Meet Your 2012 Cadillac Lineup - Page 10

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Meet Your 2012 Cadillac Lineup

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) germeezy1's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Re: Meet Your 2012 Cadillac Lineup

Quote Originally Posted by boblutzfan View Post
    If I could afford a 550i with the six speed manual I would!
    Can you afford a brand new CTS 3.6 with a manual if GM decided to make one specifically for you?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2002 Caddy View Post
    GM almost always had a couple of three cars and trucks on the EPA guzzler tax list going back to the late 80's...
    Care to name all those cars back to the late 80's? Only one I recall back then may have been the original ZR1.

And also, there is no guzzler tax on trucks. Never has been.

Here's the 2009 list. I see loads of BMW's and Merc's.

http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/guzzler/420b08016.pdf

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano View Post
    Absolutely. I think most people who care to spend time thinking about this realize that CAFE had nothing to do with Cadillac's dropping of the Ultra V8 program. It's far more likely to do with inter-management arguing and cost cutting.
    And that I can half understand because of the costs of designing a brand spanking new DOHC V8 from the ground up, but instead of what why not do the alternative; which is just spice up the 2010? RWD Northstar W/ 320 Hp and add some goodies such as Direct Injection which would allow them to raise the compression ratio to about 11:3:1 minimum if not 11:5:1 such as the 3.5 is, upgrade the bore/stroke from 4.6 liters to 4.9-5.1 liters, tweak the variable valve timing and ECU's injector pulse width & maybe add bigger injectors and also maybe change the head while raising the compression ratio to have larger/more efficient valves/valve designs. That would be about a 5th of the cost of designing a new motor and their still left with a V8 thats been around since 1992 so all the bugs and cinks are worked out, and is DOHC, quiet & churns out 400+ horsepower. PROBLEM SOLVED = AWD/RWD 5.0 DOHC 32V VVT Northstar V8 making like 420 Horsepower & 415 Lbs of torque

What more do you need, even if it isn't a completely new motor which nobody is commanding GM too do.
    Last edited by andy2003si; 04-22-2011 at 10:31 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member Sal Collaziano's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    RENNtech E63 AMG

Quote Originally Posted by andy2003si View Post
    And that I can half understand because of the costs of designing a brand spanking new DOHC V8 from the ground up, but instead of what why not do the alternative; which is just spice up the 2010? RWD Northstar W/ 320 Hp and add some goodies such as Direct Injection which would allow them to raise the compression ratio to about 11:3:1 minimum if not 11:5:1 such as the 3.5 is, upgrade the bore/stroke from 4.6 liters to 4.9-5.1 liters, tweak the variable valve timing and ECU's injector pulse width & maybe add bigger injectors and also maybe change the head while raising the compression ratio to have larger/more efficient valves/valve designs. That would be about a 5th of the cost of designing a new motor and their still left with a V8 thats been around since 1992 so all the bugs and cinks are worked out, and is DOHC, quiet & churns out 400+ horsepower. PROBLEM SOLVED = AWD/RWD 5.0 DOHC 32V VVT Northstar V8 making like 420 Horsepower & 415 Lbs of torque

What more do you need, even if it isn't a completely new motor which nobody is commanding GM too do.
    That would be fine as well as the new Ultra V8 that was basically finished before production was canceled.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,230 Times in 1,931 Posts

GM's Stated policy and what actually happened were (as usual) two very different things... GM almost always had a couple of three cars and trucks on the EPA guzzler tax list going back to the late 80's... Take a look at the list... Lexus seems to dodge it.... Things that make you go hmmm... Its not CAFE and its not the Guzzler tax. In 2009 the Corvette, the STS and the XLR were all subject to the Guzzler tax...
    Quote Originally Posted by 70W30 View Post
    Care to name all those cars back to the late 80's? Only one I recall back then may have been the original ZR1.

And also, there is no guzzler tax on trucks. Never has been.

Here's the 2009 list. I see loads of BMW's and Merc's.

http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/guzzler/420b08016.pdf
    Thank you 70W30.

It's not often appreciated that the automaker that pays the largest "Guzzler Fees" to the EPA every year is either Daimler Benz, or BMW. It depends on how high sales are and of which models of course, but these two companies are invariably number one or two on every years list. I laugh because I know so many self-styled environmentalists who drive BMW's.(And many of them have MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS!)

Last edited by megeebee; 04-22-2011 at 11:15 AM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Quote Originally Posted by megeebee View Post
    Thank you 70W30.

It's not often appreciated that the automaker that pays the largest "Guzzler Fees" to the EPA every year is either Daimler Benz, or BMW. It depends on how high sales are and of which models of course, but these two companies are invariably number one or two on every years list. I laugh because I know so many self-styled environmentalists who drive BMW's.(And many of them have MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS!)

Another reason why GM's LSx family is so good, great performance, small physical size and much better BSFC than the Germans. The Northstar engines always were rated at and got better gas mileage than cars like the E500 and the 540i.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 2002 Caddy's Avatar
    Thanks

Thank you 70W30.
    Thanks for what? He posts a question that he knows the answer to.. In a direct attempt to make it look like the Devilles, Limo Chassis, Allantes, Fleetwoods, Caprice, Vettes, Impala, and Parisienne Sedans and Wagons that violate GM's so called Gas Guzzler car ban don't exist...If he can find the 2009 EPA report, he can find all of the EPA reports back to the early 80's

Sure the list is littered with BWM and MB... What does that prove? That they build luxury cars to a better standard? or that GM purposefully, intentionally and continually hobbles its luxury division.

GM's on again off again excuses that any of its problems are as a result of CAFE is just that... an excuse. Also interesting that one of the fastest other fastest growing luxury brands, Lexus, is not on that list until 2011... Looks to me, as I have posted before, that CAFE compliance has little to do with any of this.

To anyone who cares to look it is clear that you can build a successful luxury brand that falls within CAFE standards (as Lexus did) or you can build a successful luxury brand where better than half your cars pay a surcharge, like MB. OR you can do like GM and throw darts at the board, give it all lip service and then blame it when you customers all leave for option B, option M, or option L.
    Proposed Cadillac Tag Lines...
    GM's "Back to the Future" Division,
    GM's Deja Vu Division,
    Cadillac is Truck.
    Cadillac is Cadence!
    Cadillac, you have to crawl before you walk,
    Cadillac V8? Whats a V8?
    Cadillac, the potential of mixed feelings!
    The New Cadillac Flagship: The Chevy Corvette.
    Proposed Volt Tag Line..
    People who don't like the Volt haven't driven one, and
    People who hate the Volt listen to too much talk radio.

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Thanks for what? He posts a question that he knows the answer to.. In a direct attempt to make it look like the Devilles, Limo Chassis, Allantes, Fleetwoods, Caprice, Vettes, Impala, and Parisienne Sedans and Wagons that violate GM's so called Gas Guzzler car ban don't exist...If he can find the 2009 EPA report, he can find all of the EPA reports back to the early 80's

Sure the list is littered with BWM and MB... What does that prove? That they build luxury cars to a better standard? or that GM purposefully, intentionally and continually hobbles its luxury division.

GM's on again off again excuses that any of its problems are as a result of CAFE is just that... an excuse. Also interesting that one of the fastest other fastest growing luxury brands, Lexus, is not on that list until 2011... Looks to me, as I have posted before, that CAFE compliance has little to do with any of this.

To anyone who cares to look it is clear that you can build a successful luxury brand that falls within CAFE standards (as Lexus did) or you can build a successful luxury brand where better than half your cars pay a surcharge, like MB. OR you can do like GM and throw darts at the board, give it all lip service and then blame it when you customers all leave for option B, option M, or option L.
    Lexus has lead ALL luxury car makers for ten years.....is the 2012 Cadillac lineup really going to affect what happened ten years ago?

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Could someone in charge of this forum please put a stop to this childish nonsense. The original post dealt with whether Cadillac would build a coupe and wagon for the third generation CTS.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jpenn View Post
    Could someone in charge of this forum please put a stop to this childish nonsense. The original post dealt with whether Cadillac would build a coupe and wagon for the third generation CTS.
    No, it didn't. The first post in this thread detailed changes made by Cadillac.

And this is a discussion forum. Why would you ban nonsense on forums? None of my posts make any sense because everyone ignores me. Haha.
    AWD wagons
    The Opel Astra and VW Scirocco need to be in North America.
    Feeling Good by David Burns

How Greece voted NO to austerity:
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Why isn't there a "Meet Your 2013 Cadillac Line-Up" thread?
    "The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere the ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity. "

W.B. Yeats- 1919

Thanks

Why isn't there a "Meet Your 2013 Cadillac Line-Up" thread?
    As a matter of fact...https://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...lineup-110086/
    "Here's to Mr. Iacocca and his failed experiment, the DeLorean!" - The Office

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cdp326 View Post
    ooops.
    "The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere the ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity. "

W.B. Yeats- 1919

16. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread Information