cars)

Unfortunately i think here joke is on Cadillac. They neglected sedan segment and will have hard time in future proving they are worthy competitor. Even buyers in home market rather choose competitors than a Cadillac. Probably one of the reason why CT6 is not in production in N.A any more.

I thought it would be nice if Cadillac offered even more powerful CT6, and also put Blackwing engine in other Cadillac vehicles (to spread the cost).
    I assume those vehicles would cost too much for people willing to own Cadillac.

Maybe there are more and more buyers which are willing to pay more money to get new gadgets, gimmiks etc. in EV and are not bother with quality of interior, fit and finish, or a design of interior (like the one in new S class ) Just slap couple of screens and Voi la

17. The Following User Says Thank You to asrapid1 For This Useful Post:

sdotjeezy (09-19-2020)

Thanks

With the transmission programming and TMS system setup more aggressively and with acceleration in mind, I wonder how well she’d do against the M5/E63/RS7
    Against M5 and E63 it would lose.
    It would probably lose even against M550 Xdrive.

But i don't think pure performance should be main thing for CT6 ..so what if it needs 0.1 s more time to 60 mph or if it has slower time on track by one second. Yes it is fun to talk about those things on forum but maybe GM should try putting more emphasis on luxury and beating them in that game? They did make very fast and nimble sedans. But did people suddenly start to buy Cadillac sedans over competition...i don't think so.
    But we will never find out.
    Last edited by asrapid1; 09-19-2020 at 04:28 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,951 Times in 1,536 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by asrapid1 View Post
    I highly doubt they are loosing any money on their top sedan class. Maybe in future this will change (but i see that competition is very adaptive to changes).

Cadillac probably lost more money since they were much cheaper (and still not selling in number competitor sells their cars)

Unfortunately i think here joke is on Cadillac. They neglected sedan segment and will have hard time in future proving they are worthy competitor. Even buyers in home market rather choose competitors than a Cadillac. Probably one of the reason why CT6 is not in production in N.A any more.

I thought it would be nice if Cadillac offered even more powerful CT6, and also put Blackwing engine in other Cadillac vehicles (to spread the cost).
    I assume those vehicles would cost too much for people willing to own Cadillac.

Maybe there are more and more buyers which are willing to pay more money to get new gadgets, gimmiks etc. in EV and are not bother with quality of interior, fit and finish, or a design of interior (like the one in new S class ) Just slap couple of screens and Voi la
    Exactly...it isn't like these are $25k Accords we're talking about here. The Germans get by in this segment because buyers are willing to shell out the big bucks to purchase these 100k+ full-sizers. Just because GM can't figure out how to turn a profit, that doesn't mean they can't.

Keep in mind also that the other brands don't have an "Escalade" because those are too big for European roads...the GLS/X7/Q7 is probably as big as they'll ever go maybe Cadillac should get off their ass and build a proper entry to the Med/lg 3 row CUV segment.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

asrapid1 (09-19-2020),RedSkyBlackDream (09-24-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2017 Ford Mustang Pony

I had the pleasure to meet Lutz at a university alumni function and suggeted that Cadillac needed a halo car. He said no because big luxury sedans lose money. Customers lose money big time on depreciation as well.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Burr View Post
    I had the pleasure to meet Lutz at a university alumni function and suggeted that Cadillac needed a halo car. He said no because big luxury sedans lose money. Customers lose money big time on depreciation as well.
    Makes total sense, looking at Audi A8, the price drops like a rock

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,573 Times in 1,597 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

Why do you assume that when GM pulls out of a class/market that everyone else must be losing money?

Could it be that GM is just incompetent?
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VS Ute 5Litre For This Useful Post:

RedSkyBlackDream (09-24-2020),sdotjeezy (09-23-2020)

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '05 300C - '09 G8

Keep in mind also that the other brands don't have an "Escalade" because those are too big for European roads...the GLS/X7/Q7 is probably as big as they'll ever go maybe Cadillac should get off their ass and build a proper entry to the Med/lg 3 row CUV segment.
    Exactly. Your Buick Enclave is beautifully done. That Cadillac XT6 is NOT. Everyonehere on GMI praises that hot *ss mess though yet being in the third largest city in the USA behind NYC and LA, I do not see them running around in popularity. Actually, I am Caddy's biggest cheerleader and I haven't seen A SINGLE ONE on the road. If they are selling, then perhaps they are so vanilla I don't spot them. Sad.

26. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information