Hotter Cadillac CT4-V Prototype Spied Testing at GM's Proving Grounds - Page 5

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Hotter Cadillac CT4-V Prototype Spied Testing at GM's Proving Grounds

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    18 CTS

Re: Hotter Cadillac CT4-V Prototype Spied Testing at GM's Proving Grounds

Quote Originally Posted by SVT74 View Post
    And I would counter that reviews which are positive largely because they value performance above everything else don’t invalidate the market reaction to this car. The more favorable reviews of this car usually mention the very problems that helped lead to sub par sales volume and ADP’s. But, they generally only gave them tacit acknowledgement as they typically spent the majority of the article in awe of the chassis dynamics. That works fine for a weekend review but less well for a consumer looking for a large, E segment luxury car. And again, sales demonstrated this if not by initial volume then by aggressive pricing through cheap leases etc in order to continue moving metal.

Interestingly, your defense of the less than exciting styling of this car by stating ‘BMW doesn’t do that either’ reminds a great deal of what the corporate approach to these cars seemed to be and arguably still is. This is a Cadillac, not a BMW. If Cadillac doesn’t understand why that difference is important here then they have bigger issues than sub par nvh characteristics, and I would argue that this indeed is the case. Had this car been a proper Cadillac it would have sold in higher volume and/or for a higher price even in a down market. As it is sales volume for both the ATS and CTS can be deceiving because of some previously mentioned, fairly aggressive sales tactics even early on. These were definitely not successful cars from a sales perspective.

Ultimately, Cadillac is never going to build a proper Caddy by chasing BMW. And I think that is where the real problem rested her.
    You can nitpick the cars to death but the reality is the cars themselves were right up there with the competition. Cadillac's problem is image, dealerships, and resale value. Takes a long time to turn that around. BMW practically owns the lower tier performance sedan market and Mercedes the upper tier. Most of the dealerships are very high end shops next to Caddy's. But no - let's blame it on the taillights or the names.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LowRider For This Useful Post:

megeebee (07-06-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LowRider View Post
    You can nitpick the cars to death but the reality is the cars themselves were right up there with the competition. Cadillac's problem is image, dealerships, and resale value. Takes a long time to turn that around. BMW practically owns the lower tier performance sedan market and Mercedes the upper tier. Most of the dealerships are very high end shops next to Caddy's. But no - let's blame it on the taillights or the names.
    These cars weren’t even close to being on par with the competition overall and that they were chasing them so directly in the first place was a mistake. I just looked up the first comparison test of the CTS 3.6 against Audi, BMW, and Mercedes by Car and Driver, a magazine which I chose specifically because they were/are one of the most ardent cheerleaders for these cars, and the CT6 finished dead last or tied for last in all of the following categories.

Driver Comfort
    Ergonomics
    Fit and Finish
    Interior Styling
    Rear Seat Room
    Rear Seat Comfort
    Trunk Space
    Engine NVH

The Cadillac finished second overall in the comparison based exclusively on hugely inflated scores for chassis dynamics which, while not a surprise given the venue, are also not indicative of a realistic market response. These cars were sub par copies of what the German rivals were offering in every regard but chassis dynamics and, in certain cases, powertrain. That was never going to be a winning strategy no matter how badly some wish it had been.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    18 CTS

These cars weren’t even close to being on par with the competition overall and that they were chasing them so directly in the first place was a mistake. I just looked up the first comparison test of the CTS 3.6 against Audi, BMW, and Mercedes by Car and Driver, a magazine which I chose specifically because they were/are one of the most ardent cheerleaders for these cars, and the CT6 finished dead last or tied for last in all of the following categories.

Driver Comfort
    Ergonomics
    Fit and Finish
    Interior Styling
    Rear Seat Room
    Rear Seat Comfort
    Trunk Space
    Engine NVH

The Cadillac finished second overall in the comparison based exclusively on hugely inflated scores for chassis dynamics which, while not a surprise given the venue, are also not indicative of a realistic market response. These cars were sub par copies of what the German rivals were offering in every regard but chassis dynamics and, in certain cases, powertrain. That was never going to be a winning strategy no matter how badly some wish it had been.
    Yeah right. Bunch of BS.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LowRider View Post
    Yeah right. Bunch of BS.
    That you don’t like it doesn’t make it bull. Maybe the next stage of development at Cadillac will fare better than this one did. I mean, if Volvo can place a 105k Murphy on the top trim level of the XC90 how much can we really say XT6 is overpriced?

Thanks

That you don’t like it doesn’t make it bull. Maybe the next stage of development at Cadillac will fare better than this one did. I mean, if Volvo can place a 105k Murphy on the top trim level of the XC90 how much can we really say XT6 is overpriced?
    by about $40k...just kidding

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Buttons For This Useful Post:

SVT74 (07-07-2019)

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,507 Times in 3,763 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Cadillac CTS Performance

I think the CTS was absolutely worthy of the Cadillac badge, as was ATS. CTS in specific was a very solid entry, and had few faults compared to the competition. ATS somewhat died on the vine, but that's Cadillac's own fault.
    Current:

2016 Cadillac CTS4 2.0T Performance

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Envoy4Life For This Useful Post:

Mr.Buttons (07-09-2019)

12. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information