Johan de Nysschen: The Cadillac of Interviews - Page 3

  1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

    Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!
     
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 130

Thread: Johan de Nysschen: The Cadillac of Interviews

  1. #31
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    7,714
    Thanks
    6,299
    Thanked 2,166 Times in 1,344 Posts

    Re: Johan de Nysschen: The Cadillac of Interviews

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    I disagree. No matter what you do, a small block will always be a Chevy engine, even if you get it 95% as smooth as a true luxury engine. Small block = Chevy. Car magazines and reviewers will always bring up it is a Chevy engine, just like they don't let anyone forget about the Cimmaron. And yes, thanks for agreeing that I'm not an engineer, but I don't think there is anything they can do that will make my 2.0T BMW smooth.
    The LS Engine is a GM Powertrain V8 NOT a Chevy V8 and has been used in the Top Level trims of Cadillacs for years, so not sure where you got the idea that it is a "Chevy" V8 and FYI there are and will be many BMW and Mercedes powered by it in the future. One of the quickest, cheapest and UPGRADES from BMW's Turbo I-6 has been the LS V8, same for Mercedes. Just like the guy in his AMG S63 found out when I was all over his backside and had to brake to keep from running over him on the freeway as he was doing the slow roll and punch it routine, had to LOL when he sheepishly exited at the first opportunity and that was in a bone stock Crew Cab Truck that weighs 5,500 lbs. What do you think a 1,000 HP TT Cadillac sedan would have done to him???? You really need to watch some You Tube videos to appreciate how insanely fast a TT LS V8 makes just about anything and not sure what anyone is talking about smoothness as I can rarely hear my 6.2L run, only when I get on it do I hear the engine and is sounds good. I can rarely even feel the V8 to V4 transition and the 8-speed transmission is far more of need for NVH and updating than the Engine. As you all will learn, nobody is going to care much about the overpriced Cadillac DOHC V8 that was never needed and will never be used in the application the LS V8 will be and no doubt many will be ripped out of older Cadillacs and the LS V8 engine that should have been in there from the beginning will take its place and the Cadillac will perform much better. Going to happen and happen often.....

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  3. #32
    Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The land of the hethan
    Posts
    10,069
    Thanks
    1,459
    Thanked 3,367 Times in 2,213 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

    Re: Johan de Nysschen: The Cadillac of Interviews

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed753 View Post
    GTP - If I'm reading you right, you are talking on a perception/psychological basis; on that regard, no you can't put the genie back in the bottle, Sierra is speaking on the physical aspects.

    The fix there is design for Cadillac and use on the others down the road?..............

    I don't follow all the iterations, but the HF V6 was originally a Caddy mill, correct? Some ~15 years has passed it is watered-down now.
    HFV6 was a JV with Cadillac and Holden but Holden did the development work.

    Holden had the job of developing smaller engines (Holden 3.2, LP1 and Saab 2.8, LP9 Turbo) as well as their own Holden 3.6 HFV6 (called the Alloytec V6) for local models.

    Remember the Cadillac SRX turbo that was so bad they withdrew it from sale?
    Cost cutting was necessary to keep the HFV6 engines affordable and I suspect that some fundamental compromises and assumptions were made that were the root cause of serious issues that became apparent.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to jpd80 For This Useful Post:

    BlackGTP (04-20-2019)

  5. #33
    2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    875
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 336 Times in 213 Posts

    Re: Johan de Nysschen: The Cadillac of Interviews

    I feel like that the HFV6 gets a bad reputation that it doesn't deserve, I would still pick the 3.6L N/A engine over the 3.0T engine going into the new CT5 as at least in the Camaro it sounds great. The 3.0L engine got beat up on and called a bad engine when in reality the issue with that engine is that it was put in a vehicle that was too heavy for the amount of torque it produced. Being only 3.0L it only made 223lb-ft of torque which is about what the BMW 3.0L I-6 engine made in the BMW 5 series at the time. The problem came from the 4,300 pound SUV that they put it in, maybe with a CVT or a 10 speed automatic would that have worked (but would have been shifting all the time). That engine in the ATS with a manual would have been great considering the ATSs much lower mass 221lb-ft of torque would have been more then enough and revving the engine out would have been fun.

    Back on topic is something that I have been saying for a long time, GM is a brand that is focused on the mass market which is why it struggles with niche markets. This problem as pointed out isn't just a problem with GM but many of the mass market companies have this issue as well. The mass market people are just focused on things like big numbers and market share which isn't a good mind set to have if you want to produce for niche markets. You are not going to move 500,000 Corvettes a year and when a company has that mind set they suddenly can't justify spending the money to develop the Corvette over other vehicles when it won't sell in such volumes. This is also why it (at least fundamentally) doesn't make sense to compare their performance offerings to niche brands like Ferrari and Lamborghini. We should be comparing things like Saleen, Mosler, and Lucra to those brands and not Dodge, Chevy, and Ford. The 5th generation Viper is a car that I would gladly own over my current ride (a 2013 C6 Z06) as that car is just sexy and fast. Though I feel like it took a company that had a much better grasp of niche markets to touch that car and make it that much better then it was.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roadkillz For This Useful Post:

    BlackGTP (04-20-2019),richmond2000 (04-21-2019)

  7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  8. #34
    News Contributor BlackGTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    13,773
    Thanks
    5,331
    Thanked 7,656 Times in 3,870 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

    Re: Johan de Nysschen: The Cadillac of Interviews

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed753 View Post
    GTP - If I'm reading you right, you are talking on a perception/psychological basis; on that regard, no you can't put the genie back in the bottle, Sierra is speaking on the physical aspects.

    The fix there is design for Cadillac and use on the others down the road?..............

    I don't follow all the iterations, but the HF V6 was originally a Caddy mill, correct? Some ~15 years has passed it is watered-down now.
    Quote Originally Posted by SierraGS View Post
    The LS Engine is a GM Powertrain V8 NOT a Chevy V8 and has been used in the Top Level trims of Cadillacs for years, so not sure where you got the idea that it is a "Chevy" V8 and FYI there are and will be many BMW and Mercedes powered by it in the future. One of the quickest, cheapest and UPGRADES from BMW's Turbo I-6 has been the LS V8, same for Mercedes. Just like the guy in his AMG S63 found out when I was all over his backside and had to brake to keep from running over him on the freeway as he was doing the slow roll and punch it routine, had to LOL when he sheepishly exited at the first opportunity and that was in a bone stock Crew Cab Truck that weighs 5,500 lbs. What do you think a 1,000 HP TT Cadillac sedan would have done to him???? You really need to watch some You Tube videos to appreciate how insanely fast a TT LS V8 makes just about anything and not sure what anyone is talking about smoothness as I can rarely hear my 6.2L run, only when I get on it do I hear the engine and is sounds good. I can rarely even feel the V8 to V4 transition and the 8-speed transmission is far more of need for NVH and updating than the Engine. As you all will learn, nobody is going to care much about the overpriced Cadillac DOHC V8 that was never needed and will never be used in the application the LS V8 will be and no doubt many will be ripped out of older Cadillacs and the LS V8 engine that should have been in there from the beginning will take its place and the Cadillac will perform much better. Going to happen and happen often.....
    Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    HFV6 was a JV with Cadillac and Holden but Holden did the development work.

    Holden had the job of developing smaller engines (Holden 3.2, LP1 and Saab 2.8, LP9 Turbo) as well as their own Holden 3.6 HFV6 (called the Alloytec V6) for local models.

    Remember the Cadillac SRX turbo that was so bad they withdrew it from sale?
    Cost cutting was necessary to keep the HFV6 engines affordable and I suspect that some fundamental compromises and assumptions were made that were the root cause of serious issues that became apparent.
    Yes, I did switch gears and changed to perception.

    Part of why I did that was yes, I am not an engineer and can not argue my point at length. But what I do have is a set of eyes and 30+ years of reading about GM's engines. What I have seen is GM keeps using Chevy level engines with some upgrades (2.0T, HFV6), neither of which is smooth enough to go head to head with BMW. I think GM has amazing engineers and they have not been able to make either of those engines BMW smooth. I do not know if that is cost constraints or the basic architecture that stops them, I suspect a little of both, but if the basic architecture was good enough they wouldn't need expensive modifications to make them BMW smooth. Based on GM's history I have to say the engines need to be designed as Cadillac engines first and Chevy second, not the other way around.

    And the V8 argument now switches over to perception. Yes, they are awesome engines. But they are known for powering Chevys and I don't care how smooth they are. Big block and small block are synonymous with Chevy. Cadillac needs to get away from that to make a name for itself. Cadillac can't be V8 only due to CAFE rules, that ship passed 30 years ago. Plus the V8 is to heavy for cars like the ATS which is about handling first.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

    richmond2000 (04-21-2019)

  10. #35
    News Contributor BlackGTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    13,773
    Thanks
    5,331
    Thanked 7,656 Times in 3,870 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

    Re: Johan de Nysschen: The Cadillac of Interviews

    Quote Originally Posted by DeathtoGMFordChrysler View Post
    You think that GM would have a foreign CEO?
    Now that is an interesting question! If I asked a similar question 10 years ago "You think that GM would have a female CEO", we'd all probably say "no chance", yet we have one now. I don't think GM's BOD will let just any foreigner be CEO, for example if Marchionne was still alive I don't think he'd ever have a shot, but someone else might have a shot. If JDN's plan doesn't get tinkered with too much and it proves successful over the next several years, he could be invited back.

  11. #36
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8 ral1960's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3,327
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 342 Times in 199 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 DTS Perf-Plat

    Re: Johan de Nysschen: The Cadillac of Interviews

    " One of them was that there was only one common manufacturing quality standard for all the brands."

    Quality manufacturing put Cadillac on the map, and Cadillac saved General Motors in its early years.

    Who is responsible for Cadillac's lateness to the CUV bandwagon?
    Was JdN brought in to further Cadillac's German sports sedan direction, and did he? IMO, he is responsible for the engineering, styling, and limitations of XT4, XT6, and CT5. Of course, compromises were made because of money.

    I wish we knew more about their plans for the V8. I want to see some version of it in their mainstream vehicles.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to ral1960 For This Useful Post:

    richmond2000 (04-21-2019)

  13. #37
    Corvette C7 megeebee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    16,688
    Thanks
    5,070
    Thanked 3,230 Times in 1,931 Posts

    Re: Johan de Nysschen: The Cadillac of Interviews

    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDiablo View Post
    We always hear about the disfunction at GM, but it still is just as shocking everytime.
    Ya. Thank goodness all other Automakers on Earth, and every other Consumer Product company, are perfect.
    "The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere the ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity. "

    W.B. Yeats- 1919



    .

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to megeebee For This Useful Post:

    rand49er (04-21-2019)

  15. #38
    Corvette C7 megeebee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    16,688
    Thanks
    5,070
    Thanked 3,230 Times in 1,931 Posts

    Re: Johan de Nysschen: The Cadillac of Interviews

    I wonder what Mr. De Nysschen thinks of the reactions to his CT5.

    It seems there are a lot of newly minted fans of his here, that don't much like his creations.
    "The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere the ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity. "

    W.B. Yeats- 1919



    .

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to megeebee For This Useful Post:

    BlackGTP (04-21-2019),ral1960 (04-20-2019)

  17. #39
    2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 CMiatso DaBang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    771
    Thanks
    329
    Thanked 764 Times in 355 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by megeebee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDiablo View Post
    We always hear about the disfunction at GM, but it still is just as shocking everytime.
    Ya. Thank goodness all other Automakers on Earth, and every other Consumer Product company, are perfect.
    But when it comes to BAD PR, over the last century, no other company on Earth has been raked over the coals as much as General Motors. I think it has to do with them being a provider of so many jobs for the last 110 years. People hate them for it. Wait... Wha.... 😕
    My current crop is 2016 CTSV Fully loaded, 2016 Corvette Z06 3LT fully loaded, 2015 GMC Yukon SLT Fully loaded, 2014 Impala LTZ, fully loaded, 2011 Chevy Cruze (kid's) LTZ, fully loaded, 1966 Chevy Impala SS 396 4spd Muncie 3.73 gears, 2003 Harley Softail with Rinehart exhaust, 2016 Harley Night Rod Special Hidden Content

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to CMiatso DaBang For This Useful Post:

    megeebee (04-22-2019)

  19. #40
    News Contributor BlackGTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    13,773
    Thanks
    5,331
    Thanked 7,656 Times in 3,870 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

    Re: Johan de Nysschen: The Cadillac of Interviews

    Quote Originally Posted by CMiatso DaBang View Post
    But when it comes to BAD PR, over the last century, no other company on Earth has been raked over the coals as much as General Motors. I think it has to do with them being a provider of so many jobs for the last 110 years. People hate them for it. Wait... Wha.... ��
    When I first graduated and worked in public accounting, one of the senior partners said "you need to do 100 things right to cancel out ONE wrong". No doubts GM (and Ford and Chrysler) did one huge wrong for a couple of decades - bad quality. How far along are they on "100 rights" to redemption?

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

    rand49er (04-21-2019),richmond2000 (04-21-2019)

  21. #41
    News Contributor BlackGTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    13,773
    Thanks
    5,331
    Thanked 7,656 Times in 3,870 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

    Re: Johan de Nysschen: The Cadillac of Interviews

    Quote Originally Posted by megeebee View Post
    I wonder what Mr. De Nysschen thinks of the reactions to his CT5.

    It seems there are a lot of newly minted fans of his here, that don't much like his creations.
    And I'd love to see exactly what JDN wanted to put on the road and someone higher at GM vetoed.

  22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

    RedSkyBlackDream (04-23-2019),richmond2000 (04-21-2019)

  23. #42
    2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 CMiatso DaBang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    771
    Thanks
    329
    Thanked 764 Times in 355 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CMiatso DaBang View Post
    But when it comes to BAD PR, over the last century, no other company on Earth has been raked over the coals as much as General Motors. I think it has to do with them being a provider of so many jobs for the last 110 years. People hate them for it. Wait... Wha.... ��
    When I first graduated and worked in public accounting, one of the senior partners said "you need to do 100 things right to cancel out ONE wrong". No doubts GM (and Ford and Chrysler) did one huge wrong for a couple of decades - bad quality. How far along are they on "100 rights" to redemption?
    It went deeper than that though. With GM, I'm particular, then Ford, then Chrysler.. It became political. The UAW, along with teamsters, had a helluva thing going in with politics. Still do. In fact had Hillary went to Ohio and certain other places in the Belt.. We would have different daily headlines I'm willing to bet.
    My current crop is 2016 CTSV Fully loaded, 2016 Corvette Z06 3LT fully loaded, 2015 GMC Yukon SLT Fully loaded, 2014 Impala LTZ, fully loaded, 2011 Chevy Cruze (kid's) LTZ, fully loaded, 1966 Chevy Impala SS 396 4spd Muncie 3.73 gears, 2003 Harley Softail with Rinehart exhaust, 2016 Harley Night Rod Special Hidden Content

  24. #43
    2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 CMiatso DaBang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    771
    Thanks
    329
    Thanked 764 Times in 355 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by megeebee View Post
    I wonder what Mr. De Nysschen thinks of the reactions to his CT5.

    It seems there are a lot of newly minted fans of his here, that don't much like his creations.
    And I'd love to see exactly what JDN wanted to put on the road and someone higher at GM vetoed.
    Based on this conversation.. I'm still not sure we aren't already. I think U said above that Mainstreaming was the initial goal.. JDN, wanted this apparently. And that makes sense. Benz, BMW, and Lex are all mainstream. U don't get into anything special with them until U cross a certain tier within the brands. Lexus in fact really isn't very "special" at all except the gorgeous LC. I think people having this thought that Cadillac should be a alternative to Rolls again is ridiculous. Bentley sure, to a degree.. In the same way that the S600 is. But that's kinda where it should stop. If GM wants to have a Rolls competitor, for whatever reason, see if they can buy the name Dusenburg. Mainstream and then have a special tier is the profitable and viable solution. Hence why we have CLAs and GLAs sitting on the same lots as GWagons and SClasses. Cadillac should have a CT1, imo, give it great handling, an interior in par with not ab A3, but a A4... and make it the true entry before the CT3. And I say that with a companion hatch CT2 in mind. A LOT OF PEOPLE think that Benz is winning the sales race month to month with nothing but SClasses. Pleeease
    My current crop is 2016 CTSV Fully loaded, 2016 Corvette Z06 3LT fully loaded, 2015 GMC Yukon SLT Fully loaded, 2014 Impala LTZ, fully loaded, 2011 Chevy Cruze (kid's) LTZ, fully loaded, 1966 Chevy Impala SS 396 4spd Muncie 3.73 gears, 2003 Harley Softail with Rinehart exhaust, 2016 Harley Night Rod Special Hidden Content

  25. #44
    5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,488
    Thanks
    574
    Thanked 1,303 Times in 657 Posts
    My Ride
    E93, STS, MX5, CRV
    I feel like XT6 gets trashed unfairly on this forum. How many have you have driven the horrendous Q7? Audi phones it in on their large CUVs because that’s all that’s required for the segment.
    "The Artist Formerly Known As Jesda"

  26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jesda1 For This Useful Post:

    91fairladyZ (04-21-2019),megeebee (04-22-2019)

  27. #45
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid sfbreh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    19,202
    Thanks
    7,596
    Thanked 8,701 Times in 5,617 Posts

    Re: Johan de Nysschen: The Cadillac of Interviews

    Quote Originally Posted by jesda1 View Post
    This actually makes GM sound less chaotic than initially believed.

    They're sticking to proven processes that focus on the bottom line, understandable for an industrial icon that very recently collapsed. But of course they risk becoming Nissan, a producer of soulless turds built to a low standard.
    Less chaotic? They made a commitment to the revitalization of Cadillac, drastically changed Cadillac's pricing strategy, moved HQ, hired all kinds of new people, then fired the guy leading the charge and took an axe to everyone else, put a couple of dodo lifers in charge, moved HQ back home, and all in the process of this changed their strategy BACK to what it was 10 years ago.

    That's pretty chaotic, even if you can sum it up pithily.

    Quote Originally Posted by megeebee View Post
    I wonder what Mr. De Nysschen thinks of the reactions to his CT5.

    It seems there are a lot of newly minted fans of his here, that don't much like his creations.
    The last window nixed glass and went with a big splotch of black plastic instead. Do you think that was his idea, or do you think he tried to compromise with that because someone else somewhere at GM said it was good enough and saved enough money to justify a few more square inches of wood?

    Have we seen it elsewhere at GM?



    Quote Originally Posted by jesda1 View Post
    I feel like XT6 gets trashed unfairly on this forum. How many have you have driven the horrendous Q7? Audi phones it in on their large CUVs because that’s all that’s required for the segment.
    I have, and the Cayenne. XT6 is a big flop that may sell, but does not move the needle on Cadillac's perception, which desperately needs improvement—and thus, it is a flop.

    For the segments and brands, sure, they're what you expect from the brand given the nature of the product and segment. The difference is, XT6 is another car that's abandoned the classic DLO for something off of a Volvo, and then just dropped the ball altogether inside.

    What's wrong with XT6? It's exactly what everyone expects from Cadillac. What's right about Aviator? It's nothing like what people expect from Lincoln in the best ways possible.

    Same arguments go for XT4 and Aviator.

  28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sfbreh For This Useful Post:

    CJH (04-21-2019),ryannel2003 (04-21-2019),tgagneguam (04-22-2019)

  29. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 63
    Last Post: 02-24-2015, 07:28 PM
  2. Cadillac Chief Johan de Nysschen Evades Arrest after Misunderstanding
    By Envoy4Life in forum Cadillac & Buick Discussion
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 11-24-2014, 09:38 AM
  3. Official: Cadillac Names Johan de Nysschen President
    By Envoy4Life in forum Global Cadillac News
    Replies: 140
    Last Post: 07-15-2014, 12:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2